first time in Bali

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Maybe I can shed some light into the workings of Balinese and the people living in Bali.

There are 365 days in a year and 200 of those are holidays (major and minor)....

Everyone will probably be diving or chilling about....

That's your explanation for the slow reply.

If you want more options for diving in Bali, you can try to email my friend John. He is a Padi Course Director and he gives very good rates.
He is a very fun-loving American who stays in Bali now.... loving every minute of it! The other guys are French and German...

His old web-site is as follows. It links to his new site.

http://www.prodivebali.com

I always found the best plan for bali is usually no plan at all, or nearly none. I would book a hotel on the Internet (email direct and ask for best rate) in kuta or sanur for the first night just so you know where you are going when you get off the plane, then work from there.

Tulumben and other sites on the north east coast are great, especially for beginners, Nusa Penida tends to be deeper, drift dives but chances for seeing large species is better.

Good lodging should be about $15-$35 a nite and a day of diving (2 dives) $35-60 depending on location.

I actually got my cert from Geko Dives years ago and thought they did a great job, I wish all the operators were as good.

Another option is to contract a private Guide, Wally Saigian (co-author of one of Indonesian dive guides) is excellent, if you can get him, and a great help finding lodging, transport, good food and cold beer.

Kevin,

Appreciate your effort. Looking forward to your report.
those are also the outfits I am looking into.
Aquamarine gave an incredible newsletter via Email....shoudl I post it?!?

Yeah..Geko seems to get a lot of recommendations. The reason why i am choosing AOWC(12 dives) is because i would like to dive in Nusa.
And think it's better with an instructor than with a DM...safety is absolute number 1 priority for me.

71%...with internet available..the world has turned into a village.
Why not take advantage of it?
I think you don'tr need to be so adventurous as Indodiver...but you don't need you need to prebook via a singapore operator.

A good all in one operator is Tauch Terminal...a little on the expensive side. But they provide everything...lodgings ,equipment , school etc..

If you are a beginner and not in the mood for AOW. Nusa and Biaha etc are not recommended.
Menjangan,tulamban and Padang Bai are th ebest for beginners and intermediates.
PS these are not yet from personal experience but from extensive research.

Hi guys thanks for your help!

Kelvin,

look forward to ur report!

Indodiver,

You mean i could actually "bargain" the price for hotel over internet? I thought we have to pay the price as display on their website by credit card through internet transaction.

I suppose ur $35-$60 refer to US dollar... so i guess i know wat to expect... thanks

Juggernutt,

Yup, u r right.... by using internet i do can search from some info and yup i did that too... however, the price most dive shop quote is either USD100 per dive....:eek: (pretty expensive to me) but when i compare the price which some diver mention here. wow it does make a different... hope u guys don't mind tat i asking some silly question previously... :)

Hmm... in fact me and my wife are thinking of getting AOW in malaysia not in bali cause the price in malaysia r cheaper and we get our OW there also...

Anyways... thanks for the advice!!!

:) :D

The course fee is not as important as a good instructor. With Bali being so quiet now and competition as fierce, I am sure you can try to get a good bargain. But like I said, a good learning experience with a good instructor is sure better than cheap.

A 5-Star Padi Dive Centre does not guarantee a good instructor... but they do narrow down your chances of not getting a lousy one.

The recomendations on this thread are all good ones..... but the last time I was there, I heard some problems with Tauch Terminal... internal ones.. don't take it from me. I just heard it.

Tulamben, Padang Bai and Menjagan are good spots. Nusa Penida has some strong currents for more experienced divers.

Have Fun Diving....
:mean:

Will be heading there this weekend for a short dive trip with a friend.

It is the 1st time I am joining a dive club for this trip. Unlike those DS packages that one gets off the net or shelves. Looking forward to it.

Bali Dive Club :wink:

Just back from Bali :

Pluses
Saw Mola Mola (twice in one day) - the first time 3 of them at Gilli Biaha (and also the largest Moray I've ever seen - massive, 3m (and on video), and the second Mola was a big one (ca. 2m ++) close up at around 5ft, just came to check me out - awesome (at Mimpang) !

Geko Dive - Professional, excellent local divemasters, good price and maybe the owner Bob will dive with you too as he dives everyday it seems. Highly recommended.

Recommend you don't stay in Padang Bai but just go down the road to Candi Dasa - stopped to look over the Kubu Bali Villas - recommended (negotiate the price).

Night dive on the USS Liberty at Tulamben - excellent, Spanish Dancers, Ornate Ghost Pipefish and Sleeping Bumpheads to name a few. Max out at around 28M. Nice easy dive - interesting life on the slope to the wreck and on the way back again.

The USS Liberty is great for novice divers, my wife has only 20 dives (now) and it was a very interesting and safe dive for her too.

The eco project at Taman Sari villas (look it up on the web) - it's amazing to see how they have restored this previously barren (dynamited) easy shore dive (5 - 15m). Tons of life on the 'structures' whereas before there was none. Good for your average macro subjects. Pay your US$10 for a tank from the hotel dive centre and you're away ! So shallow that I was under for 97 mins with plenty of 21% still left in the tank at the end of the dive ! Only do this if you are in the area though - not worth a detour.

You can get some superb accomodation around Bali for US$30 - 40 (inc. tax and ABF) per night. Negotiate for airport pick-ups and drop offs too (nearly all the hotels will include it even if you are only staying the one night).

Minuses

Menjangan - not what it was hyped up to be (at least not on the day we dived anyway) and it is a long way to go with no guarantee. Didn't do Gilimanuk (Secret Bay) as it was around full moon and there are reputed to be 7 knot currents to contend with if you are not careful - not ideal conditions for this low-vis macro heaven (the speciality of this area under better conditions).

Spice Dive - not what they were hyped up to be - an F1 tour of Menjangan by a local DM who admitted not liking his job !

2 dives 'lost' due to failed rechargable batteries (new recharger not functioning properly).

Making the mistake of switching the camera (3040) into video mode and then failing to activate the video properly when eyeball to eyeball with the creature I had come to see ! (Mola Mola).
Horrendous mistake but the memories will live on !

Tips: Stay on the East Coast ! Amed and Tulamben are accessible from Candi Dasa (1 hr) and CD is a much better place to stay.
Hire a car / motorbike - it will make travelling around MUCH easier although you can also hire a driver / car for 4 / 6 /8 hrs which is very easy - I can give safe reliable contacts if you want some.

Only one problem staying in PB or CD and diving the USS Liberty at Tulamben - you have to go over an 800m mountain and there HAVE been cases of DCS from travelling over the Mountain after diving.
CD and PB are also close to Ubud and the Kuta / Sanur / Legion area which are the two other places you will want to visit.

71% - I think you can get a great price for your AOW in Bali. Ask Steve at Gekodive for their quote too.

Dive Safe
Kevin

HI,

I'm planning to go to bali too. after reading your post it seems Geko dive are good... might consider then. Few things to check with you hope u don't mind.

1. How far is airport to Geko Dive? did they fetch you guys or got to travel there by urself from airport?

2. Candi Dasa - Kubu Bali Villas. How much they offer you?

3. Thanks i'll check with Steve about the AOW quote

Cheer

Shanghai Manta once bubbled...
Just back from Bali :

Tips: Stay on the East Coast ! Amed and Tulamben are accessible from Candi Dasa (1 hr) and CD is a much better place to stay.
Hire a car / motorbike - it will make travelling around MUCH easier although you can also hire a driver / car for 4 / 6 /8 hrs which is very easy - I can give safe reliable contacts if you want some.

Only one problem staying in PB or CD and diving the USS Liberty at Tulamben - you have to go over an 800m mountain and there HAVE been cases of DCS from travelling over the Mountain after diving.
CD and PB are also close to Ubud and the Kuta / Sanur / Legion area which are the two other places you will want to visit.

71% - I think you can get a great price for your AOW in Bali. Ask Steve at Gekodive for their quote too.

Dive Safe
Kevin

Geko are based in Padangbai which is about one hour and a half by car from the airport. You can ask them to pick you up or alternatively rent a car (you need an international license though).

when we stayed at Kubu in July, we payed 45 US for the room including breakfast and taxes (not sure if it is a good price)

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom