First time NC visitor questions

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

What are the advantages of diving in Wilmington over Myrtle Beach? I just have one day to dive and I'm staying 30 minutes south of MB. Is it worth driving an extra 2 hours to dive in Wilmington? Is the vis any better in WB? I know storms will stir it up, but on average days, how does the vis compare? Is the marine life any better? I've heard the NC's has more sharks but anything else?

30 min BT, one dive, 80 FSW, Hatteras:

[vimeo]12935171[/vimeo]

An "average" day...

:D

What are the advantages of diving in Wilmington over Myrtle Beach? I just have one day to dive and I'm staying 30 minutes south of MB. Is it worth driving an extra 2 hours to dive in Wilmington? Is the vis any better in WB? I know storms will stir it up, but on average days, how does the vis compare? Is the marine life any better? I've heard the NC's has more sharks but anything else?

It's really not possible to say unless you know which sites you're going to visit. In fact, at times boats from MB and Wilmington make it to the same sites.

If I'm 30 minutes S of Myrtle, I'd l'd dive there and try to get to an offshore wreck (if you have the dive experience). If I'm 30min N of N Myrtle, I'm probably going to Wilmington.

There's more variation between sites 10mi from shore and sites 30mi from shore than there is from Wilmington to MB at comparable distances from shore.

There are many posts on Myrtle Beach Diving. South of Myrtle Beach you should check out Express Water Sports. There are really some nice in shore diving sites.

North of Myrtle Beach, check out Coastal Scuba, another good opportunity.

If I were staying in the MB area, I would spend time diving than road time up to Wilmington.

If I had my wishes, I would like to be in MB diving with you. Have fun.

I agree wit the above posts that, if you are staying south of Myrtle Beach, you should stick to that area. Lots of great wrecks in the area and Express Watersports runs a great operation.

While Wilmington isn't really very far from MB, it's not very close, either...especially if you're trying to get up there to catch a boat by 7am.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom