Flex hoses - looking for recommendations from users

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

glashoppah

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
50 - 99
Dear Fellow Divers,

I need a recommendation - considering updating my old-sk00l rubber hoses to braided poly flex hoses, but I want to ensure that I'm getting quality gear. Price not important - I want something that's not going to break when I'm 100 feet down. And I don't want recommendation from lurking manufacturers, I've read the sales pitches elsewhere.

So hit me - who makes the best flex hoses, pros/cons, etc? I'm a traditionalist in that I like what works and don't like gimmicks.

Thanks in advance for the advice,

H.

Dear Fellow Divers,

I need a recommendation - considering updating my old-sk00l rubber hoses to braided poly flex hoses, but I want to ensure that I'm getting quality gear. Price not important - I want something that's not going to break when I'm 100 feet down. And I don't want recommendation from lurking manufacturers, I've read the sales pitches elsewhere.

So hit me - who makes the best flex hoses, pros/cons, etc? I'm a traditionalist in that I like what works and don't like gimmicks.

Thanks in advance for the advice,

H.

I think the number one thing to prevent anything from breaking at 100 ft is a simple and regular gear inspections. That being said I do like my miflex hoses but as others have said they tend to remember the coil.

Sent from my DROID RAZR HD using Tapatalk 2

Miflex or high-quality double braided Kevlar hoses are recommended.

As has been posted have a look at DGX they sell Miflex and a clone I own both types and have been diving them for some years without issue. The coil memory is an annoyance on occasion and if you're diving long hose bungee configuration the nylon braids break over time and if not wearing a good can rub uncomfortably on the back of your neck. When these hoses die of old age I'll likely go back to rubber as other than a small weight saving and their ability to coil tighter/smaller in your reg bag I see no benefit over rubber in fact less. Rubber hoses are probably more "traditional" if that's what you're into.

I have gone to braided hoses on all my gear. They are simply more comfortable and more manageable. Recommended!

I'm not into tradition for tradition's sake, I'm just looking for the most bulletproof reliability possible. Rubber hoses have had a good long time to be perfected, and they've certainly proved reliable. My question was therefore twofold: are these braided hoses reliable, and which manufacturer makes the highest quality pre-built hoses with fittings?

I'm probably likely to stick with rubber for my HP gauge hose and maybe for the BCD, since it doesn't move about much, but for my LP reg hose I'm really interested in the flex hose - hate the sensation of that stiff rubber hose torquing the reg constantly when I turn my head.

Thanks again for the continued feedback,

H.

P.S. point about inspections is well-taken, I'm actually psychotic about inspection and maintenance and have it done by pros before every trip.

Two years, and no problems with Phantom (both HP and LP). I also dive a Myflex HP that was replaced under the recall. Have some Myflex LP hoses, but haven't used them....

Yes, they are "rough" on the skin or your wet suit.... No memory issues with Phantom, also no "floaty" issues as reported with Myflex.

I'm not into tradition for tradition's sake, I'm just looking for the most bulletproof reliability possible. Rubber hoses have had a good long time to be perfected, and they've certainly proved reliable. My question was therefore twofold: are these braided hoses reliable, and which manufacturer makes the highest quality pre-built hoses with fittings?

I'm probably likely to stick with rubber for my HP gauge hose and maybe for the BCD, since it doesn't move about much, but for my LP reg hose I'm really interested in the flex hose - hate the sensation of that stiff rubber hose torquing the reg constantly when I turn my head.

Thanks again for the continued feedback,

H.

P.S. point about inspections is well-taken, I'm actually psychotic about inspection and maintenance and have it done by pros before every trip.

Then specific to your question the two braided hoses offered by DGX, Miflex and the other brand, in my experience are reliable. Several hundred dives zero problems bar recall on Miflex HP a year or so ago which have since been "redesigned". I now use a Non braided DuoKev(?) Kevlar HP hose also sold by DGX (not sure if they still sell them though). The BC hose is one that I feel benefits most from braided hoses due to flexibility.

Have been diving the same Miflex hoses for 5 years, hundreds of dives (thousands of miles) and have had ZERO ISSUES. Just bought a new reg set (Apeks XTX50), and put all new Miflex on that rig, as well. I will say though, lots of people say good things about the Dive Gear Express hoses, and they are like half the price of Miflex. I guess it comes down to Made in Italy versus China ??

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom