Flashtrax 20G First Impressions

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Not to throw a monkey wrench into your thought process but I see no need to edit pictures on a trip on a portable device (not counting a full on lap top computer). All that can be done at home on a good software program. Never mess with your originals. You have to download two copies of the originals in order to edit one on the trip on a portable device such as the one you suggest. Editing pics in a portable device will not compare to the quality of Photoshop or some other program. I think a simple inexpensive storage device is all that is needed to free up your memory card(s).
Vosoinc X's Drive Pro is $105.00 + the cost of a lap top hard drive to put in it. The total price is under $200 with a 20 gig HD.

I have a FlashTrax also and used it on my last dive trip..I love it. I connected it to my room's TV and replayed all of the days shots and critiqued them and made changes the next day.

For me that is all I need, but I think Dee and I discussed awhile back that she prefers a laptop which would give better resolutions/detail for her. The Flashtrax does not replace a laptop in this manner, but obviously is much smaller and cheaper...you can play MP3's on it, as well as videos and store another other kind of files, it can be used as a backup for your computer files. The point I am making is it can be used like a laptop, lets face it, the majority of people use their laptops for nothing more besides work.
I don't need a laptop, so I went with the Flashtrax. If I ever get into critiquing my work at the level Dee does, then I will get a laptop.

Jason

As I mentioned I don't want nor can take another vacation to review pics taken on 1-2 week dive trips. Once I'm home "life" gets in the way of playing with the pics on the computer. So the FlashTrax allows me to dump the obviously "bad" shots due to exposure or composition. The key for me was finding a unit with a screen that gave a image close to what I would see on my computer.

allows me to dump the obviously "bad" shots due to exposure or composition.

This was my theory when I was looking into a portable unit.

Then I started with the RAW pics and now some that would have been tossed, don't get tossed. I don't toss anything until I have really had a chance to look at it...even my bad shots help me learn and are too valuable at this stage of my photographic development.

I do toss stuff that is so clearly out of focus etc that it can be seen on the monitor of my camera. Other than that, pics sit in a file on the hard drive and I get to them when I can.

This flashtrax looks like a great little unit and I'll add it to my list :) (Though lately I have to drag my laptop around for other things anyway...)

But...be careful what you throw away!!

Back
Top Bottom