Fisheye FIX for the S90

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Well thanks on that input... I will just use the backpack i have for my dSLR then. Holds 3 lenses and the body plus top storage for whatever. That will save me money. I will just get some sort of random carry bag for it that I can haul it onto a boat with then just to keep everything together and not get caught up with the random dive equipment. Didn't know there was a weight restriction for carry on's though.

Well thanks on that input... I will just use the backpack i have for my dSLR then. Holds 3 lenses and the body plus top storage for whatever. That will save me money. I will just get some sort of random carry bag for it that I can haul it onto a boat with then just to keep everything together and not get caught up with the random dive equipment. Didn't know there was a weight restriction for carry on's though.

There has always been a weight limit, but it's rarely enforced for domestic flights. International travelers are coming under more and more scrutiny, however, especially when traveling to small island destinations that are so common for divers.

Didn't know there was a weight restriction for carry on's though.

Typical domestic US is 40lbs for carry on. Air Pacific is 7kg (approximately 15.4 pounds) international, and 5kg/11 pounds domestic for carry on.

Typical domestic US is 40lbs for carry on. Air Pacific is 7kg (approximately 15.4 pounds) international, and 5kg/11 pounds domestic for carry on.

Yes, that international limit is killing me. I thought the international limit used to be 10kg just 6 months ago. EVA out of Seattle are Nazis about weighing your carry-on bag. I now shove all the heavy stuff I can into my pockets. I even have a travel vest for this purpose. It looks riduculus wearing it so I put it over my arm when checking in. I also have some nylon fabric only backpacks from REI that I use for weight savings and use old polartech jacket sleaves and clothing to cushion the fragile stuff. Those NIMH batteries get heavy when you have about 16 of them for strobe and focus light.

My faux Pelican, loaded with S90, two Inon D2000, arms, clamps, DIY tray and handle, FIX housing, 165AD fisheye and UCL165AD weighs right at 15 pounds.

N

My faux Pelican, loaded with S90, two Inon D2000, arms, clamps, DIY tray and handle, FIX housing, 165AD fisheye and UCL165AD weighs right at 15 pounds.

And how much of that is the faux Pelican vs. the contents?

15 lbs is probably fine if that's all you're carrying on. Add 10 lbs+ in batteries, a prescription dive mask, a dive computer, an HID canister light plus the usual sorts of things a prudent traveler carries on board in case of luggage loss (change of clothes, toiletries, etc) and it starts to be an issue. :(

And how much of that is the faux Pelican vs. the contents?

15 lbs is probably fine if that's all you're carrying on. Add 10 lbs+ in batteries, a prescription dive mask, a dive computer, an HID canister light plus the usual sorts of things a prudent traveler carries on board in case of luggage loss (change of clothes, toiletries, etc) and it starts to be an issue. :(

I don't use a canister light, I carry all the other dive gear in, mine and my wife's, in one roller diver bag. Four S90 batteries and two sets of AA Eneloops do not weigh 10 pounds. The camera goes in my carry on Pelican and the computer and "travel" items go in the backpack with the computer. If they knock us down to only one carry-on/personal item per person then my wife will carry the backpack with computer, I the camera.

I have spent several years now miniaturizing both her and my dive gear and stripping all the extras out including the reasoning behind the FIX90 rig, to go small and light. Our gear is very compact and lightweight now. We don't take alot and especially a canister light :confused:.

Our travel gear for two people:

One roller diver bag with two sets of scuba gear etc
One roller suitcase with two people's cloths etc
One carry-on backpack with "stuff" and computers and laptop
One carry-on Pelican case with complete S90/FIX housing and bits and pieces

The kitchen sink stays at home for international air travel. Now, if we are driving, like in towing our Boston Whaler to the Gulf or the Keys or GLs etc, we take more stuff.

But a "larger" SLR type soft case might work with the FIX90, two S2000 strobes and one or two wet lenses, something to think about, and dang, I just gave a nice one away to a student photographer along with a darkroom outfit, dang it.

N

I think this is the one I have....
Lowepro | CompuRover AW Backpack | LP34731-PEF | B&H Photo Video

I usually take it on all vacations with me. But this time my dSLR won't be going with me.

The past few times I have carried my dive bag on with me (duffel like bag on wheels) with a large top opening. Fits flippers, bcd, mask, wetsuit, and few other random items. My reg and computer go into the camera bag (just as a habit from checking my dive bag). Every flight has been to Cancun when I did it and back to ATL.

I definitely would prefer to not have an additional case for the camera as well the backpack serves as a multipurpose bag for all my random other stuff I want to take.

On a side note.... I just signed up for my SSI underwater photography class as well with 4 others (EA Nitrox, deep dive, limited vis/night, navigation) for advanced diver cert so I will be on my way quickly to Master Diver!!! :dork2::crafty: Only will be classed at Specialty diver as I don't have 25 logged dives yet or whatever it is for Advanced.

The only reason I would get the 28AD FIX kit is if I wanted to shoot the Inon 100-28AD (with or with out the dome) or wanted to use the AD mount macro UCL165AD lenses. Otherwise I would get the FIX67mm kit, that is my opinion, use it as a data point only.

N

Will UCL165AD mount well on 67mm FIX kit + ADF M67 as well as UFL165AD so they can be easily interchange underwater?

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom