Flathead or Ds-v

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

castanagajt

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
25 - 49
from formulating what the mass has said. I finally bumped out the sherwood maximus. and in with the zeagle line.

Out of the Zeagle Flathead, DS-V, 50-D

so far, I have counted 7 People owns the Flathead 5 owns the DS-V.

I eliminated the 50-d because the DS-V breathes better, more affordable and the swivel can be bought much later. Also the DS-V is roughly 120.00 cheaper than the 50-D

Placement of ports won't be of issue for me.

My question is that the 50-D is cheaper and the spec sheet of the work breathing at heavy demand is 1.09

the flathead work breathing at heavy demand is .91 I would think that a diver won't be able to feel the difference at all depths until say 200ft then the Flathead prevails.

Between DS-V or Flathead. Help me pick the no.1 regulator.

I have 2 of each, so far I haven't been able to tell the difference between the 2 at recreational depths. I love my DSV and really only got the Flathead's because of a pretty good deal through my shop. I don't think you can go wrong with the DSV for the price.

Little story, last summer my buddy had a massive freeflow in about 125 feet of water, and at the time I was using a DSV as my primary on my doubles and an Oceanic Omega II as my backup. When I handed off my DSV to him and popped the Omega in my mouth (which is known as a super smooth breather) it actually struck me by surprise how much more laboured the Omega was over the DSV. That DSV gives TONS of air and you'd never have a problem with it.

Best reg for the money on the market as far as I'm concerned.

Jim

It'll be interesting to hear if Scott explains any differences between the two regs. Both my husband and I dive Zeagle regs (he dives a Flathead) and I just don't see how you can go wrong with owning ANY Zeagle regulator.

Why don't you call ScubaToys and see what their prices are for both regs, then ask what the differences are? Don't forget you get 10% off automatically for being an SB member. Oh yeah, and don't pay attention to the price on their website, that's not likely what you'll pay.

now to bring the 50-d back into it, isn't the 50-d and the dsv the same except that the 50 has a swivel on the 1st stage

I love my DSV. Been diving it for about 3-4 years now and I love it more everytime I go for a dive. I was out diving it today and had to dial the venturi almost all the way back to keep it from breathing for me. How much easier can you ask a reg to breath than having it breath for you. From what I know the DSV and the 50-D are the same reg just the swivel addition, which hurts the airflow.

The Flathead VI is supposed to be a much better reg, but its a little more expensive. But for me, I have 2 sets of the DSV and am completely happy.

so you can just add this swivel adapter Zeagle Express - Swivel Elbow - and it will be just like the 50-d?

No, the 50D has the swivel on the first stage, not the second stage. The DSV is virtually identical to the 50D, but because of the swivel, the 50D has lower performance, and not as smooth airflow through the first stage body. For a similar price I would take the DSV for sure.

Jim

thanks Jimmer. I can't decide which to get first now. i will eventually own two 50's and two DSV's. Want to put the 50's on the deco's and use the DSV on my back tanks. the 50's fold up smaller for the deco's. any opinions on this setup? advice?

thanks Jimmer. I can't decide which to get first now. i will eventually own two 50's and two DSV's. Want to put the 50's on the deco's and use the DSV on my back tanks. the 50's fold up smaller for the deco's. any opinions on this setup? advice?

That's not a bad idea at all. I have 2 DSV's for stages, but I think if I ever need more I'll get 50D's, because as you say, the swivel let's them fold down better, and then fold up to use the second stage. If I were you, I'd get the DSV's first, a little cheaper, and since they are going to be your backgas regs at some point anyway, you might as well get used to them.

P.S. where are you located? If you're local I don't have a problem letting you try out my DSV or Flatheads if you come down for a dive.

Jim

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom