Fisheye FIX for the S90

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I do not think the 52/67 mm adapter ring pushes the lens out further. The adapter is supposed to come with the UWL-04 lens. That is what I have been told and the only photo of the rig I have seen (and cannot locate now) shows that to be the case, it is not a standard step up ring.

The FIX picture page is, dare I say, bogus and is very misleading in several of the examples, in particular the one with the 165AD. The 165AD shot at the bottom I am almost certain is zoomed to 50mm to eliminate vignetting with the less than optimal 28AD FIX kit (which I do not use).

I am shooting the 165AD on my FIX housing zoomed to either 31mm or usually 35mm with no vignetting and no cropping needed and a good FOV far greater than what is shown in that FIX example. I do not think they were being nefarious, they are just WRONG, they did not spend the time to get the 165AD into an optimal position as I have.

The Inon 100-28AD has the same apparent magnification used at 28mm as does the Inon WAL 100-67mm used at 35mm and the examples look right to me, same apparent magnification.

Before installing the dome on my Inon WAL100 a few years ago I shot it quite a bit and I have a very good idea of how much the dome increases the FOV underwater (vs without) and I am saying that it is going to be very similar to the top example in that series (the UWL-04). FIX states their lens is 130 degrees and .42X which is exactly what the Inon WAL100 with dome is when used at 35mm.

The Inon 100-28AD when equipped with the dome ALWAYS requires minor cropping because the corners vignette native.

This stuff will cause headaches. remember these are diagonal FOV.

I am really disappointed in what Puffer's pic showed with the Fisheye UWL-04, I was expecting more??????? I wonder if something is just not quite right there we are missing?

N

Nemrod, The ike lens is listed as a .56 magification lens... which is within 1% of what I got in the 35 mm test photos I did...so I at least got that right.

The UWL-04 has a much smaller exit diameter... and is much more sensitive to distance to the camera. But, I just rechecked them on land...the ike is wider on land by the same amount it was in the water...

Even if I put the lens right against the camera out of the case.. the ike is wider... but the field of view is a lot more than the .56 they state..would guess 30 or 40 % wider.. so it may be a case of how the lens is being rated.

I do not think the 52/67 mm adapter ring pushes the lens out further. The adapter is supposed to come with the UWL-04 lens. That is what I have been told and the only photo of the rig I have seen (and cannot locate now) shows that to be the case, it is not a standard step up ring.

The FIX picture page is, dare I say, bogus and is very misleading in several of the examples, in particular the one with the 165AD. The 165AD shot at the bottom I am almost certain is zoomed to 50mm to eliminate vignetting with the less than optimal 28AD FIX kit (which I do not use).

I am shooting the 165AD on my FIX housing zoomed to either 31mm or usually 35mm with no vignetting and no cropping needed and a good FOV far greater than what is shown in that FIX example. I do not think they were being nefarious, they are just WRONG, they did not spend the time to get the 165AD into an optimal position as I have.

The Inon 100-28AD has the same apparent magnification used at 28mm as does the Inon WAL 100-67mm used at 35mm and the examples look right to me, same apparent magnification.

Before installing the dome on my Inon WAL100 a few years ago I shot it quite a bit and I have a very good idea of how much the dome increases the FOV underwater (vs without) and I am saying that it is going to be very similar to the top example in that series (the UWL-04). FIX states their lens is 130 degrees and .42X which is exactly what the Inon WAL100 with dome is when used at 35mm.

The Inon 100-28AD when equipped with the dome ALWAYS requires minor cropping because the corners vignette native.

This stuff will cause headaches. remember these are diagonal FOV.

I am really disappointed in what Puffer's pic showed with the Fisheye UWL-04, I was expecting more??????? I wonder if something is just not quite right there we are missing?

N

Puffer, I assume your Fisheye UWL-04 has the dome?

I am not following you completely, out of the water both the 105AD I used to have and the WAL100-67 have the same (or nearly same) view as the 165AD out of the water. The dome on the WAL100 makes no difference either above water--but--in the water the difference is huge.

I have also owned an Ike WAL-20, the reason I sold it for the 105AD (which I sold for the WAL100-67) was because I learned about the dome kit and blah--blah, lol, some three years ago now I guess it was. As best I recall the FOV between the Ike and Inon WAL100 was essentially the same and both are the same magnification and there is a link I can find, cameras underwater or like that that tested all of these lenses and showed this to be the case:

Cameras Underwater: Olympus PT-015 underwater housing and C-5050 camera. Test pictures.

Cameras Underwater Info: Site index

Cameras Underwater: INON UWL-100 coverage chart.

Soooooo, WTH is going on with your UWL-04, dunno.

However, I appreciate your posting those pics, I just do not know how to account for the lack of difference.

But, I am starting to be really happy in that now I don't need to buy yet another lens. :(

N

Well, thanks to you posting those images, I understand it.

I had always assumed that field of view and magification were that same (stupid, stupid me).

As you can see, adding a dome to a lens really increases the fov... but the main image is still the exact same size.

Had I a brain, I would have known this.. as the glass at te center is almost flat, and it is only at the very edges that one gets the increased fov.

looking at the size of each of the target images for all those lens makes that really obvious..thanks.

As the fov is only increased at the very edges, how much of the edge is seen will greatly effect the dome more than the flat lens.. but that is not the issue here.

I happen to take the one image that the dome effect does not work on... the edges of my picture are much closer than the middle. Had I done the pool wall... or better yet, someone in the pool (where the sides are farther away.. it would have been obvious. But for some reason, I liked the stairs (wanted to see the effect on lines) and now we have the middle far away, and the edges closer.. so the edge effect gets cancelled out.

Without that effect, the fix lens is something around .57 to .58 (and a much simplier design), while the Ike is .56...or slightly wider.

I am a lot happier with the results now...and don't see any reason, unless one likes curved images, to have to use the dome. Given the image quality of the Ike, and its slightly better magnification (less is more here).

I also think that when people use FOV to = magnification, it is a bit of a half truth for a dome. Actual center image size should be the criteria, and am not seeing any of the lens with tremendously better effect on that.

Hope that makes sense.

Nemrod

You say you do not use the FIX AD28 mount with your INON UFL-165AD lens. What do you use to mount it to the FIX housing? 67mm mount + 67-to-AD adaptor?

Nemrod

You say you do not use the FIX AD28 mount with your INON UFL-165AD lens. What do you use to mount it to the FIX housing? 67mm mount + 67-to-AD adaptor?

Well, gosh, at the expense of repeating myself a hundred times:rofl3: I use the FIX67mm kit and I use either the 10Bar AD to 67mm adapter or my own DIY AD to 67mm adapter:

Adaptor Ring ADF M67 - Lens & Filter Adapters - Point & Shoot Lenses & Filters - Optical Ocean Sales Underwater Photo - 800-359-1295!

This rig places the 165AD lens closer to the port than does the FIX28mm kit. In fact, my DIY version places the lens as close to the port as is practical, the 10Bar adapter is slightly thicker by about a mm and tends to vignette very, slightly, occasionally, my DIY does not.

This shot was taken only about a foot from the lane dividers, no crop, no Photoshop, no corner vignetting, measured diagonal FOV is approximately 150ish degrees:

No, I do not use nor do I own the FIX28AD kit, I have the FIX67mm kit and that is what I am mounting all of my lenses to.

N

Sooo.... finally found this thread :) Yay! :dork2: Getting nothing but more confused haha. Not used to all this underwater stuff at all. Makes me wish I just got a new lens and UW housing for my 30D now plus I don't know why I thought this route would be cheaper but ohhh well... this will be smaller. :idk:

Seems that a 28AD or 67MM adapter is the way to go?

So I am to take it if I want the UWL-100 Lens w/ dome I have to buy the lens plus the $389 or so dome upgrade kit? And it seems that the only place that has the AD mount on lens I'm looking at is ReefPhoto but they also charge about $100 more on the dome kit than BackScatter.

And it seems the UFL165AD is a slight PIA with the extra piece needed but cheaper.....

Also looking to get a tray as well with just the base arms to hold onto as I do not plan to get strobes right away but want an easier way to hold the camera. But I might just put that off just to keep the initial cost down on this as it seems like I might end up ordering from more than one place as it is.

It seems I will probably not get a strobe as well I'm already putting in too much money... such a shame to not have a money tree like the government :D

I leave on May 8th and want to get a few tests in before I leave at my LDS before I go as well as get a new wetsuit SO I have a little bit of time to make sure I get everything right.

Sooo.... finally found this thread :) Yay! :dork2: Getting nothing but more confused haha. Not used to all this underwater stuff at all. Makes me wish I just got a new lens and UW housing for my 30D now plus I don't know why I thought this route would be cheaper but ohhh well... this will be smaller. :idk:

Seems that a 28AD or 67MM adapter is the way to go?

So I am to take it if I want the UWL-100 Lens w/ dome I have to buy the lens plus the $389 or so dome upgrade kit? And it seems that the only place that has the AD mount on lens I'm looking at is ReefPhoto but they also charge about $100 more on the dome kit than BackScatter.

And it seems the UFL165AD is a slight PIA with the extra piece needed but cheaper.....

Also looking to get a tray as well with just the base arms to hold onto as I do not plan to get strobes right away but want an easier way to hold the camera. But I might just put that off just to keep the initial cost down on this as it seems like I might end up ordering from more than one place as it is.

