First timer, going in July

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Sounds like this is going to be the horde. I'd probably pull up and watch just for the entertainment value - with that many divers its gotta be sorta like a boat launch on the 4th of July.

Surely the plan is not for 36 to descend on a dive site...

I doubt they'll be diving as a group the entire time, but the scene described below was the basis for my previous comment.

The dive leader is thinking about dividing the group into 2 smaller groups, starting at 2 different entries & meeting in the middle.

You'll want to arrive early to get a good seat for the show.

minions2.jpg

I would recommend the following dive plan:
The dive leader is thinking about dividing the group into 9 smaller groups, starting at 9 different sites & meeting in the evening.

2 groups of 18 divers meeting in the middle at one dive site? It'd remind me of the battle scenes from Braveheart; where all the peasants rush each other.

Oh, the humanity!

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    7.4 KB · Views: 138
My wife and I were ending a dive at Invisibles a while back and encountered a "dive gang," seemingly dozens in it, but probably more like 10-12. They were just raising a 8-10 ft club banner floated underwater at the top of the sand chute as we swam by. I suppose it served as a landmark for their return orientation, but .... gruesome IMHO.

4DCQlgp.jpg

Although most will probably dive as a group, anyone is free to dive where/ when they want & I am sure some will. Good thing is, I know 90% of those going & they are all very good & careful divers.

---------- Post added March 27th, 2014 at 04:13 PM ----------

Boat, cut her some slack. She's not a clueless vacation diver. She could dive with an airplane landing light, and still many divers would be flashed and blinded.

Not by her, but by the clueless vacation diver with a little 4AA LED they just bought for their very first ever night dive. Given the skills and experience she professes, she knows how to control her light, much better than the vacation diver who thinks the best way to alert every diver they found a sleeping fish is to flash their little 4AA LED light straight into their face.

Thank you! Yes, I have had to hide my light in a cave for a nearby class doing live lights out drills (all light must be kept to a minimum), while at the same time giving enough light to alert an inattentive scooter diver that I am there, so as not to get run over. As I stated earlier, I am respectful with my light, especially with the critters & photographers.

Even at the same dive site, since there's usually very mild current, and the dive 'style' is basically walk in, fins on, swim out to drop off, then turn & swim parallel to shore to turn pressure, reverse & return, a group could split in 2 - half heads north, half heads south.

Richard.

Even half would be 18 divers. Glad I'm not going to be there until a week later. Let's see, 36 divers, techie gear, canister lights.
Sounds more like an invasion than a dive trip. As several others have suggested, break up into much smaller groups and enjoy the dive freedom.
You can all meet up at the bar later.

Another option if you guys really want togetherness diving: Many/most of the sites are next to each other (actually just different sections of the same reef). For example, from Angel City you can swim north and hit Helma Hooker or south into Alice in Wonderland. So not only could you breakup into groups north and south, but also split into groups on adjunct reefs and still be in the same vicinity.

This conjures up an image.
Sounds like this is going to be the horde. I'd probably pull up and watch just for the entertainment value - with that many divers its gotta be sorta like a boat launch on the 4th of July.

Surely the plan is not for 36 to descend on a dive site...

Ah yes, boat launch on July 4th. I used to keep 911 on speed dial for those special events. We would bet on things like first to lose a finger in the winch, how far CAN you back that trailer into the water and how many boats will we pull off the bar cutting the channel at low tide. We call that dock theatre.

If they split into groups and stagger entries by 7-10 minutes per group, it may not be bad. Can't see 36 playing follow the leader.

Another option if you guys really want togetherness diving: Many/most of the sites are next to each other (actually just different sections of the same reef). For example, from Angel City you can swim north and hit Helma Hooker or south into Alice in Wonderland. So not only could you breakup into groups north and south, but also split into groups on adjunct reefs and still be in the same vicinity.
A good idea. You could also send half a group to a nothern site like "Angel City" and half to a southern site like "Alice in Wonderland". They swim past each other, then other people's vehicles home. Everyone gets a long dive, and it's not too crowded. Need good coordination and navigation skills, though.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom