Flashtrax 20G First Impressions

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

mjh

Contributor
Reaction score
So for all of you looking for something a little less cumbersome to pack around than your laptop here is my experience so far with the Flashtrax.20Gig unit. The main reasons I went with this unit are; price, ease of use, and ability to review pictures. My goal is to edit pictures while on a long trip, no coming home w/2000 pics to review.

Construction:
Made of a fairly heavy plastic equivalent to your standard portable CD player. General construction is also about on par with an average CD player. Not as well constructed as IPODS or high end cell phones. Buttons are also plastic in a silver to make them look like metal. This is probably the weakest point, IMHO. They feel a little flimsy, will have to see how the hold up over time and repetitive use.

Instruction Manual:
Is adequate. At first you think it will be very detailed but seems thick only because it is written in about 7 languages. The instructions on how to download pictures and review them are easy to follow. As are how to hook it up to your TV and computer. The unit also allows you to zoom, rotate images, see them in thumbnail form, etc; instructions regarding these functions are not very well detailed. Fortunately even a “non-techy” like myself was able to figure out most of the functions via trial and error.

Functions:
I am still playing with the various functions of the unit. To download pictures you just plug your card into the unit and hit “Copy”. The unit has your standard “keyboard” for naming files via up, down, left, right, enter, arrows. It is very easy to download to your computer. It is able to store JPEG and RAW files. There is a decent tutorial and the unit does have limited help features. There are several options for viewing files; I prefer the “thumbnail” mode.

Screen Image Quality:
We all have experienced seeing a picture displayed in our camera’s screen that looked great but when you downloaded to the computer it looked horrible. The screen on the Flashtrax gives a fair view of the image. It is very easy to see what ones are keepers and those that need to be deleted. When I compared the images on the Flashtrax to my computer monitor they were very similar.

General:
The small rechargeable battery that comes with the unit is good for about 2.5 hrs. I estimate the 20 gig unit could hold about 760 RAW NEF images and +2000 JEPG Fine. It takes about 4 minutes to down load 36-40 RAW images 36 JEPG take less than a minute. I like the unit; I just hope the construction holds up over time.

Thanks for the review. I've been on the verge of buying an alternative for storage but have always been concerned that the screen wasn't good enough to critique the photos accurately. I need to see them well enough to tell where I need improvements or need to fix something I'm doing wrong.

I think you will find the screen on the FlashTrax will do the trick. Of course you can't see fine detail but you can tell exposure and focus issues.

mjh:
I think you will find the screen on the FlashTrax will do the trick. Of course you can't see fine detail but you can tell exposure and focus issues.

That's all I need. The only advantage to the laptop as I use it is I burn the originals to CD every day for a backup.

Can you see the photos EXIF info?

They range from US$330 for the 20G to $600 for the 80G. It was about the best deal for a unit that has a good screen. If I had not done this I would have gone with the Image Tank G2.

Dee, yes you can get all the info on the shot. The unit does give you several ways to review your pics.

I say get an ipod and so you can carry your tunes out on the boat, after the dive, dump your photos to your ipod. You could get a 20gig ipod with the card reader that goes with it for around $350.00. It will hold your pictures, your music, any contact info, notes, and more. A wonderful thing it is!

Whoops...just saw where you wanted to edit while on the road...knocks the ipod out.

bubble blower, the Flashtrax can download MP3s just have not had a chance to play with it yet. Plus would make me a little nervous having it out on most dive boats I've been on.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom