first time in Bali

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Why did you choose Geko dive?
Is it a good school? Have you had experience with them?

I am asking because I have also been considering diving with them.

Hi Shanghai Manta,

I have not choose Mengjagan Island because my hotel is in Sanur and Jimbaran and it is far from the airport.

I see Manta in Manta Point and Mola Mola in Blue Corner in Nusa Penida Island.

The dive shop just tell me it is the Season from Aug to Sep to see both of them.

In the airport, there is some catalogue of that dive shop and so I think they may have some size. I choose Ena dive from internet and they bring me to see both spice in two day diving only. I dont have any comment of Geko dive cause I have only one dive experience in Bali.

In my diving experience in Tulamben on 25 July, 2003, there is only a group of Jack fish and some small speice. For me, I will not dive there again.

Hope you have nice trip in Bali.

Thanks Warrengong I will be sure to load up my dives at the Nusa Penida sites !

Juggernaut,
I chose Geko Dive for a number of reasons;
Good reports from other divers on the web
The quality of the equipment they hire (for my wife)
Flexibility with our holiday plans
Price
Friendly

Note that response time to emails from anyone in Bali seems to work on a different time scale to us : 3 days = 1 day I think ! :rolleyes:

It all adds up - can't personally recommend them yet since I haven't dived yet but if they are good then I will definitely advertise the fact - and if they are not !

Good luck !
Kevin

I AM JEALOUS OF THIS. MOLA MOLA & MANTA AT BALI !!!

I been there 3 times and have not even seen that pgmy seahorse, let alone this bggies.

Remind me to have a word with the DS there before I hand over the $$

So will you shoparound in Bali for thebest price? Or do it online?
Will it make a different negotiating with them from online?

Juggernutt,

I asked a number of operators in the South & East of Bali, that seemed to fulfil my criteria for a good operator, for their best price after giving them my propsed itinerary (2 divers and min. 4 days diving possibly more at 3-4 dives a day - not necessarily consecutive).

The ones that responded with the best answers - and not just the best package price - were the ones we went with, we'll see if my selection process works after we get there but recommendations count for a lot and the ones I chose had good reports too.

Since we are moving around the island we can not dive with the same operators at all locations so for other diving days I have acquired some recommendations from other divers and checked out the websites, sent emails etc. to operators in the other more remote Northern locations. We'll finalise on arrival but at least we already have something in our hands regarding inclusions & price.

Fail to prepare = prepare to fail (oldie but goodie)

Kevin

A lot of them are really good.
I am really impressed with the way they all have responded. Esspecially Aquamarine . big WOW.

One strange thing...all operators recommended diving in Tulamban and Nusa if I stay in the south. But one master instructor refused to dive in Nusa, because of my inexperienced. it's just to dangerous. He said that i should dive in mejnagan instead.

Which operators are you considering?
Geko seems to be seriously the cheapest option. Nearly 100 U$ difference. Even though they don't give me a book.

Hi guys.... me and my wife are new diver... just get our Open water in may... we are keen on bali need more infor from experience diver...

As both of us never been to bali (btw we r from SG). we got no idea how should we book the trip.... eg should we book from sg tour agent or should we go to bali and book it? We are kind of blank now how u all can help us...

what is the price should i expect for the trip? which dive school should we go and what resort r recommended?

Thanks guys.

Aquamarine, Geko, Tauch Terminal and Spice Dive all gave good to excellent replies (if always a bit slow).

I went with Geko because of recommendations, very comprehensive replies and an excellent package over 4-5 days for 2 divers. All these outfits with the exception of Spice Dive perhaps, seem to have expatriate managers / instructors as you can see from the websites and email replies, AQ (GB), TT (D+?), Geko (GB + NL).

In the North we haven't decided who to use yet although Spice Dive are favourites !

By book I think you are talking about a course manual ? For OW or AOW (a lot of people take this after 10 dives or so - bad call Padi, personally I believe there should be a minimum number of dives logged, say 25 - 35 ) ? As Nusa Penida has some ripping currents (inc. down and changeable) then some experience is necessary.

You can buy the course manual separately if you wish - I think it was around 20 - 25 USD but I may be wrong.

I've heard fantastic things about both Menjangan and Nusa Penida (best two sites in Bali perhaps ?)- but completely different types of diving. Manjangan for it's incredible variety of life and superb coral growth, turtles and maybe pelagics, Nusa Penida for the pelagics, such as Manta, Mola Mola, Sharks etc. !

I'll be on the plane tomorrow and will let you know how it goes and if Geko are a good outfit - if I get a chance. Whatever I'm sure you'll have a great time !

Dive Safe
Kevin

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom