First time to Hawaii

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

The Big Island for me. Good mix of shore and boat diving. Many good boats on the Kona side, we usually use two or three different ones so we cover as much of the coast as possible and mix in some shore diving. There is some good shore diving on the Hilo side as well.

We were looking at the first week of September. We could only do one week, so I wouldn’t want to lose time or days by changing hotels /flights etc.

Probably wouldn't go wrong with either island (I've only been to 3 of them), but I would probably suggest the Big Island for a one week stay of diving - if any sight seeing was involved, that would possibly change things depending on what one wanted to see.

I feel like the Big Island has 2 distinct areas of diving along the west coast: Kona to the south, with volcanic features and larger sea life and Waikoloa to the north with some coral and smaller sea life. Jack's Diving Locker in Kona and Blue Wilderness in Waikoloa are 2 good dive ops - Jack's has nice boats and Blue Wilderness uses a RHIB. Snorkeling sites are along this coast also if that is of interest.

Regarding the Manta Night "Dive", we did this as a snorkel as we had 2 non-diving spouses. Although the dive, at least through Jack's Diving Locker, is a 2 tank trip (afternoon dive followed by the night manta dive) an fyi would be that the manta dive is pretty much kneeling on the bottom for the length of the dive. Whether snorkel or dive you would see the same thing with the mantas - they are either coming up to you or down to you. It's cheaper as a snorkel trip also.

Haven't done it myself, but Pelagic Magic (night dive drifting in the open ocean), by many accounts, is a nice dive experience.

If you find free time away from diving, there are also enough other on land/above water activities to fill some time. Just be aware of elevation changes after diving.

Not important, but my first time to the Big Island was a 1 week trip also. We dove 3 days, did the manta snorkel, did a whale watching tour, went on a 3 hour charter fishing trip, did a dinner cruise, drove to Hilo for a helicopter ride, and went to Volcano National Park, a black sand beach, and a green sand beach. Also went to a luau and a few good restaurants. It was a busy week!! You'll have a great time.

No anchor or tie off to a mooring line. Typically the "live boat" use is to be available to retrieve divers following a drift dive.
Oh ok. So basically just a drift dive setup.

Probably wouldn't go wrong with either island (I've only been to 3 of them), but I would probably suggest the Big Island for a one week stay of diving - if any sight seeing was involved, that would possibly change things depending on what one wanted to see.

I feel like the Big Island has 2 distinct areas of diving along the west coast: Kona to the south, with volcanic features and larger sea life and Waikoloa to the north with some coral and smaller sea life. Jack's Diving Locker in Kona and Blue Wilderness in Waikoloa are 2 good dive ops - Jack's has nice boats and Blue Wilderness uses a RHIB. Snorkeling sites are along this coast also if that is of interest.

Regarding the Manta Night "Dive", we did this as a snorkel as we had 2 non-diving spouses. Although the dive, at least through Jack's Diving Locker, is a 2 tank trip (afternoon dive followed by the night manta dive) an fyi would be that the manta dive is pretty much kneeling on the bottom for the length of the dive. Whether snorkel or dive you would see the same thing with the mantas - they are either coming up to you or down to you. It's cheaper as a snorkel trip also.

Haven't done it myself, but Pelagic Magic (night dive drifting in the open ocean), by many accounts, is a nice dive experience.

If you find free time away from diving, there are also enough other on land/above water activities to fill some time. Just be aware of elevation changes after diving.

Not important, but my first time to the Big Island was a 1 week trip also. We dove 3 days, did the manta snorkel, did a whale watching tour, went on a 3 hour charter fishing trip, did a dinner cruise, drove to Hilo for a helicopter ride, and went to Volcano National Park, a black sand beach, and a green sand beach. Also went to a luau and a few good restaurants. It was a busy week!! You'll have a great time.
Thanks!!! I’m sure we’ll want to do some str seeing, but since we’ve never been, I’m sure any of the islands will be a best experience.

I’m sure any of the islands will be a best experience.
Agreed. For the 3 I've been to Kauai is very laid back - not commercial at all. Oahu (Honolulu) has Pearl Harbor, a zoo, an aquarium, Waikiki Beach, Diamond Head if you're a hiker - lots to do -a pretty happening place. The Big Island has a lot to explore, botanical and volcanic. You'll have fun researching and figuring out what you want to do.

Agreed. For the 3 I've been to Kauai is very laid back - not commercial at all. Oahu (Honolulu) has Pearl Harbor, a zoo, an aquarium, Waikiki Beach, Diamond Head if you're a hiker - lots to do -a pretty happening place. The Big Island has a lot to explore, botanical and volcanic. You'll have fun researching and figuring out what you want to do.
Laid back and non - commercial is what we typically look for. Lots to research for sure.

If you like small and non-commercialized get to Kauai now before it does change. There is a great shore dive at Koloa Landing that you can do at least 3 or 4 times and not get bored plus some boat diving added in.

Oh, and did anyone mention turtles? I dive a spot anywhere else in the world and see people get all excited over a tiny turtle. Nope, on Kauai you can easily see 5 or more large turtles every dive.

I stay in Lihue which is great as it is central to the north and south shores as our routine is to take a daily road trip going a bit further each day. Do a Koloa Landing dive in the morning or two and hit up something along the south shore in the afternoon.

If you do go to Kauai we can give cheap local food joint recommendations if that is your thing.

Since you mentioned liking Bonaire diving, I'd highly recommend the Big Island. I've been to Bonaire 5 times, and am making my third trip to the Big Island. The shore diving is similar in many respects: you rent an SUV or truck, dive mainly on the western side of the island, which is dry and gets not much runoff; there are some rocky entries, some sandy ones, and if the surf is picking up at one site, you go look for a more protected site. My favorite sites so far are (1) Alua Beach (tiger sharks, eagle rays, dolphins, every kind of eel imaginable), (2) Puako (turtle cleaning stations, and (3) Milolli (healthy/dense coral, by Hawaiian standards). I definitely also recommend the manta night dive and the blackwater dives, which are the only dives that really do require a boat.

One thing you'll find about Hawaii diving is that it's easier to spot critters, large and small, because much of the bottom is black lava, and colorful animals tend to stand out much more.

Lots of Airbnb options in the Kona area; the condos are a little dated decor wise, with Hawaiian type fabrics that scream 1970s, but the Big Island and Kona in particular are a LOT cheaper than other places in Hawaii. You mention not wanting traffic -- the Big Island is pretty sparsely populated, given its size, and has a vibe not unlike Bonaire's. Also, like Bonaire, there are a couple of truly stunning beaches. Unlike Bonaire, the eastern side of the island is rainy, green, and lush, and of course you have active volcanoes which are a blast, no pun intended.

Coincidentally, I am also going to Kona in September, and found that car rental prices are MUCH cheaper through COSTCO. In fact, COSTCO is key to an affordable stay in Kona, for food, gas, and pretty much anything else you need as well. Eating out in Hawaii is extraordinarily expensive.

Hope that helps.

Since you mentioned liking Bonaire diving, I'd highly recommend the Big Island. I've been to Bonaire 5 times, and am making my third trip to the Big Island. The shore diving is similar in many respects: you rent an SUV or truck, dive mainly on the western side of the island, which is dry and gets not much runoff; there are some rocky entries, some sandy ones, and if the surf is picking up at one site, you go look for a more protected site. My favorite sites so far are (1) Alua Beach (tiger sharks, eagle rays, dolphins, every kind of eel imaginable), (2) Puako (turtle cleaning stations, and (3) Milolli (healthy/dense coral, by Hawaiian standards). I definitely also recommend the manta night dive and the blackwater dives, which are the only dives that really do require a boat.

One thing you'll find about Hawaii diving is that it's easier to spot critters, large and small, because much of the bottom is black lava, and colorful animals tend to stand out much more.

Lots of Airbnb options in the Kona area; the condos are a little dated decor wise, with Hawaiian type fabrics that scream 1970s, but the Big Island and Kona in particular are a LOT cheaper than other places in Hawaii. You mention not wanting traffic -- the Big Island is pretty sparsely populated, given its size, and has a vibe not unlike Bonaire's. Also, like Bonaire, there are a couple of truly stunning beaches. Unlike Bonaire, the eastern side of the island is rainy, green, and lush, and of course you have active volcanoes which are a blast, no pun intended.

Coincidentally, I am also going to Kona in September, and found that car rental prices are MUCH cheaper through COSTCO. In fact, COSTCO is key to an affordable stay in Kona, for food, gas, and pretty much anything else you need as well. Eating out in Hawaii is extraordinarily expensive.

Hope that helps.
Thanks! That’s really good info. So far it looks like Kona is leading the way.

Were going to be flying out of Salt Lake. It appears that there are non stops to Honolulu. Do y'all usually find better rates by island jumping once there, or jumping to a location with nonstops to Kona (LAX, SFO etc)?

Back
Top Bottom