First Time Ft. Lauderdale

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

pilot fish:
Wow, 72* in July? That does surprise me. I was there in Feb last year and it was 76* in Key Largo. I will take my 3 mil and head covering.Thanks.

It was weird. We also hit a patch of what I was told was fresh water mixed with salt water that was like diving through fog. The whole thing was like the Twilight Zone.

evad:
It was weird. We also hit a patch of what I was told was fresh water mixed with salt water that was like diving through fog. The whole thing was like the Twilight Zone.

Was that a thermocline? How long did the fog-like water last?

evad:
I see that from time to time and have been told that it happens whenever "they" (who are THEY I don't know) release water from the
Everglades. The water is colder and the fish steer clear. The tanic acid from the 'glades filters the sunlight, and yes it is very strange!

The patches I've seen move with the shore-current and have been big enough so that I lose interest in the dive while they were passing, and therefore never checked to see how large they were.

I enjoy diving with South Florida Diving: www.southfloridadiving.com. I learned to dive with ProDive, but I find the boats get pretty crowded with training classes which makes the water entries pretty tight and time-consuming. The aft platform is the only way on or off the boat and the I believe the dives are all anchor dives.

South Florida Diving uses smaller catamarans which have five exits that make getting in the water quick and easy. Also the side ladders are easier to climb even with a chop, and there is always a crew member there to grab your tank, if you need it. The dives are drift dives and I've never had to wait long to be picked up.

You can also book your trips online and they have a choice of scheduled locations. Their website is really well organized as is the whole operation.

pilot fish:
Was that a thermocline? How long did the fog-like water last?

It is called a halocline.

evad:
think about it where would a giant spot of fresh water come from in the ocean.
Did you see little flakes of toilet paper? probably not their pumps shred it up good! sorry to inform you of the fact that you were swimming in ****.
PROTEST THE CRUISE SHIPS NOW!

reefsavers.org:
Did you see little flakes of toilet paper? probably not their pumps shred it up good! sorry to inform you of the fact that you were swimming in ****.

Whooooooooooooo, that is rough. OK, how do we protest the cruise ships?

reefsavers.org:

Or, underwater springs, or, storm sewer discharges....

Ah, ignorance is bliss, I guess....

pilot fish:
Wow, 72* in July? That does surprise me. I was there in Feb last year and it was 76* in Key Largo. I will take my 3 mil and head covering.Thanks.

The water is often colder at depth in the Summer than it is in Winter. Cold water upwelling can bring in the colder water.

Last Summer, it hit 63 on a dive for me. However, that was at about 220 feet. It can be lin the low 70's or less at about 70 feet frequently during the Summer.

https://xf2.scubaboard.com/community/forums/cave-diving.45/

Back
Top Bottom