first time in San Diego water

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

llsullivan

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
50 - 99
Hello All!
Going to be in San Diego for for days in Sept. Diving solo so was hoping you could help me find a good dive shop/boat to get a couple dives in. Have all my own gear only need tanks. Currently a DMC so looking for some fun to go with all this learning. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Look into hitching a ride on the Marissa. Captains Carl and Anita will take good care of you. I would only consider one other boat, the Lois Ann.

I highly recommend any dive site in the Point Loma kelp beds: Lazy Daze, Train Wheels, 7 Fathoms, Anchor Management, etc. In Wreck Alley, there's the Yukon and the Ruby E. The Yukon would probably be more interesting if you do wreck penetration. For a nice deep dive (125 fsw), I can suggest the Hogan. Lots of wolf eels on the wreck. I have to say that, for a 2 dive trip, you'd be hard-pressed to beat a dive on the Hogan followed by a dive in the Point Loma kelp beds.

You should have good conditions that time of year. Have fun!

Look into hitching a ride on the Marissa. Captains Carl and Anita will take good care of you. I would only consider one other boat, the Lois Ann.

You can't go wrong with either of these boats. My favorite dive is the Ruby E (looks like an underwater Rose Parade Float) and the Kelp beds.

Also for more boats check here California Dive Boats : The Official Page

Thanks Bubbletrubble and Teamcasa for your info. One more question(at least) recommend a dive shop ? Don't think I will need anything but just want to cover my bases!! Thanx again !!!

This info is timely - we'll be in San Diego over the Labour Day weekend and are booked on the Marissa to dive the Yukon over two days. Sounds like we ended up with the recommended boat. My wife and I are staying an extra two days in LaJolla.

llsullivan and Hawkwood,

I'm very fond of Marissa Dive Charters and Captains Carl and Anita. You'll have a great time. I've done great dives with them to the Hogan, Yukon, Ruby E and the kelp forests. Their 3 dive trip to the Coronados is also a blast and they keep you well fed on the all day trip. I'd consider this trip also if it's available to you.

Good diving, Craig

Scubadada,

Thanks, I'm really looking forward to it. The trip that is orgainzed is over two days with two dives a day on the Yukon and one dive a day into the kelp.

I'll also be there in september (6-13th) and we're looking to do some boat dives. Do any of the charters or local shops rent steel tanks?

I did the Yukon and Ruby E when I was out west last month. Both are great wrecks. You will enjoy them.

Posted via Mobile Device

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom