First trip to Maui. Dive help desperately needed.

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Maui Hawaii Dive Boat and Scuba Training Center - B&B Scuba

They're located in Kihei. Brad, Blesi and the whole crew are great. I just did 3 days of diving with them last month. They were real good about grouping the experienced divers together and no limits at all on bottom time, other than be up with 500psi. I also love their schedule, usually back at the boat ramp by 9:30 - 9:45. I also dove with Mike Severns on that trip, good boat, nice site briefings, and I can't say a bad thing about them. I actually saw a lot of behavior from the marine life that was cool to watch but would never have seen if not for the briefings.

I have to say though, something about B+B just clicked, first time ont he boat I felt like I'd known them my whole life. All great people.

Yeah Maui Dive Shop sux bad! Took me about 1/2 hour to rent a tank from them with all the waiting for the bored idiot behind the counter to stop flirting with the young hottie customer, and then forever signing paperwork. At B+B I just walked in, introduced myself to Blesi, and she grabbed me a tank and some weights and told me just pay her when I get back... Admittedly they had my info already as I had boat trips scheduled but a world of difference in how I was treated.

I can not recall the name of the shop but there was one not far from Wailea that had Nitrox and they were awesome with the service:

Maybe Maui Dreams?

My favorite dive shop on Maui is Maui Dreams Dive Company. Small shop in Kehei, with great people and attitudes. They just got a boat this year and we didn't go on it. The shore dives are so good we didn't want to pay to go on a boat.

Posted via Mobile Device[/I
We did Ed Robinson "3 Tank Molokini" dive just last month, they were great. Just the one foray, did most of our diving that trip on Kona Aggressor.

Very responsive by email and phone, good dives (got back wall twice, with good weather), nitrox was no problem with a day's notice, fun crew.

Cheers,
Walter

I get to Maui once a year and stay on Kaanapali Beach. I have found the Lahaina Divers works the best for me. They got me to the Backwall last year as well as the Cartheginian and the turtle cleaning station. They do inside the crater at Molokini as well as Lanai. I found them to be very professional, have Nitrox and very convenient for the Kaanapali area. Going to Kehei is tough from the area that I stay in. good luck

Maui Dreams sounds familiar, I know I have heard alot of good things about Maui Dreams and B&B. I wish I knew of this forum sooner.

It always seems the best dive service is usually the least hiped up and advertised. Now I am debating on going back to Hawaii but dont know of anywhere on any of the islands that boast the clarity of Molokini. Does anyone have any recommendations and if so Nitrox is my only requirement. I hate diving then having to go take a nap!

Now I am debating on going back to Hawaii but dont know of anywhere on any of the islands that boast the clarity of Molokini.

I have found that clarity is only part of the equation for good diving. If you will only dive in waters as clear or clearer than Molokini, you have eliminated at least 3/4 of Hawaii's really good dives!

We stay in Kaanapali when we do our annual trip to Maui, but find it well worth it to drive to Kihei to catch a charter to Molokini and S. Maui. Our preferred operator in Kihei is Ed Robinson's as we find they treat us like experienced, responsible divers, and we always have great service and a good time with them. Plus we love to see familiar faces, and they always remember us each year. :D

For Lanai, we prefer to go with Lahaina Divers. We've done the crossing to Lanai in a 32' aluminum boat and I vowed never to do it again, thus the preference for the big, comfortable, 46' Newtons. There's a bit of a trade off in that Lahaina Divers does cater more to the beginner/infrequent diver, but we always talk with the crew and they've always been happy to supervise us less. :wink: Although they take more divers (up to 23), we've only ever felt crowded on the boat when we made the mistake of doing an afternoon charter...when they have the discover scuba folks on the boat! Wow, that was a huge mistake!!

The bottom line is that there really aren't any *bad* operators on Maui, it's just a matter of finding the one(s) that fit your style, needs, and desires.

B & B Scuba is in the Azeka (makai) Shopping Center at 1280 S. Kihei Road. Try www dot bbscuba dot com

Ok now that I think of it the company I had the best experience with was Maui Dreams. I have made it a point should I return there I think I am going to go on tour with them. When I went with the Maui Dive shop there we went to molokini crater and I just have to say it was a bad experience for the most part.

As I said earlier I asked if I could bring my own nitrox and they just acted like I commited a horrible crime. They would not even refer me where to find nitrox. They only told me "Hardly any one uses nitrox in Hawaii because of liability."

As any good dedicated diver would do I shopped the island for dive shops just for insight and found the best dive shop that I personally had experience with was Maui Dreams. first I was impressed by the no sale me something attitude. They were straight forward with answers and even offered to tailor my diving prefrences to the best tour they offered.

The lady behind the counter was very informative and was not like most of the bad experiences with maui dive shop. She was polite and told me they would do nitrox for me (But I had allready booked and took the tour with the others. and was within 24 hours of leaving)

I have dove alot of places and just mistified at the shear beauty I have only found thus far in Hawaii. From when you get on the boat and see the beautiful scenery all the way to when you are in the water and see the beautiful sights most people never get to see.

I was kind of glad Hawaii puts such strict restrictions on Molokini though such as no diver touches the bottom under penalty of law. It just keeps it beautiful for all too see. I have read some comments on here that some people complained that molokini showed signs of being over commercialized but trust me the no touch law has kept it in pristine condition.

Clarity is important to me because it adds to the mistique and gives a sense of flying over the diffrent scenery but its not as important to me as seeing the splendors of nature. Sheridan caverns in Kaui is very beautiful as well. I got to dive through them and was trully amazed.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom