First time in SoCal. How do I arrange my trips?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Do I search for the boats and contact the captains myself? By one-nighter, do you mean doing multiple night dives?

The boats I have dealt with in Santa Barbara and Ventura have done their own booking on the day trips, however on multi day trips I have found the boat is booked by a dive shop or club, and you have to book through them. So far I haven't had an issue getting a spot.

The multi day trips are usually two (one nighter) or three days. Check with the boat, on live-aboards you may be able to spend the night onboard prior to the departure on the next morning.

Bob

Here is the website of Truth Aquatics for multi day trips to the Channel Islands out of Santa Barbara.
Truth Aquatics - Coastal Adventure, Activities and Tours, Santa Barbara CA

Since you will be in Arizona, you should also check out diving options in the Sea of Cortez. The Rocio Del Mar does 7-8 days live aboard trips to and from Puerto Penasco - although it looks like September trips are sold out. There are some August dates available though.
You can even schedule shuttle service through them from Phoenix Airport to Puerto Penasco. Rocio Del Mar Liveaboard - Midriff Islands Schedule - Rates

You can stay on Catalina Island for 3-4 days and dive your heart’s content at the Dive Park. That is the best time of year imho. You could expect 95% chance good to excellent conditions. (Only exception might be fairly rare offshore, unusually strong Santa Ana winds.)

Shore dive via stairs with railings on sheltered side of island. Easy. Boat diving from Avalon available too.
Beautiful place.

Dive ‘shop’ about 100 ft from stairs. Avalon has restaurants and a bit of night life too.

The last bit of this video shows entry/exit.

(That wreck is a bit deep for you.)

Here is the website of Truth Aquatics for multi day trips to the Channel Islands out of Santa Barbara.
Truth Aquatics - Coastal Adventure, Activities and Tours, Santa Barbara CA

Since you will be in Arizona, you should also check out diving options in the Sea of Cortez. The Rocio Del Mar does 7-8 days live aboard trips to and from Puerto Penasco - although it looks like September trips are sold out. There are some August dates available though.
You can even schedule shuttle service through them from Phoenix Airport to Puerto Penasco. Rocio Del Mar Liveaboard - Midriff Islands Schedule - Rates

Wow! Thank you so much for the information!!

You can stay on Catalina Island for 3-4 days and dive your heart’s content at the Dive Park. That is the best time of year imho. You could expect 95% chance good to excellent conditions. (Only exception might be fairly rare offshore, unusually strong Santa Ana winds.)

Shore dive via stairs with railings on sheltered side of island. Easy. Boat diving from Avalon available too.
Beautiful place.

Dive ‘shop’ about 100 ft from stairs. Avalon has restaurants and a bit of night life too.

The last bit of this video shows entry/exit.

(That wreck is a bit deep for you.)

Thanks for the video! So excited!
How deep is that wreck located at?

@lamarpaulski
Thank you for the "Valiant" footage - not much remains old the old gal ...certainly not like the image of her I recall from pre historic diving...So many stores about the Valiant and all the items recovered from her over the years.

I will defer to @drbill who is the mayor of the dive park, perhaps he can do a story about the treasures of the Valiant

Sam Miller,111

@lamarpaulski
Thank you for the "Valiant" footage - not much remains old the old gal ...certainly not like the image of her I recall from pre historic diving...So many stores about the Valiant and all the items recovered from her over the years.

I will defer to @drbill who is the mayor of the dive park, perhaps he can do a story about the treasures of the Valiant

Sam Miller,111

Wrecks are not really my think (just the critters that attach to or live within them) but the Valiant is of historical interest to me. Cap. Perkins (who set the men's deep diving record and was one of Zale Parry's safety divers back when she set the women's) told me stories years ago about the plunder of the Valiant by Mel Fisher before he discovered the Atocha. Cap used to dive and sit in the wheelhouse of the Valiant on Sunday mornings.

Bill, the stories are worth repeating and documenting-- soon the names and stories will be lost in the dust of diving history ...with I think. I suppose , I was told-- which is already prevalent in the diving modern community
FYI Mel got very little off the Valiant-- He gained fame and recognition from the slot machines on The Star of Scotland
So how about it ? A story about the old gal -- while there is time
Sam Miller, 111

@Marie13 CE

As much as I love SoCal diving, I'd lean toward using a precious 10-day vacation to go to Hawaii instead. You can get to SoCal from Phoenix in 6 hours by car, so you could drive out on a Friday night, get a hotel for 2 nights, get in 2 solid days of diving, and not miss any work. The water off the SoCal coast is a bit colder than many East Coasters expect it to be; you might be getting chilled or tired from all the extra weight after a couple days in a row if you're used to diving warm water. That said, if you're in the area and looking for a buddy, hit me up. :D

Thanks for the video! So excited!
How deep is that wreck located at?

80 ish is shallowest. 110 approx in deepest.

It’s also outside the Park a bit, subject to boat traffic as it’s under mooring area - if you don’t plan well that can be an issue and needs a permit (easy) from harbor master at end of pier. Maps available at dive shop. Navigation skills help, plus compass.

Fairly advanced dive imho. I had good guide/buddy and large 100 cu ft tank. Bring a small u/w light on any Calif dive - critters live in dark places. I only solo dive it with 17cu ft pony/reg back up plus 100 cu ft tank. Not a place for ‘free ascents.’

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom