First Time Travel

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

wrinkles

Contributor
Reaction score
So far away from the water that it is SAD!!!
OK everyone....not that it makes a difference for you guys...but....guess what ......tomorrow I am going to be in Cabo, diving in warm water for the first time in my life wuuuuhooooo.

So any suggestion or any words of advice for me....since you guys were so helpful in my diving here :07: ...... I thought ....I might get some last minute feedback from everyone.......
:10:

Ana

One word of advice - don't like it too much otherwise you'll be looking to move!! :wink:

Awesome!! Lucky you... I've got MONTHS left before my next warm-water visit.

My first warm-water dive was in Cozumel. I was AMAZED at how much easier everything was. Less weight and a thinner wetsuit just made so much difference, and the warm, clear water took all the stress out of being a new diver. If you're comfortable diving in SoCal, Cabo should be a breeze. :)

My only piece of advice has to do with wetsuits. In Cozumel, they only rented shorties. That was fine warmth-wise, but I REALLY missed coverage and kneepads, especially on our one shore dive that involved crawling back out over rocks! If I were you, I'd consider bringing my own full-length wetsuit in a thinner size (I'm definitely going to buy one before my next Caribbean trip).

How long will you be down there? Jeff and I keep saying we should check out Cabo, but we haven't actually gotten as far as looking up prices. Is it pretty affordable?

If your gear is close to needing servicing, especially the regulator, get it done before you go. At a resort, you're going to do 3+ dives a day, and you don't want your gear failing in the middle. I was on the borderline of needing servicing before my last trip, 35 dives later my 1st stage had an o-ring fail.

Also, take back ups for as much of your gear as is feasible. Even a good resort is liable to have sub-par rental gear. You can't back up everything, but if you have a backup regulator, bring it. Lights are the next most likely thing to fail, but at least the rental lights will tend to work well (although they'll charge too much for them).

If I were you, I'd consider bringing my own full-length wetsuit in a thinner size

I'd second this, especially if you're night diving. This is mainly because of jellyfish (notably sea wasps), not because you're going to accidentally touch the coral or anything. There are a lot of small things that will sting you that are attacted to dive lights, they can't sting you through a suit.

Back
Top Bottom