Fisheye FIX for the S90

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I think I can handle that requirement! :) Hopefully will get here early next week.... no word from bs yet as to shipping. Just hope I can get a lot of pool time with my setup before vacation.

Well I did it.... I ordered the fix s90 housing, flash blocker, and and a S&S 110 or whatever strobe. Also got 67mm adapter and the fisheye ufl-04 I think it was.

Yes I'm very impatient too to get some samples of the images you 'll get with the UWL-04 , 67 mm adaptater and step up ring
In fact it's what I did try first but there was vignetting on my pictures at 28 mm wide
Next I did change the 67 mm adaptater against the 52 mm ( no step up ring ) I got also some vignetting on the right side and right down corner of my pictures , always at 28 mm
Next my husband built me an adaptater in 52 mm , (he was a worker as a turner before becoming a professionnal diver ) this adaptater allowed the back of the lense to be so close than 0,2 mm from the window of the Fix housing ..I still have vignetting , less but a little , even when I completely take off the dome shade ..
So...I don't understand.
Anyway I will use the UWL-04 zooming slightly between 28 and 35 mm , it remain like that a very wide angle .
For macro I use my husband adaptater 52 mm thread , a step ring from 67 to 52 and Inon 67 mm macro lense .No vignetting like that .
When available I'll try the Subsee magnifier .
The good things are that it seems that the shutter lag of the S90 is really fast , also that all together camera , housing , two flashes , lense , arms and so on packed in a well cushioned back bag the total weight is less than 5 kg ..really a dream ..also that the UWL-04 allow very close focus !

Here are two pictures that I did take in saint tropez last week .
The dive conditions were awfull , water temperature at 12 ° , 2 meter of visibility , green water ..and one of my flashes had is battery out of order ..so ..I claim for your indulgence
4457398852_55118ffcd7.jpg

4456655669_48bc223df0.jpg

Tomorrow I 'll dive again with the S90 , hope my pics will be better :blinking:

Yes I'm very impatient too to get some samples of the images you 'll get with the UWL-04 , 67 mm adaptater and step up ring
In fact it's what I did try first but there was vignetting on my pictures at 28 mm wide
Next I did change the 67 mm adaptater against the 52 mm ( no step up ring ) I got also some vignetting on the right side and right down corner of my pictures , always at 28 mm
Next my husband built me an adaptater in 52 mm , (he was a worker as a turner before becoming a professionnal diver ) this adaptater allowed the back of the lense to be so close than 0,2 mm from the window of the Fix housing ..I still have vignetting , less but a little , even when I completely take off the dome shade ..
So...I don't understand.
Anyway I will use the UWL-04 zooming slightly between 28 and 35 mm , it remain like that a very wide angle .
For macro I use my husband adaptater 52 mm thread , a step ring from 67 to 52 and Inon 67 mm macro lense .No vignetting like that .
When available I'll try the Subsee magnifier .
The good things are that it seems that the shutter lag of the S90 is really fast , also that all together camera , housing , two flashes , lense , arms and so on packed in a well cushioned back bag the total weight is less than 5 kg ..really a dream ..also that the UWL-04 allow very close focus !

Here are two pictures that I did take in saint tropez last week .
The dive conditions were awfull , water temperature at 12 ° , 2 meter of visibility , green water ..and one of my flashes had is battery out of order ..so ..I claim for your indulgence

Tomorrow I 'll dive again with the S90 , hope my pics will be better :blinking:

You will need to zoom at least one notch to eliminate vignetting with the UWL-04, this is what I have been told. Again, the FIX page we have all linked to for sample photos is how shall I say, uh, "misrepresentative" and perhaps a little chicanery going on.

This is why I am pretty sure that the Inon 100WAL+ dome/100-28AD+dome/165AD+AD adapter are at least as wide as the Fisheye UWL-04. Until somebody actually shows a ruler or scale from a known distance however, we can only make certain assumptions, one is that the Fisheye site gives the DFOV and the magnification for the UWL-04 and it is less than the 165AD and the same as the 100WAL with dome.

The 100WAL plus dome is a heavy lens and expensive, it is also optical coated glass and may represent the best combination of IQ and FOV for this housing and camera.

N

Compudude,
Are you able to completely and tightly screw on the Lens Attachment Base to the Fix housing and still mount the 165 macro lens? I have to leave approximately 1/16" gap between the end of the threads and the Lens Attachment Base, put on the Mount Adapter, and then the macro lens will attach. I am able to completely screw on the Lens Attachment Base with the 28 100 WAL.

