Fishermen vs. Divers

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Fuzzmutton

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
50 - 99
I was at Monterey this last weekend and was getting ready for a night dive. Since I had a fisherman cast out on top of me on one of my previous night dives (and I was WELL away from the pier), I stopped to talk to the fisherman that was out at the time to find out if he was going to be out long, how far he was casting out, etc.

He was a friendly guy and showed concern when he found out that there was going to be divers in the water in that area. He asked how he would be able to see them and if they could see his line and I said they could not see his line but he should be able to see their tank lights and flashlights pretty well in that depth. He was even going to stop fishing until the divers were done but it was about 8:00 pm and I told him that divers sometimes are still going out until midnight.

Hubby and I swam waaay out to avoid him. Next day we hear from some kid that he hooked some guy in the arm through his suit, thought he had a bite and was yanking on the line. The diver surfaced, I guess (this is all heresay), and started cursing him. I had saw the fisherman leaving that night with his girlfriend, they both looked unhappy.
I think that whole situation down there stinks for everyone. On any given weekend I have seen 1-3 fishermen and there is always someone doing a night dive. I hear that there have been fistfights over divers getting hooked, yet both have the right to be there. What do you do?:confused:

I am a diver, NOT a fisherman, but I think its "Diver Beware". Of course if there are lights in the deep the fisherman should know SOMETHING is up and be wary. Personally I try not to dive a fishing site.

I don't dive fishing territories...too risky

This site is one of the more popular sites for novice divers in Monterey. It's where most of the OW certs are done. There are some other novice sites but finding a good parking place for a travel trailer is brutal or there aren't places to suit up or there aren't any restrooms. In other words, the ammenities are worse for so-so diving.

I guess that's why people chance the fishermen there. I think I'm just going to talk to the fishermen beforehand from now on. I was feeding one chocolate this weekend and he took a nap while I dove. Good old bribery never hurts....:D

I have a feeling you are referring to the Breakwater Pier, just down the road from the aquarium. It is heavily dived on weekends (I used to Divemaster OW and AOW dives there, including night dives, on weekends). I, too, have seen divers getting caught by hooks or getting entangled during night dives although there weren't any injuries, but fishing lines had to be cut on a few occasions. It is impossible to cast from the pier with so many divers in the water and the chances of catching a fish is almost zero with so many divers around. It might be better if they fish someplace else on weekends to reduce conflicts. There are other locations to fish in Monterrey where there aren't divers.

i try to avoid fisherman as i figure i have more expensive gear than they do... but i have cut fisherman line when they have shown up after we got in the water. My brother and nephew love fishing so ive collected about 20lbs of lead sinkers & lures for them over the years

been snagged twice - first guy had about 5 hooks in his line and must have thought he caught a big one.

the 2nd time a group of yobbos were fishing over divers and swimmers (non fishing area btw) so i cut their line and they started abusing me over a 50c hook...... someone must have called the cops as when we got out of the water they approached me, asking if i wanted to make a complaint for damage to my gear

if we have to enter where there are fisherman (as we did on saturday) we do the same, a bit of a chat to discuss where they are casting and how quickly we can be out of the way and they usually ask us to put a fish on the hook for them.

Must be the Breakwater. Don't worry, the fishing will stop there soon enough because of changes in the reserve status, in the mean time, carry a spear gun, and let them see it before hand.

After you surface, always make it a point to say, "I didn't even see ONE fish down there." They'll leave.

EvaL:
It is impossible to cast from the pier with so many divers in the water and the chances of catching a fish is almost zero with so many divers around. It might be better if they fish someplace else on weekends to reduce conflicts. There are other locations to fish in Monterrey where there aren't divers.

Do divers really scare away the fish? I thought (although haven't heard much either way) that this was more a myth. Normally, the fish just want to stay out of arms reach when I dive, and I didn't think it bothered them much at all.

I dive in a heavily fished area. Sometimes 15+ people fishing in one small area. I make it a point to ask them if they want me to "put a fish on the hook for them" and they laugh and say yes. That small bit of chatter is usually enough to let them know I will be down there and that I am a nice person. It goes a long way. If they still continue to cast over me, then I can't really do anything. They were there first usually as we just come in for slack tide. It's the job of the diver to decide if it is safe to dive an area unless the folks fishing shouldn't be there in the first place. Add hooks to the long list of things that can make a dive go wrong and be careful. If all else fails, bring a dive flag and then they can't say that didn't know you were there.

Off the SE coast of FL both divers and fishermen are in the same area. The reefs run north and south. Current usually runs north and both divers and fishermen drift along the reefs.

The problem is a big lack of consideration on both sides. Fisherman believe it is ok to drift by divers if they are not under power, but they don't want divers drifting by them. Unfortunately, there are so many boaters that you have to be very defensive when and where you dive.

Problem is that the LEO are not looking out for this so you have to look out for yourself.

TOM

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom