Flaming Gorge from Denver

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Fined for what? Scuba Diving? Or getting injured? :confused:
Injured

Conversation basically went like this;
"Will there be any issues if we dive off the dock and over by the island?"
"No but technically it's against the law to dive anywhere in the lake."
"WHAT? Against the law to scuba dive? That's a new one on me"
"Nobody enforces it but know that if you get injured you'll be fined"
"OK" :confused:

Walking away I wondered if they thought I meant diving as in cliff diving or diving off the boat.

Wow, this was really confusing to me. I know that at Lake Powell, cliff diving (over 15-ft) is illegal. Also, scuba diving in marinas and at launch ramps is illegal. But that's about all.

I searched the web, and found lots of unofficial (i.e., not US Gov't sites) talking about scuba diving. Since I could find anything official, one way or the other, I called the Flaming Gorge District Ranger, Manila, UT office and asked. The lady who answered the phone said there were no restrictions. When I relayed what R0gue above said about the visitor center person, she put me on hold and checked with the District Ranger himself. No restrictions on scuba diving. She did say that if you parked or possibly even entered or exited the water from one of the designated swim areas, then you would have to purchase the requisite Recreation Pass.

I'm not that familiar with the area, but it is prudent not to dive, without permission and surface support, in a Marina or at a launch ramp. The Federal Regulation prohibit diving in areas where it is not feasible for routine vessels to abide by the regulations to keep clear of scuba divers.

As an aside, I a couple years ago I found a group of divers who tried to close the whole Escalante River arm at Lake Powell by placing dive flags about 50-ft apart across the river. They left them whether there were divers in the water or not. Clearly, that didn't last, and they were prohibited from continued diving in that area.

Sure you can. We dove off the dock by the visitors center both days the same weekend as you, and 3 weeks prior, and I personally asked the two officers in the parking lot if there were issues. Both said no issues. Also a supervisor in the visitor center said no problems but said if you're injured (anywhere on the lake) you'll be fined.

OK I'll do my best to be safe.

OK, that is messed up. We took our scout crew down a few days before our dive to tour the Dam and I asked the 2 Police officers standing there and they said that they do not allow diving from the dock any more. I was then told by one of our DMs that you can. Later that evening while talking about it with 2 other divers they were told they couldn't dive from the dock while they were gearing up earlier that day. ODD

I guess I will press my luck and try and dive from the dock next time I go up.

I guess I will press my luck and try and dive from the dock next time I go up.

Docks and Marinas typically prohibit scuba diving. Both Wyoming and Utah require all divers to display the Diver's Flag. Both states prohibits vessel operation within 150 feet (Utah) or 100 Feet (Wyoming) of a Diver Flag. This would basically shut down operations within a Marina or on a Dock/Pier. Of course, exceptions do exist (like for commercial dive operations) and permission may be obtainable, but without permission, you would be pressing your luck. Isn't there anywhere other than a dock where you could dive?

Isn't there anywhere other than a dock where you could dive?

The only other one that I know of in the vicinity is Sunny Cove where was at, but its across the channel and a nice very long swim to the islands from there. Also according to Utahdiving.com you cannot deploy your dive flag while swimming across to the islands because it is a boating lane or something like that it it would be interfering with traffic. It is suggested to deploy your dive flag once you reach the islands.

The only other one that I know of in the vicinity is Sunny Cove where was at, but its across the channel and a nice very long swim to the islands from there. Also according to Utahdiving.com you cannot deploy your dive flag while swimming across to the islands because it is a boating lane or something like that it it would be interfering with traffic.

Could that be because it's prohibited to scuba dive in a "boating lane" or "interfering with traffic":confused:

It's not the flag they are worried about, it's the diver! :shakehead:

It is suggested to deploy your dive flag once you reach the islands.

Sounds like a subversive way of that dive.:shocked2:

If you want to camp is somewhat primitive conditions Dutch John Draw is good. I have mountain biked all around the Gorge. I even once got caught skinny dipping with a girlfriend by a tour boat of Mormon senior citizens! I have never dove there, however.

Is it wet or dry suit diving?

Bumping this to see if anyone wants to meet up. Some of us are going September 12th & 13th.

Is it wet or dry suit diving?
Either. 7mm or dry.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom