First Time Nitrox Diving

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

1.4 is fine, as far as the dive goes, you won't even notice a difference. This is why agencies don't require training dives with it anymore. They were pointless. Some people claim they feel less tired afterward but it may just be a placebo.

in my experience, it´s not a placebo. I´ve never heard I would be less tired while on EAN, so I wasn´t influenced by any sugestion. I just stared noticing I didn´t feel like a long nap after three tanks.

Hiya

"picked up an analyzer (O2EII) from scubatoys" WOW you are really dedicated to the nitrox. I don't have one, just use the clubs or dive shops usually have them and you can use theirs for your mix.

"After calibration with a regulator tank of air (20.9), and then finding the mix of the EAN tank, is there anything else I should know while in the water?"

You don't need to calibrate using a regular tank, you are surrounded by 20.9% all around you, why would you calibrate using a regular tank. Unless you are testing your tank within 5m of a gas compressor with all its fumes.

WHat you need to do - once in a while - is calibrate (test) against an 100% O2 tank to make sure the O2 cell is healthy.

"Have also set computer to reflect the 1.4max PO2. Should I set it for 1.3 or lower??"

No, not at all - only worry about that if you are diving with a deco gas or doing technical diving.

You don't need an analyzer. All dive shops and boats have/should have them if they provide Nitrox.

Not necessarily correct when out of country. Some shops don't always have a knowledgable sales associate on hand when you pick up your tanks. I have a couple of friends with non diving spouses who occasionally pick up tanks for their diving spouses. These are just a few reasons to have your own analyzer

You don't need to calibrate using a regular tank, you are surrounded by 20.9% all around you, why would you calibrate using a regular tank. Unless you are testing your tank within 5m of a gas compressor with all its fumes.

WHat you need to do - once in a while - is calibrate (test) against an 100% O2 tank to make sure the O2 cell is healthy.

Actually, depending on the model, you do need to calibrate it. The reason is that some sensors need a flow of gas over them to ensure that they're getting the correct reading. Furthermore, humidity can affect a reading, so using air from a normal tank to calibrate can be really helpful here. My LDS also trained me to do this as another check to make sure the nitrox analyzer was working.

It doesn't appear that this sort of analysis is necessary with the Analox O2EII, but it does recommend calibration because of changes of pressure. There certainly isn't any harm in doing the additional check.

You are right pridkett - there is not harm in doing the additional check.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom