Flaming Gorge from Denver

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

RonFrank

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
Flaming Gorge is about the same distance from Denver as BH. I've been to Flaming Gorge, but last I was without a boat, and that did not stack up to the memories I had as a kid when we boat camped there.

I'd love to dive this spot, but I would like more input as I have not been there from a diving minded point of view.

Is a boat necessary? Can you rent power boats? I saw some nice boats for rent, but expensive at over $300 a day!

Where do folks dive?

Is air available and if so where?

Where do you stay? I know there is some camping, are there other options?

We were trying to plan a trip here long ago with Capt. Snot (SB member) whom has not been on the board for a while. Maybe he will chime in, but any info would be appreciated.

I just drove past Green River on Sunday and the conversation excitedly turned toward diving Flaming Gorge. I'm committed to going sometime between now and when snow flies.
If its possible to rent a boat, then its an EZ adventure. Drive out, boat, dive, fish camp, and have fun! Its actually about 2 hours less driving time than Blue Hole or The Crater. So...early August?

I haven't been there since I was a kid. We used to go there before we found Lake Powell almost 40 years ago. I think we went to Dutch John or Dutch Springs or something like that, then boated up lake. I remember that the nicer campgrounds were on the Utah side.

I might be interested in going. I have a boat, but it's not dive-friendly. It's a 20-ft ski boat. I've dove off it, but it only has space for 3-4 people's gear - max ... even though it's rated for 11 or 12 people.

Does anyone have any current info about where to dive, where to camp, and such? I would be interested in doing this, but I'm out of state the first two weekends in August, and I leave for a cruise the first weekend in Sept.

Just spent the weekend there.
Is a boat necessary?
No
Can you rent power boats?
Yes
Small Boat Rentals on Flaming Gorge Reservoir
Where do folks dive?
A few popular spots. Mustangareamap. Look for the bold red lines for where to go.
Flaming Gorge Diving Map
Cart Creek Bridge; Requires a hike down the hill with gear assembled or a couple trips in pieces. Enter from the left side going towards the Visitors Center. Basically a wall dive.

Visitor Center - Mary Ann Island (Osprey Island); Shore or boat. Right hand side of island is a wall going down to 400ft. Caverns, fish pinnacles. We had about 40ft vis on Sunday. Left side is more gentle slope with plenty to see. Cave line runs a "course" you can follow to see the sites.

Gilligan's Island; Boat or really long surface swim. More walls, pinnacles, rock formations, over hangs and caverns. Cave line should still be in place. Haven't been there this year to verify.

Mustang Ridge; Boat unless you like to hike or surface swim. Another wall dive with over hangs. About 90ft.

? Gulch (forgot the name due to CRS) Shore entry, shallow, about 40ft. plenty of fish

Dutch John Draw is hit and miss. Lots of plant life and fish if it's a hit. If it's a miss it's a mud marsh stinky dive.

Is air available and if so where?
Closest air is in Vernal at Atlantis Divers unless they are at the Gorge training. About an hour away. Some LDS's will haul an air bank up there.

Where do you stay? I know there is some camping, are there other options?
If you don't like camping you can stay at one of the lodges.
Hotel and Lodging Information for Flaming Gorge National Recreation Area, Utah / Wyoming

I'll be back to the Gorge in late July or August.

I have been thinking about going the first week in August since I am not going to Sturgis Bike Week this year.

If we end up with a group, I'll bring a generator and my compressor. Extra tanks too. It sounds like there are quite a few dives to be had. Maybe rent a pontoon boat as a good dive platform and party barge!

I dove Flaming Gorge about a week ago. We did not have a boat which you will need to dive the islands. They will not let you dive from the Visitors center anymore. You will be asked by the Police to go somewhere else. They are worried someone will plant explosives on the dam. You can however, launch your boat and pull right up next to the buoys about 100' from the dam and have no one bother you (go figure).

Across the lake from the visitors center is Sunny Cove which is one of the only places in Flaming Gorge that has a designated swim area. The spear fishing was great and the diving was beautiful. Sunny Cove is right nest to Mustang Ridge. We wanted to look for trinkets under the cliff diving area, but my hood was killing my jaw so I didn't wear it and it got nice and cold at the lower depths and we forgot our dive lights.

I am planning on going back up since with a boat later this year, but I highly enjoyed the dive from Sunny Cove.

They will not let you dive from the Visitors center anymore. You will be asked by the Police to go somewhere else. They are worried someone will plant explosives on the dam. You can however, launch your boat and pull right up next to the buoys about 100' from the dam and have no one bother you (go figure).
Sure you can. We dove off the dock by the visitors center both days the same weekend as you, and 3 weeks prior, and I personally asked the two officers in the parking lot if there were issues. Both said no issues. Also a supervisor in the visitor center said no problems but said if you're injured (anywhere on the lake) you'll be fined.

OK I'll do my best to be safe.

Sure you can. We dove off the dock by the visitors center both days the same weekend as you, and 3 weeks prior, and I personally asked the two officers in the parking lot if there were issues. Both said no issues. Also a supervisor in the visitor center said no problems but said if you're injured (anywhere on the lake) you'll be fined.

OK I'll do my best to be safe.

Fined for what? Scuba Diving? Or getting injured? :confused:

The reason I'm asking is that I know a lot of Law Enforcement is "looking the other way" regarding enforcing some laws, with limited resources, but can't do that once there is an accident or injury involved.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom