Fitting into Bare full wetsuit

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

DeanQuest

New
Reaction score
I just purchased a Bare wetsuit with hood. I checked with the supplier to make sure I was ordering the right size. I did manage to get it on after about ten minutes. It felt very snug, if not tight.

FIRST QUESTION: Are wetsuit lubricants available that won't ruin the wetsuit?

SECOND QUESTION: If I can't wear this new wetsuit, I'm going to have to rent one during our first dive trip the day after Christmas. Any comments on hygiene issues?

Thank you,

Dean Quest

The suit will stretch to a certain degree, but if it as tight as you mention, then perhaps you have gotten the wrong size.

For lubrication you can use a spritz bottle of soap/water mixture or get a glide skin type suit to help you don it.

Most shops will (or at least should) clean then suits once in a while so hygiene should not be an issue. If you are worried about it, see if you can get the rental suit prior and clean it yourself. (I am sure the shop will thank you for it). Also the only time you really have to worry about it is if the prior occupant had some sort of nasty skin rash that you can catch - other than that they are harmless.

DeanQuest:
I just purchased a Bare wetsuit with hood. I checked with the supplier to make sure I was ordering the right size. I did manage to get it on after about ten minutes. It felt very snug, if not tight.

FIRST QUESTION: Are wetsuit lubricants available that won't ruin the wetsuit?

SECOND QUESTION: If I can't wear this new wetsuit, I'm going to have to rent one during our first dive trip the day after Christmas. Any comments on hygiene issues?

Thank you,

Dean Quest

How much wetsuit experience do you have? If little or if this is a step up in thickness it may seem tight and you may not be adept at getting into it. For instance did you slip your feet through the leg openings with with the suit rolled down, roll it up to your knees and get that just right before rolling up to your crotch and so on. If you just jump in up to the waist and start tugging you will be a sweaty exhausted basket case.

Now as to fit..
With the suit on how is the range of motion? Hands on opposite shoulders, bend over to touch to your toes (as best as normanl) arms straight up. You shoulds have little or no hinderance. Does it wit well up into your crotch AND your armpits. Your breathing should be normal, you must not work the suit to inhale, it must not help you exhale.

If the fit tests seem OK then it may be getting accustomed to donning and being in this suit. Once wetnesss seeps in the suit will be someway lubricated against your skin and it will equalize tensions and work even better with your motions.

It should fit you closely, with a hint of comporession as you said snug but not tight.

Let it be said that a mailorder wetsuit is like a roulette game, the human form is just too varriable to buy that way on a timeline with certainty.

As for the rental suit, not much to worry about. If you can get it ahead of the first dive to freshen it for peace of mind that's cool. I don't know where you''re heading but buying one onsite that fits may be another option. Then return the mail order item.

Pete

U can use corn starch on your skin to dry up exssess moisture and that will help get the suit on.. and it will normally rinse off during the dive.. The other option is wear nylons.... I know skin glides can get pricey.. and I have found nylons worked..... I used the corn starch more when I am doing shore dives because if your not careful it can get a little messy.

Tamas:
...the only time you really have to worry about it is if the prior occupant had some sort of nasty skin rash that you can catch - other than that they are harmless.

That'll sure make him feel better!
:D

Thanks, everyone, for all the prompt input.

I am a new diver and had never donned a wetsuit before. What an "America's Funniest Home Video" moment. Too bad I was alone or I would have asked somebody to videotape my contortions and helplessness.

I will try donning the suit again tomorrow (Christmas) with everyone's advice in mind. Also, I will have assistance tomorrow. I will turn the suit inside out and make sure I get a good crotch fit before I go to the shoulders. Also, I will have corn starch on hand.

If I think its still too tight, I won't bother taking it to the Keys with me next week. I'll just cautiously do the rental thing.

Thanks again, everyone.

MERRY CHRISTMAS TO ALL AND TO ALL A GOOD DIVE!

Dean Quest

DeanQuest:
I will turn the suit inside out and make sure I get a good crotch fit before I go to the shoulders.

Don't turn it inside out, just make sure when you put it on you work your feet in first, then work it up your calf, then thigh then the seat/crotch......a lot like pulling on longjohns or pantyhose (ask you wife/girlfriend) to demonstrate that.

In short, don't expect to get the whole thing on in 1 pull, do it segment by segment.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom