First Time to Red Sea - Jan 05 - Who and Where?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

DontLieToMe

Contributor
Reaction score
I have never dived in the Red Sea. I have heard that South especially is rough (and cold) in the Winter. Is this true? Should I avoid? What about the Northern areas. I would live to use quality liveaboards, and if conditions permit, go to both areas. Suggestions - experiences?

DontLieToMe:
I have never dived in the Red Sea. I have heard that South especially is rough (and cold) in the Winter. Is this true? Should I avoid? What about the Northern areas. I would live to use quality liveaboards, and if conditions permit, go to both areas. Suggestions - experiences?

Well, that's a lot of questions. Quite a bit of infos you will find in this thread. I'm a person that really likes warm so January is too cold for me. first of all it can be very windy - mainly in the south. The temp. during the day is around 24 Centigrades but with the wind and after the dive it's cold on the boat. In the evening you need a jumper - temp. is dropping to 15 - 18 Centigrades.
during this time I use 5mm+2mm and a hood. Most of my friends use either semidry or a dry suit (I would use them if I have them)
The Northern part - Sinai - is less windy but also a bit cooler than the South.
As the lifeaboards I would choose another time of the year - it will be too cold!!!!! I spend there every Christmas and in the hotel I have to use 2 blankets not to freeze in the night.
If you need any other tips - let me know
Mania

I've found that Emperor divers are very useful for information like this. They have schools in 7 different locations around the red sea, and run liveaboards from many of them, from Sharm down to Sudan. Send them an e-mail with your questions, they normally reply within 24 hours.
I do know that at that time of year, most of the dive guides/instructors will be in drysuits. It does get cold.

David.

http://www.emperordivers.com/index.html

Guys,

Thank you both. I think you have convinced me that I should target May-July for North or South Egypt/Red Sea. Would you say the same conditions apply to areas even further south - such as out of Port Sudan?

DL2Me.

The best times there is the Red Sea are October till the second half of November and March, April till begining of may.
By this you will find the temp of the water ideal for diving and the wheather at night is wonderful, other than that either you find it cold at night (winter) or very hot during the day which will make you sufer from dehydration. That was about the North (Sharm El Shiekh and Dahab). I have been to the brother Island once and that was my total experience about the south. So I can't judge the wheather there from one trip.
I will tell you a list of the best diving centers in Sharm El Sheikh (Camel Diving Club, Red Sea diving College, Siani Divers, Emperor Divers, Dive Africa) there are other diving centers in Sharm, but I am telling you about the Biggest once.
Take care and dive safe

Conditions for Egypt and Sudan are not the same. Whilst summer months (June-August) are ideal for a liveaaboard in Egyptian waters, they are too hot for Sudan with water temperatures in excess of 30 degrees Celsius. Spring time or fall is the best for Sudan - most boats, if not all, will leave Port Sudan in May to sail to Egypt or the med. Some argue that Egypt also get too hot in july, but if you are on a liveaboard the heat will be bareable. And the clear, warm, calm waters of summer generally does give superior dive conditions compared to spring, fall or winter.

cheers

Christian

DL2Me,
to dive the Red Sea out of Port Sudan requires some more experience. The facilities in Port Sudan are 1 dive centre in the Hilton Hotel (daily dive excursions) and 15 - 20 liveaboards sailing for 1 or 2 weeks (most of them offer 2 dives daily and some night dives), some boats provide more dives upon request.

Flight tickets to Port Sudan are more expensive than to Egypt.
Only for the return flight Cairo to Port Sudan you pay about USD 320 to Sudan Air.
Since May this year you have the chance to fly e.g. with Condor airline from Germany to Egypt for EUR 99.
More info find on our web www.sds-swiss.com. For very detailed information for divers go to Peter Kemp`s web www.redsea-diving.info\Sudan
Ciao from Switzerland
Rembert

I have done 3 liveaboards out of Sharm in April, June and August.
August was the worst. Was too hot for comfort, aircon kept packing up, and even the evenings were generally too hot to be outside.
June was wonderful, although indoors, aircon was already a must.
April was the best. The water was 22 degrees, and the air temp was comfortable, although out in open sea it was quite chilly and windy outside. There was absolutely no need for aircon, and I was fine with my 5mm suit doing 4 dives per day.
I have been to Dahab in May and the weather was absolutely perfect and so was the diving. I think therefore that for Sharm, May would probably also be optimal.
Take into account that in January it is dark by 5 o clock, and in May you have light until 8 o clock. This makes a big difference in my opinion.

Happy Diving

DontLieToMe:
Avoid summer, especially in Sharm. it's the italian rimini or the english Blackpool: lots of people, LOTS of divers, almost impossible to have real fun, unless you want a place to go around in the night time as well. the best periods are sept through nov and march throgh June.
as for dive sites, there's plenty to choose from, I just got back from El Quseir (posted a message in the same forum today) and I really loved it. But I wanted peace and a place to rest from the chaos of my hometown.
Check the emperor web page for more info.
Dive Safe!
Paolo

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom