FL shark diving

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

However Randy will not supply you with bubblewrap. Unfortunately you'll have to bring your own, along with a flag. I think my favorite boat to dive off of other than my own, is Randy Jordan's Emerald Charters. Sometimes I enjoy diving with him more than on my own boat. The sea life is incredible, Randy is a great guy, and the dives are always action packed. The dive flag thing is a red herring. The fishing boats run over the dive flags too. If sharks are your thing, his boat cant be beat. If you have an issue with spearfishing, you should avoid his boat.

Yes, this is the operation for this for sharks "in" Palm Beach.....It will also be a plus if you have a mindless disregard for responsible diving practices, and don't really care that much if someone gets bitten or worse.

If shooting cobia off the backs of bullsharks sounds like good video to you, then you will be in hog heaven :)

---------- Post added February 20th, 2013 at 08:29 AM ----------

An additional item for amusement..... I was pissed about the cobia blasting off the back of bullsharks and the GoPro videos resulting from this on Spearboard----so I posted over there about how crazy dumb this was-----and not only did the majority of spearboard guys dissagree with me--my suggestions about the stupidity of Randy's shark dives ( the way they shoot fish to bring in sharks, and then shoot the cobias and frenzy the sharks), began increasing Randy's business to the point of selling out his trips... :)

Dan, don't be a pompous ass. You got ridiculed on Spearboard because you came off like an expert on everything diving. I'm sold out because I work hard and do a good job. Now, you want to publicly question my safety record. You can't hide here either. Learn what I do or quit hiding behind your keyboard. Expert divers actually dive. Get off the boat.

Dan, don't be a pompous ass. You got ridiculed on Spearboard because you came off like an expert on everything diving. I'm sold out because I work hard and do a good job. Now, you want to publicly question my safety record. You can't hide here either. Learn what I do or quit hiding behind your keyboard. Expert divers actually dive. Get off the boat.

At what??

The dive flag thing is a red herring. The fishing boats run over the dive flags too. If sharks are your thing, his boat cant be beat. If you have an issue with spearfishing, you should avoid his boat.

I enjoy spearfishing and sharks, however, I loathe operators that flagrently disregard dive flag laws and place their divers at risk. Kind of makes you wonder how they get insurance. Yes, there are times fishing boats run to close to dive flags. I witnessed it myself recently, when the dive op did not have a dive displayed on the boat and low light and ocean conditions were such that the diver's flags were not easily visible.

If you have divers in the water with flags properly displayed, you can call LE and if a boat is in the area, you have an opportunity to get satisfaction. No op will call LE if their own divers are not compliant with the law.

Carrying a flag is not that difficult, there's no excuse.

To RJNJUPITER.... I've heard nothing but great things about your operation, and you are correct about Dan Volker. But..... your divers should be in compliance with dive flag laws....

Just Sayin'.....

Last edited:
To RJNJUPITER.... I've heard nothing but great things about your operation, and you are correct about Dan Volker. But..... your divers should be in compliance with dive flag laws....

Just Sayin'.....

I assume from the context of your statement that you have never been out with Emerald to actually see how the operation is run, but you are going to lecture Randy about how his operation should be run.

FWIW, I do agree with you about Dan.

I assume from the context of your statement that you have never been out with Emerald to actually see how the operation is run, but you are going to lecture Randy about how his operation should be run.

FWIW, I do agree with you about Dan.

In the words of David Lee Roth, "I know the law, friend." Many cannot relate to that statement and most THINK they know. I am all for dive flags. When you dive off my boat in a drift, I require them. I wont argue they are a great way to keep track of your divers in the water. But I use my BOAT as a flag/battering ram to ward off approaching vessels. Also my HornBlaster Home Page horns to get their attention when they get too close. But its my boat, and I set the rules. On Randy's boat, he sets the rules. And I have never heard him say "no dive flags allowed"

Below is a direct C&P from the FWC website. By making statements that Randy is somehow breaking the law, or that he is "dangerous" is unfair to Randy, and is yet another example of "Forum Doggery" Get your fact straight before you start making wild accusations.

Below is the divers down law for FLORIDA in its entirety. These laws may vary from county to county as well so be sure to check the local ordinances as well.

• The size of divers-down flags displayed on vessels must be at least 20 inches by 24 inches, and a stiffener is required to keep the flag unfurled. Dive flags carried on floats must be at least 12 inches by 12 inches. Also, divers-down flags on vessels must be displayed above the vessel's highest point so that the flag's visibility is not obstructed in any direction.
  • Divers must make reasonable efforts to stay within 300 feet of a divers-down flag on open waters (all waterways other than rivers, inlets, or navigation channels) and within 100 feet of a flag within rivers, inlets, or navigation channels.
  • Vessel operators must make a reasonable effort to maintain a distance of at least 300 feet from divers-down flags on open waters and at least 100 feet from flags on rivers, inlets or navigation channels. Vessels approaching divers-down flags closer than 300 feet in open water and 100 feet in rivers, inlets and navigation channels must slow to idle speed.
  • When divers are out of the water, a dive flag may not be displayed.

I have my own boat, so no, I do not dive with the commercial outfits in South Florida or the Keys. I am out on the water quite a bit, either fishing or diving, so I cover the same water. And see most of the ops in the area. And it is all to common to see boats (private and commercial) or divers not displaying a dive flag.

It is not my purpose to indict or bash or commit "Forum Doggery" on any particular op. In fact I applauded Capt. Randy when he found the WWII plane. It was a great discovery. As I said in a previous post, I have heard nothing but superlatives about Emerald Charters. My comments are for any boat, Private or Commercial that puts divers in the water. There is no reason not to obey dive flag laws. And yes, it is a safety issue.

I agree with fdarden and often have to position my boat between approaching vessels and my divers. When diving on the weekend it is a common occurance. During fishing tournaments it can get hairy. And I also agree that the Captain does make the rules. One of the rules must require divers to carry a flag. One exception of course is if the boat is tied off to a wreck and the divers will be within the required distance.

When drift diving in S. Fl. with two or three or more groups in the water, it is very unlikely that divers could stay within, or even make a reasonable effort to remain within 300' of the boat.

If divers complain about the drag of a flag line, I might suggest pulling what ever line they have off their reel and load it with 80# Power Pro Line. It has the diameter of 20# test fishing line, so drag it reduced dramatically. It makes quite a difference.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/
https://xf2.scubaboard.com/community/forums/cave-diving.45/

Back
Top Bottom