From looking at the macro versus the 28 100 WAL, the macro lens is just a hair "longer" on the back and protrudes which prevents the mounting.

So, I have talked with the seller and they are looking into it, but since it appears you have the same setup, maybe you would share your experience.

Thanks very much

PS: Your macro pixs are just wonderful!!

Last edited:
I got this explanation from reefphoto about Fix 67mm and 52mm adapters:

"Both the macro lens and the wide lens have threads on them for mounting. Each lens would screw into it's own FIX S90 adapters. The adapter is a snap on/snap off design. The lens pulls straight up to remove it. It works pretty nicely, but it's difficult to explain. Unfortunately there is no manual or diagram at this time."

Does it mean that I can snap them on/off under water similarly to AD adapter?

They also added:

"As I told you on the phone, while the AD mount lenses can physically fit on the camera using adapters, they will not work optically. The image quality will be horrible. [Nemrod, please do not get angry - I saw your good quality photos :wink:]

With the UWL-04 lens, the lens itself is 52mm. Using the 67mm step-up ring adds distance between the optics and results in poorer image quality and vignetting. Using the lens without the step-up resolves this issue and that is why I quoted you one 52mm adapter. "

Compudude,
Are you able to completely and tightly screw on the Lens Attachment Base to the Fix housing and still mount the 165 macro lens? I have to leave approximately 1/16" gap between the end of the threads and the Lens Attachment Base, put on the Mount Adapter, and then the macro lens will attach. I am able to completely screw on the Lens Attachment Base with the 28 100 WAL.

From looking at the macro versus the 28 100 WAL, the macro lens is just a hair "longer" on the back and protrudes which prevents the mounting.

So, I have talked with the seller and they are looking into it, but since it appears you have the same setup, maybe you would share your experience.

Thanks very much

PS: Your macro pixs are just wonderful!!

Thanks. :)

I don't recall any difficulty attaching the 28AD mount to the Fix housing. It's not quite as tight as I would like (you can cause it to rotate when turning in the bayonet-mount lenses, which can create a LOT of torque), but that doesn't seem to cause any actual issues so I haven't been worrying about it.

Not sure why mine works and yours are too long, though. I keep trying to remember to take some shots of my rig, but just haven't gotten my act together yet... been a busy 'Dude lately.

I got this explanation from reefphoto about Fix 67mm and 52mm adapters:

"Both the macro lens and the wide lens have threads on them for mounting. Each lens would screw into it's own FIX S90 adapters. The adapter is a snap on/snap off design. The lens pulls straight up to remove it. It works pretty nicely, but it's difficult to explain. Unfortunately there is no manual or diagram at this time."

Does it mean that I can snap them on/off under water similarly to AD adapter?

They also added:

"As I told you on the phone, while the AD mount lenses can physically fit on the camera using adapters, they will not work optically. The image quality will be horrible. [Nemrod, please do not get angry - I saw your good quality photos :wink:]

With the UWL-04 lens, the lens itself is 52mm. Using the 67mm step-up ring adds distance between the optics and results in poorer image quality and vignetting. Using the lens without the step-up resolves this issue and that is why I quoted you one 52mm adapter. "

I am not angry, y'all can believe in fairies, I prefer fact as demonstrated. :shakehead:.

The FIX adapter do snap on and off, however, until "they" (generic they) start selling the individual pieces at a reasonable price that is not an option.

Of course, the AD lenses do work and do bayonet on and off with the FIX housing and 67mm kit, as I said, and as I said, at least mine is optically fine.

N

CompuDude,
Thanks for the reply. I had no problems attaching the 3 piece adapter, however, I was unable to successfully bayonet on the macro lens. It just would not fit into the mount adaptor deep enough to engage and turn. I had no trouble with the 28 100 WAL.

I agree that the mount has too much play. In the fine print, Inon cautions to "Make sure to hold the mount adaptor firmly with your hands when attaching/taking off the lens. Too much pressure on the shaft may cause damage, etc." Because of the play, this seems a really important point.

I got the S90 last week, and really love it. So, after reading all the extremely helpful information here and talking to the great people at Reef Photo, I ordered the FIX housing, the 52mm adapter and the UWL-04. As soon as I get it, I will take some pictures and post them.

Back
Top Bottom