It seems I will probably not get a strobe as well I'm already putting in too much money... such a shame to not have a money tree like the government :D

I leave on May 8th and want to get a few tests in before I leave at my LDS before I go as well as get a new wetsuit SO I have a little bit of time to make sure I get everything right.

You need to go back and carefully read through this thread :coffee:.

Reef does not have a FIX AD kit mount, there is no such thing, there is only the FIX 28AD kit. I realize that Reef lists it as an AD kit but if you look in the part number you see that it is in fact a 28AD. If it was as simple as buying a FIX AD kit I would have done that :eyebrow: instead of making and buying additional adapters to use my 165AD fisheye lens.

The FIX 28AD kit mount is the way to go if you purchase the WAL100-28AD (and dome if you desire). The FIX67mm kit is the way to go if you wish to use the Inon 67mm threaded lenses and/or use the 10Bar AD to 67mm adapter I have mentioned about a dozen times.:) As well you can mount the Fisheye UWL-04 to the FIX 67mm kit.

So, which lens do you want? Beats the c---p :idk:out of me, you decide using the data in this thread. I have spelled it out as well as I can in several recent posts in this thread but as I have stated, I am not an expert, use what I say as a data point, not the end all.

Any of the larger dome equipped lenses will require a tray. Only the macro lenses and the 165AD fisheye lens and the bare WAL100/WAL100-28AD/Ikelite WAL-20 etc are small enough to use without a tray and even then it will be a challenge due to the extra weight and mass.

Good luck, post your info to this thread when you get results so we can all learn.

N

You need to go back and carefully read through this thread :coffee:.

Reef does not have a FIX AD kit mount, there is no such thing, there is only the FIX 28AD kit. I realize that Reef lists it as an AD kit but if you look in the part number you see that it is in fact a 28AD. If it was as simple as buying a FIX AD kit I would have done that :eyebrow: instead of making and buying additional adapters to use my 165AD fisheye lens.

The FIX 28AD kit mount is the way to go if you purchase the WAL100-28AD (and dome if you desire). The FIX67mm kit is the way to go if you wish to use the Inon 67mm threaded lenses and/or use the 10Bar AD to 67mm adapter I have mentioned about a dozen times.:) As well you can mount the Fisheye UWL-04 to the FIX 67mm kit.

So, which lens do you want? Beats the c---p :idk:out of me, you decide using the data in this thread. I have spelled it out as well as I can in several recent posts in this thread but as I have stated, I am not an expert, use what I say as a data point, not the end all.

Any of the larger dome equipped lenses will require a tray. Only the macro lenses and the 165AD fisheye lens and the bare WAL100/WAL100-28AD/Ikelite WAL-20 etc are small enough to use without a tray and even then it will be a challenge due to the extra weight and mass.

Good luck, post your info to this thread when you get results so we can all learn.

N

Joy of posting at night after reading though 20 pages of posts :shocked2:. Sorry I meant the 28AD. The 165 or the fix uwl-04 might be the route I will go for cost.

I seem to not be finding the 10bar adapter/converter on BS, RF, and OO though. Any Ideas on how to find that to mount up the 165.

Any preference as to which tray to use? I've seen the UCLS that someone was using and so other non branded one. Looking for easy hookup without having to do any extra drilling work.

I call the adapter out in post number 246. Here it is again:

Adaptor Ring ADF M67 - Lens & Filter Adapters - Point & Shoot Lenses & Filters - Optical Ocean Sales Underwater Photo - 800-359-1295!

I made my own tray, I had a UCLS handle laying around. Otherwise I would have made that also:

P2200267.jpg

The balls and arms came from OOS.

I know I am crazy over the wide angle and super wide angle thing, many people who are not as gonzo might be perfectly happy with the Inon 100WAL 67mm thread or the Inon WAL100-28AD depending upon which mount kit you go with (no dome kits).

Obviously, as I have tried to explain, the 67mm FIX kit is the most universal.

Another, obvious, thing is for those who already own a lens or several lenses. You want to use those so you would buy the mount kit appropriate, assuming further that the lenses you have are a practical application for the camera/housing.

I do not want to have people buying (or not buying) expensive stuff just on my word, my opinion, I like the 165AD set up I have described, I think the Fisheye UWL-04 would be a good choice for the FIX90 housing, I would get the FIX67mm kit in either case.

The only reason I would get the 28AD FIX kit is if I wanted to shoot the Inon 100-28AD (with or with out the dome) or wanted to use the AD mount macro UCL165AD lenses. Otherwise I would get the FIX67mm kit, that is my opinion, use it as a data point only.

N

Back
Top Bottom