First time in 7mm suit - hypothermia must be better!

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

BettyRubble

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
Since I'll be doing my open water dives at Dutch Springs this weekend (requires a 7mm wetsuit), the dive shop had me in the pool tonight with full 7mm suit on (plus goves, plus hood, plus booties -- can we say 'michelin woman'.). Spent some time on getting me properly weighted and then reviewed some skills to be get comfy doing them in the getup. (did my class/pool work last month so this was just prep for OW cert)

Ok, hypothermia must be better! Good grief, it was exhausting putting on the gear, and cumbersome getting around in the gear, and let's not talk about getting out of the gear! LOL It was warm though so I'm sure these grievances will be quickly forgotten when I hit the 55 degree water in the quarry!

The single biggest annoyance was the hood. (It is a 'tuckable' one - not sure the proper term). The hood of course affects 'hearing' but also my ability to clear my ears, or be able to tell they are completely clear.

Any suggestions? Or do I just need to live with it? I understand that Dutch requires a 7mm all summer so I'm not sure I can dive without the hood.

Sorry for the rambling gripe session! Must say, it was still good to blow some bubbles . . . :)

Last edited:
Some of the newer 7mm suits are made of a really stretchy neoprene, if that wasn't the kind you had you may want to track one down to try it- big difference in comfort.

You can get lots of different hood types- some don't have the tail that tucks in so might be a bit more comfortable. You can also get them with and attached vest if you need something a little warmer.

If you're not getting water exchange under the hood you can always take a nail, heat it up and poke a small hole over each ear. Have someone mark the spot first- not a good idea to do this while wearing the hood.

And if you decide the 7mm is too much you can always go to a drysuit!

LOL You remind me of me in my first 7 mm. I was thinking to myself...Is THIS what people have to go through just to dive!!! I still have my original 7 mm Titanium hanging in my closet. Just the thought of it brings back bad memories. TC hit the nail on the head. So to speak. The more stretchable wetsuits on the market make getting into and out of a 7 mm MUCH more enjoyable. I enjoy my 7 mm Pinnacle wet suit very much. It keeps me incredibly warm and gives me a great deal of maneuverability. It truly is the most comfort wet suit I have owned. I understand Henderson makes a stretchable suit as well. The rental shop suits are usually a bit stiff and you may have to deal with it a bit until you decide to buy your own.

When I had problems clearing my ears with the hood on I would run my hand under the hood portion that covered my ears underwater and that created a small space that allowed me to clear my ears. It does let water in, but my ears did clear. Never thought about drilling holes over the ear section of the hood. Seems like a reasonable idea. You might also try different hoods. Not all hoods are made alike. Some may fit better and allow "space" between the ears and the hood to allow you to clear your ears better. You will definitely know when your ears have not cleared by that gentle pain in your ears as you descend. You can by a beanie, a 5mm or 7 mm hood, or poke the holes as mentioned above.

If you continue to dive in cold water I would consider a dry suit. It solves a few problems and creates a few more. We can discuss that later :). For now I would ask your Instructor if there are other wetsuits you can try. If not, you may be stuck with that one until you decide to buy your own. Good luck with your checkout dives!!

Do not worry, you will get used to it. Though I have never dove 7 mil but I had very similar feelings after putting on my dry suit and all that stuff. After 20th dive in that thing I just stopped noticing it. As for ear clearing and hoods in general. Make sure you have holes somewhere in the hood. Some companies just make them on the factory. If you do not have any just poke some with a hot needle. Besides if you cannot clear them as the hood is too tight just pull the hood away so the water can get in and you will not have any difficulties.

Definitely better to be a bit constricted than cold. Try a few wetsuits if you can (at least in the store) to try and find one that is most comfortable, because it does vary from suit to suit. If you are going to be doing lots of cold water diving I think it is definitely worth getting drysuit certified even if you don't dive dry all the time for when the water is colder or if you want to do more diving in a day.

I use a Henderson Hyperstretch Hood and it's a lot more comfy than the regular ones.
Try to avoid pulling the hood away from your ears, the 55* water will make plain why you will try to find another way to clear your ears

TC:
.........If you're not getting water exchange under the hood you can always take a nail, heat it up and poke a small hole over each ear. Have someone mark the spot first- not a good idea to do this while wearing the hood.

Tom, you take the fun out of everything! :D:D:D

And when he says
If you're not getting water exchange under the hood you can always take a nail, heat it up and poke a small hole over each ear.
He means poke holes in the hood.:rofl3::rofl3::rofl3:

Since I'll be doing my open water dives at Dutch Springs this weekend

I am going to be there for the same reason this Saturday!

Those that know the difference between a 7mm suit and anything else are the lucky ones. I've never worn anything less!!! In fact, with about 30 dives, only once have I not worn the 7mm AND a 3mm vest!

Flood the sides of your hood. I know it sucks for a few minutes but not as bad as clearing your ears. As soon as my head is underwater, I immediately pull the sides of my hood out and let water in. Then I immediately clear my ears. So far....so good.

On a lighter note, I just bought a drysuit. Can't wait to get in the water with it!!

I recertified last summer in 58 degree water. I have a 5/7 Everflex Steamer with a 3/5 hooded vest. I love the fact that the vest holds the hood down snug, and I do "steam" when I come out of the water. I dove it in 43 degree lake water in April and managed not to freeze stiff. I did purchase a drysuit, and can say those hoods are funky. I feel like it squishes my face into this ridiculous cortorted thing that screams "facelift gone wrong." It rides up and that drives me nuts. Otherwise, as one post mentioned the newer neoprenes stretch very nice. Oh I remember the days of having to cornstarch the entire inside of my Henderson custom fit to get it on. I didn't attend the contortionist tryouts, or I would have had a better idea how to get the dang thing off! I did manage, but I wasn't allowed to swear. Your ears, yes, heat up the nail and it should alleviate your troubles or just let all the water in on both sides. I just certified in my drysuit and now I see why people kiss them and write sonnets to them. Even though you feel cumbersome right now, in no time, you will feel at ease and I am anxious to read your further posts about this experience. You have a brotherhood and sisterhood who have experienced the same. Pay it forward when you have the chance. Let us know how you are coming along.

Back
Top Bottom