Specific cold spot in my drysuit no matter undergarments.

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Your beard. Look at the soft seals that goes between your neck and the seal. It’s a soft silicone. Don’t know the brand.
I'll check out the Apollos that stretch mentioned.

I did a 75 minute shallow dive today. Before heading out I shaved my neck and powdered it very well. Made getting the suit on a whole lot easier, that's for sure.

Well it was definitely dryer. No doubt about that. Still sweat like a bugger but no creeping damp sensation this time.

Cold spot remained on my chest though.

We had a pretty decent thermocline to work with and the severity of the cold spot correlated with the water temperatures.

So, what I think I have going on here is simply a thin spot in the undergarments due to squeeze. Going try a 3mm neoprene vest on underneath everything just to see what happens.

The centre of your chest is also where you typically have a thin spot in your bioprene.

Thought a quick update in order...

Ordered up an apollo neck seal to see if that would help. Tried it on and found it laid nice and flat on my short neck giving a real good surface for my silicone neck seal to rest upon. Tried my darnedest to get the neck seal to lay flat without rolling and bunching but with my short neck that was effectively impossible.

Anyhow, went for a dive and noticed that the chill had lessened a bit at first but by the end of the dive it was right back to where it had been before using the apollo.

Also is seemed as if the neck seal had stretched as it was real easy to get my fingers between the seal and my neck. So, presuming the seal had stretched too much, and thinking perhaps a latex seal would lay flatter, I picked up a new latex seal at my LDS.

I was going to trim it to my nominal 17-1/2 inch neck size (which has been my neck size since I was 18 and was what it measured when I got the suit this past April) but the Missus suggested I measure where the seal would actually sit on my neck (not that I believed there would be a difference in diameter at a given location)

Anyhow, we measured it and instead of 17-1/2" we came up with 16"!! No matter where we measured we came up with 16". My weight hasn't changed much since April, perhaps 5 pounds, but apparently my neck has changed alot! Finding a reason is a mystery for another day I suppose.

So I got the latex seal and trimmed it three rings smaller than my measurement indicated. Did this in part to give me adjustment room as well as in case my neck contiues to get smaller. Took a dive with it this way yesterday. A bit uncomfortable on dry land at first, but completely unnoticeable when in the water.

I was able to get it to lay flatter against my neck without rolling so that was a significant difference from the silicone. Also found it easier to get it sit in place where I wanted it on my neck. For the sake of simplicity, and not adding more variables, I skipped the apollo this dive.

Made my descent to 20 feet and 60 degree water only feeling the chill of the suit where it was squeezing on me. There was still a bit of a cold spot on my arm that was part squeeze and part shifted insulation...the sleeve of my jacket had shifted up when I put the suit on. As I thought about it, my rigth sleeve always rides up as I am putting the silly suit on. It's a function of the process. Tried several times and the right sleeve always seems to rid up to mid arm, right where the chill spot ends up.

There was also some chill on my chest/core but I quickly deduced this to be a bit more of the squeeze type and rectified with a little more air and a couple of alligator death-rolls to distribute the air better in the suit.

After that there were no more persistent cold spots other than my forearm, and core (correlated to depth/squeeze) but definitely not the clammy chill spot on my chest.

Best of all, after 80 minutes in the water, when I came out I was dryer than I have ever been with the only dampness clearly appearing to be condensation. And the neck seal didn't seem as uncomfortable despite being sized for much smaller than my neck.

Back
Top Bottom