First time Philippines Need some advice

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Immeriswas

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
After beeing to Indonesia several times now, we are planning for the Philippines this October for about 14 to 18 days.We love colourfull reefs , macro life and to snorkel a lot (night snorkeling is next to night diving one of my favorate),so that a good house reef is a must. The accomadation could be quite simple but they should have good rental gear and rather quiet than a party location.
Beeing on a longer trip, we will travel light only with the snorkeling equipment. Thanks for the help.

1. Anilao + PG
2. Moalboal + Dumaguette(Dauin) + Sipalay
3. Sogod Bay(Southern Leyte) + Malapascua

For the first time visitor the first option is better because it is closer to Manila and does not require domestic flight. If the op has the inclination then public transport should not be dismissed(big big saving and safe).

However, if the op want to see a wee bit of the country then Sogod Bay(Peter's), Moalboal(Nelson), Dumaguette(Liquid) and Sipalay(Artistic/Easy Diving both are German speaking resorts)) is feasible in 18 days albeit a bit of a rush. Itinerary: Manila to Tacloban. Bus to Sogod Bay. Ferry from Maasin to Cebu City. Bus to Moalboal. Bus and ferry to Dumaguette. Bus to Sipalay. Bus to Bacolod. Flight to Manila.

Malapascua has the world famous thresher shark!!!!!

Dive computer is a MUST.

Thanks for the advice! We definatly would like to see a bit of the countryside as well. Do you think that athe the mentioned places is a chance to just walk in a dive resort without prebooking? Is October a good time for that kind of trip or November /Dezember a better choice? (We are still flexibel about the itinery )

You could also consider the San Juan area on the south-west coast of Siquijor Island. There is some nice reefs there at the Tubod Marine Sanctuary and some is close to shore. There are different dive operators in the area and if you choose to stay at Coco Grove they have their own (small) dive center.
It is kind of a long travel from Manila though. You could combine with Dauin/Dumaguete from where you can dive Apo Island.
I don't know about the weather in october. I was there in February and the weather was perfect.

Check out "Bernd's Tauchsafaris". We did dive with him in 2015 and it was a great trip. In three weeks we are going to dive with him again.
We are a big group (~16 people), so I don't really know if he deals with individuals / smaller groups too.
October is generally not the best time to visit the Philippines. Might be rainy / stormy. December (mild) until May is the best time IMO.
PM me if you want more info (in German).

Two very tricky questions!
1. Oct to Dec is still typhoon season. The most typhoon affected area in the country is along its Eastern seaboard which is rarely visited by divers. However, we all heard about Yolanda(07th Nov 2013) which literally decimated Tacloban and flattened Malapascua. And last yr a strong typhoon hit PG on Boxing Day(26th Dec) but with no fatality. I am pretty sure Dumaguete was hit by another typhoon few years earlier!!! So if you want to avoid typhoon at all then Jan to Mar or early Apr.
As far as I am concern, I will visit the country any time as long as I am available. Typhoon only brings a bit of inconvenience on travelling but do keep your eyes on weather pattern. Finally, give yourself plenty of time to catch your plane HOME.
2. Of all the places that I listed, only PG and Moalboal had I ever arrived unannounced!!! In places like Sogod Bay and Sipalay choice of accommodation is very limited. Contact the resort and ask nicely. Sincerity is ACE.

Has somebody been to Cabilao? Sounds quite good . What about house reef for snorkeling?

Has somebody been to Cabilao? Sounds quite good . What about house reef for snorkeling?
I can tell you in 4-5 weeks, because this is one of the places where we will stay. :wink:

After beeing to Indonesia several times now, we are planning for the Philippines this October for about 14 to 18 days.We love colourfull reefs , macro life and to snorkel a lot (night snorkeling is next to night diving one of my favorate),so that a good house reef is a must. The accomadation could be quite simple but they should have good rental gear and rather quiet than a party location.
Being on a longer trip, we will travel light only with the snorkeling equipment. Thanks for the help.
Well as you are being familiar with Indo, you may look for something different in the Phils (otherwise... why change a winning destination :wink: ), so my take on what's worth with the Phils vs Indonesia
Anilao : probably the only place that can compare with the unique spots of Indonesia's macro, add on top of that better viz and equally competent dive guides. If I had to keep only one place it would be Anilao.
Moalboal : the sardines school is unique, millions of them, just for the experience it's worth the trip + the walls on Pescador island are world class
Malapascua : thresher sharks and mantas, otherwise I find the other diving spots pretty mundane.

The rest doesn't rival with Indonesia IMO : you could check as well Dauin (macro but not Lembeh neither Ambon or Tulamben Class ) and Panglao/Balicasag (walls better than Bunaken though not as good as Alor or Komodo)

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom