Fishermen vs. Divers

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

adza:
Do divers really scare away the fish? I thought (although haven't heard much either way) that this was more a myth. Normally, the fish just want to stay out of arms reach when I dive, and I didn't think it bothered them much at all.
We were tearing out an old section of pier (I was in the water, hooking chains for the crane) & a fisherman came over griping at us, said he wasn't catching anything after we started working. I normally would've told him all the fish were right underneath me waiting for more yummies to get dislodged from the planks & piling, and if he dropped a hook in the water near me he wouldn't even need any bait.
I didn't though. :eyebrow:

My Dad was fishing fanatic and I remember being dragged out fishing with him as a little kid and he would be really cranky with me if I made too much noise on the river bank! He thought I was scaring the fish...

I can only imagine what he would have thought about divers!

Anyone ever give a good tug on their line. LOL Just wondering never had the oportunity my self. Just a thought.

dannobee:
Must be the Breakwater. Don't worry, the fishing will stop there soon enough because of changes in the reserve status,
That's not a slam-dunk. The proposed regs are out. This area is part of the Ed Ricketts
SMCA, and recreational finishing is allowed. There are five possible options for
the Breakwater in the proposed regs:

Fishing allowed at all times.
Public fishing allowed 6 p.m. Sunday to 6 p.m. Friday.
Public fishing allowed 6 p.m. Sunday to 6 p.m. Friday, fishing by the handicapped on the weekends.
Public fishing allowed 6 a.m. Sunday to 6 p.m. Friday.
Public fishing allowed 6 a.m. Sunday to 6 p.m. Friday, fishing by the handicapped on the weekends.

There's two more options that close the whole SMCA to fishing on the weekends.

I'm kinda new at this, but it seems to me that I would be putting more at risk than the fisherman.

I would rather just stay clear for now.

A friend of mine was diving off the NC coast some years ago. He saw a fish hook drop down right next to his wife's arm. She had not noticed it yet. Well, he reached over, snagged the line, wrapped it around his hand a few times and gave it a yank. Then he set off and swam a nice big box and then took his knife and cut the line.

Once they got back to the surface he yelled ofer to the fisherman and asked how the fishing was. The guy yelled back "You should have seen the one I had on my line a while ago!"

Prostar:
Once they got back to the surface he yelled ofer to the fisherman and asked how the fishing was. The guy yelled back "You should have seen the one I had on my line a while ago!"

:rofl3: - I love it! Well thought of!

I guess you'd want to be careful though doing that - just incase he gave the rod a tug before you were prepared. I don't like the idea of getting hooked.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom