Fisheye FIX for the S90

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Yea... I really like the wide angle look... been wanting to get the canon 10-22L or whatever it is for some time now but when you already have $2K in lenses it makes it hard... ($1,200 in one lens) heh.

Now there seems to be a 52mm adapter for the fix housing.... would that be better than using the step ring for the fix UWL-04 with the 67mm adapter or insufficient data to support one or the other is "better". Obviously with this being so new it takes time to collect all needed info.

I'm not seeing those arms... unless for some crazy reason my browser is just being anal with that site and not displaying all their items..... Looks like a fairly cheap and easy setup though I would probably go with a 2nd handle just cause I can. :)

Why do I always pick crazy expensive hobbies? Homebrewing, DJ'ing, photography, diving, cars... yet don't make the money to support doing all of those at the same time... heh.

Now there seems to be a 52mm adapter for the fix housing.... would that be better than using the step ring for the fix UWL-04 with the 67mm adapter or insufficient data to support one or the other is "better". Obviously with this being so new it takes time to collect all needed info.

I spoke with Ryan at reef and he said the 67mm step ring is flush with the end of the wet lens. In other words, it should screw onto the 52mm native FIX uwl-04 mount around the outside only, essentially making the end "wider" to fit a 67mm housing port.
...Good thread, just makes me want to buy every lens and try them all! Oh, wouldn't we all be soo happy. I don't know if one is better than the other. I think the better question is which camera/housing do you have and how will those react/vignette with said FIX lens. Nobody knows for sure.

I spoke with Ryan at reef and he said the 67mm step ring is flush with the end of the wet lens. In other words, it should screw onto the 52mm native FIX uwl-04 mount around the outside only, essentially making the end "wider" to fit a 67mm housing port.
...Good thread, just makes me want to buy every lens and try them all! Oh, wouldn't we all be soo happy. I don't know if one is better than the other. I think the better question is which camera/housing do you have and how will those react/vignette with said FIX lens. Nobody knows for sure.

If you want to buy them all for me... I will test them out in ever way possible! :cool2:

So the UWL-04 might be the winner for me for the first lens.

Also why is it that when say adding the "Sea and Sea YS-27" package as on option when I order the fix s90 housing $50 more than buying that package by itself for Backscatter.... does it add more to it? I might just jump and get a strobe package... who knows... I'm feeling crazy right now.

It is my opinion, based on very little, that the FIX 52mm kit is only suitable if you have and intend to use the Fisheye UWL-04 lens. Otherwise the Fix 67mm kit makes more sense and I don't think that the step up ring should cause a problem. In fact, I don't think, knowing little, that the FIX 52mm kit has any advantage at all. But could be wrong. If it does place the lens marginally closer, that is a good thing but per the Fisheye website and pictures the 67mm is supposed to work without vignetting and no zooming with the FIX 67mm mount kit.

What I have been told is what Mancub was told in post 252, the Fisheye UWL-04 comes with a 52/67mm adapter and the adapter does NOT add length to the lens.

Now, what does that gain given what Pufferfish showed with the UWL-04 vs the Ikelite UWL-20, the Ikelite appeared to be actually wider.

The info in my post 237, I will stick with that for now as being factual if not absolutely proven.

N

It is my opinion, based on very little, that the FIX 52mm kit is only suitable if you have and intend to use the Fisheye UWL-04 lens. Otherwise the Fix 67mm kit makes more sense and I don't think that the step up ring should cause a problem. In fact, I don't think, knowing little, that the FIX 52mm kit has any advantage at all. But could be wrong. If it does place the lens marginally closer, that is a good thing but per the Fisheye website and pictures the 67mm is supposed to work without vignetting and no zooming with the FIX 67mm mount kit.

What I have been told is what Mancub was told in post 252, the Fisheye UWL-04 comes with a 52/67mm adapter and the adapter does NOT add length to the lens.

N

My UWL-04 did come with an adapter but it does add some length, perhaps 1/8th - 1/16"... however the rear lenscap they include with the UWL-04 only fits the 52mm mount!...arg! What a hassle...:m16:

Called up BS East coast.. hes at a show right now but will hit him up on Monday and place an order probably and make sure I get all I need and such.

*runs outside trying to find a money tree*

Called up BS East coast.. hes at a show right now but will hit him up on Monday and place an order probably and make sure I get all I need and such.

*runs outside trying to find a money tree*

What :confused: you don't have a money tree :).

Hey, it is just money, grows on trees. Fortunately I already had my strobes, my lenses, carry case, most accessories and was able to make my own very nice tray so I was only out the expense of the FIX housing, FIX67mm kit and the S90 camera :rofl3:

I am probably going to have to sell off my two 570 kits :( but not until after I get this FIX/S90 rig in real water and take real pichers in a couple of weeks.

N

What :confused: you don't have a money tree :).

Hey, it is just money, grows on trees. Fortunately I already had my strobes, my lenses, carry case, most accessories and was able to make my own very nice tray so I was only out the expense of the FIX housing, FIX67mm kit and the S90 camera :rofl3:

I am probably going to have to sell off my two 570 kits :( but not until after I get this FIX/S90 rig in real water and take real pichers in a couple of weeks.

N

.... I want a clipping or two from your tree! Next after that is to go pelican shopping for a case to carry on the plane.

I will be sure to post pictures of my first few tests with this. Never used any strobes before besides the ones built into my cameras so this will be a fun learning experience. Im sure my LDS will not mind me diving taking photos of their place.

.... I want a clipping or two from your tree! Next after that is to go pelican shopping for a case to carry on the plane.

I will be sure to post pictures of my first few tests with this. Never used any strobes before besides the ones built into my cameras so this will be a fun learning experience. Im sure my LDS will not mind me diving taking photos of their place.

Pelican cases are great for general storage, but they're WAY too heavy to carry onto the plane in these days of increased baggage scrutiny. I'd recommend a good padded backpack instead.

Back
Top Bottom