First time in 7mm suit - hypothermia must be better!

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

BTW, grab a thermos, put moderately warm water in it and pour it down the front of your wetsuit before you get into the water. helps alleviate the initial "ahhhhhhhh ttttthat's c -c-c-old wat-t-t-ter" feeling.

Any suggestions? Or do I just need to live with it? I understand that Dutch requires a 7mm all summer so I'm not sure I can dive without the hood.

BettyRubble

Much of what you describe is the reality of non tropical diving. The good news is that with well fit gear and a little practice the exhaustion and stress you describe become things of the past. Obviously it's not the same experience as tropical diving but being from the north and having done some warm water diving to contrast things to I will say that with practice cold water gear becomes a non issue.

The hood will muffle sound and the gloves do make manual tasks a little harder but again this comes down to gear selection and a little training. In our class hoods and gloves were required starting with the second night in the pool.

A lot of it depends on the fit, donning and doffing techniques and what configuration you select. I have rolled a lot of what has worked for me my wife into this piece. I hope it helps.

Here are some other ideas about getting the most out of that wetsuit.

Pete

For me, its the WORST part of diving.. I hate that 7mm plus farmer john/jane. I did my check out dives this past weekend with all that wonderful stuff.. I had these gloves on 7mm and they were stiff and have almost no mobility in my hands because of it.. Water was 10c and I really did not care how cold the water was, i just wanted them OFF.. Second day dove with skin or 1mm gloves and i was not cold at all..

You may want to just try a larger hood too. If your ears are squeezed to the point you can't clear them your hood is probably too tight. The nail hole seems like an interesting idea but wouldn't it keep your ears constantly cold as the water would have more freedom to circulate?

It's too late for this weekend, but a drysuit (with drygloves) is much more comfortable and warmer.

Any suggestions? Or do I just need to live with it? I understand that Dutch requires a 7mm all summer so I'm not sure I can dive without the hood.

Dutch actually gets to be "almost toasty" in the shallows later in the year. You could easily do it in a 3mm wetsuit around August or September if it's a hot summer.

Terry

Dutch gets much warmer towards the end of the summer so you won't need a hood or gloves unless you spend a lot of time in the 80' - 90' range. I got a Hendersen hood because I hated the choking feeling from the thing that tucks in - look at other brands because it really does make a difference.

Good luck - I like diving at Dutch. There's still things there I haven't seen :)

Julie

You'll get used to the heavy wetsuit. I felt exactly the same as you for probably the first 15-dives.

Some people would go with a lighter hood (5mm) or a non-tucked-in hood for slightly better comfort. As far as clearing the ears, just pull the hood off the face and let water get in then clear the ears. Do it on the surface so that the water isn't going to be as cold.

The wifey and I have a pair of 7mm Henderson Hyperstretch that are quite comfortable. Perhaps you may consider that if a drysuit is not in the budget right now. I had not heard that trick with the nail before, but I'll be sure to tell my wife because clearing while wearing the hood can be hit or miss with her sometimes.

Good luck at Dutch. Be sure to let us know how you make out!

About the 7mm, you get used to it, but I confess I preferred to get a little annoyed in the begining with the drysuit, now I don't want anything else!

Another thing... if you weighted in the pool don't forget that if you go sometime to salt water you will probably need to test again, depending on your body mass and equipment, you will need a couple of lbs more. Diving with a 7 mm without properly offsetting its buoyancy is not very pleasant in the end of the dive specially...

I'm in Northern Jersey and working on making my foray into local diving, which will include Dutch. Everybody recommends a 7mm suit with 7mm farmer john but that's 14mm on the core! Is that really necessary? I cringe even thinking about how that must feel not to mention how much weight I'll have to wear! Can I get away with just a full 7mm until I can afford a drysuit? Or, better yet, maybe get a nice 5mm suit for all purpose use and layer it with something?

Looking for ideas here...

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom