Fleece pullover under my undies question

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

JKSteger

D/M Wannabee ! ! !
Reaction score
# of dives
50 - 99
My core is getting a little chilled on my dives and I don't have the $$$ to buy the thinker suit. I will be getting a 400g Thinsulate this winter. Until then I was thinking of how I could get warmer and then I had an idea. I have several fleece pullovers that I wear during the fall. I've kind of outgrown some and they are a little form fitting without being tight. I tried it last night under my undies any they fit and I still had good flexability.

Has anyone tried this? I'm going to try it out if it isn't too crazy of an idea.

My suit is 16oz fleece with some coating on the outside (USIA Exotherm II) with this extra layer of fleece I should be warm in the mid 40's water temp for about an hour...at least that is what I'm thinking.

Jeremy

Yeah - the fleece stuff works great. I just started diving dry but while I was renting (before I bought my suit, which came with some undies) I just wore a Columbia microfleece pullover and fleece pants over some long underwear, and was toasty in 50 degree water. For colder water I just added another fleece top and was fine.

I like the fleece because its pretty warm without being too bulky - the Bare thinsulate undergarments that came with my suit are extremely warm, but are bulky and require more weight.

-Nick

I wear a polypro shirt, with a fleece pullover over it, with a 200g Thinsulate jumpsuit over that, and a 200g Thinsulate vest over that. I look like the Michelin man, but it works fine.

Thanks,

Yea, I haven't got COLD yet but I do fill that I'm starting to get COOL. Nothing like when I dove with my 7mil wetsuit! (never going back!!!). I never noticed my legs getting cold at all but my arms were getting there after about 30min.

I'm thinking of looking into some dry glove system for this winter.

Jeremy

Dry Gloves ?!?!?!?!?

Geeeeezzzzzz, you ARE getting WWWimpy ! ! ! !

the K

For what it's worth:

I've been using polypro undies with "sweat pant" fleece and fleece "sweater" top. This kept me warm (generally) under my neoprene dry suit. HOWEVER, I, as a new drysuit diver, had problems with venting and air movement and I "didn't trust my suit" very much. Yes, it kept me warm but....

A few dives ago I bought a fleece Mobby's onepiece suit (lightweight) and -- WOW -- what a difference both in warmth AND in trust in the suit. Now my "problem" is that the suit vents too easily and I can put air wherever/whenever I want it -- left side, right side, neck, feet.

This experience has convinced me (OK, very limited experience/data points) that using "every day" fleece can be a problem. The solution is to get an undergarment that is designed and made to be used under a dry suit. Yup, "See Bud, Bring Money" is our LDS' motto and Oh so true.

The Kraken:
Dry Gloves ?!?!?!?!?

Geeeeezzzzzz, you ARE getting WWWimpy ! ! ! !

the K

In a hurry I might add! It won't be long now and there will be a "break away sect"...Lake Lanier WWWimps!

Jeremy

www.cdsportswear.com

I use the number two. Can't say enough great things about it. I dive dry. I dive a waterheater, and I'm photographing - this means long, LONG slow dives in cold water where I'm moving very little.

My chill has chilled since I got this. Completely rocks.

---
Ken

Ken, is that all you have under your dry suit, or do you have some other jumpsuit over it?

TSandM:
Ken, is that all you have under your dry suit, or do you have some other jumpsuit over it?

This is my base layer. I dive the DUI 300 gr Polartech (former grinchwear, now thankfully gray.) When the water is 53 or below, I go into this. When its 54 and above, I just dive the grey duds.

53 was my cutoff for the last several years for dry gloves. Now I wear dry gloves year round. The DC gloves are quite simply the best exposure investment I've made in my diving in the last 4 years. Unreal. Talk about bang for the buck. The best $75 I've ever spent (eBay so rules....)

---
Ken

Back
Top Bottom