First time diving in Florida need advice please

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Seanluge

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
100 - 199
Hey y'all!

I'm coming down from Canada to visit my parents who have a condo near Naples and we are going to take a trip for a few days to the Florida Keys. I've never been to Florida and it seems like there is a massive amount of diving along the keys, I was just wondering where the best diving is? is there one place that's better than others? my buddy who lives in Key West mentioned something about a place called Looe Key? Also I'm going with both my parents my Sister and my brother, where would be a good place to chill and keep as a home base for 2-3 days where there will be some stuff to do and see and will have some reasonably priced accommodations.

My brother and sister might want to try diving, neither are certified but I'm trying to twist their arms into giving it a go, but they might just want to snorkel. So yea.. It would be awesome to get some local knowledge of a place that's chill, has some stuff to do for the old folks and isn't a snooze fest for the kids in their 20's and 30's that also has some fantastic diving close by, does this fantasy world exist in Florida?

Any advice would be much appreciated!

The closest key to you, Key Largo, might be what you are looking for. The reefs include a massive area of shallow and (usually) calm water that is ideal for both learning to dive and for snorkeling.

Key Largo has really good shallow reef diving. It within a reasonable drive of Naples. You can go farther down, but driving is not fast in the keys and I think the diving farther down is not as good.

http://www.keywestexpress.us/?utm_content=951627848&utm_source=bing&utm_medium=cpc&utm_campaign=General%20Placement&utm_term=naples%20to%20key%20west

You can also take the ferry from Naples to Key West. I like the diving in Key Largo better, though.

I've heard repeatedly that the upper Keys has the best diving; that'd be Key Largo and Islamorada. I've been to Key Largo (trip report) - Rainbow Reef Dive Center has moved their operation a bit, but if I understood correctly not far. It's not a place with much in the way of beaches; adjust your expectations accordingly. But it's not all that far from mainland Florida.

Some non-divers with me did a glass bottomed boat tour out of Pennekamp State Park. There was a dolphin excursion in the area that they didn't hit since our daughter was too young, & likewise didn't do the Everglades air boat tour. My point is, there are non-diving things to do in the region, even if it seems a little 'sleepy' at 1st.

Richard.

I've heard repeatedly that the upper Keys has the best diving; that'd be Key Largo and Islamorada. I've been to Key Largo (trip report) - Rainbow Reef Dive Center has moved their operation a bit, but if I understood correctly not far. It's not a place with much in the way of beaches; adjust your expectations accordingly. But it's not all that far from mainland Florida.

Some non-divers with me did a glass bottomed boat tour out of Pennekamp State Park. There was a dolphin excursion in the area that they didn't hit since our daughter was too young, & likewise didn't do the Everglades air boat tour. My point is, there are non-diving things to do in the region, even if it seems a little 'sleepy' at 1st.

Richard.

Agree, but you will also have fun in Key West. It is just more limited choices. You can't lose either way.

my buddy who lives in Key West mentioned something about a place called Looe Key?

Looe key/reef is a very nice shallow reef. It has a lot of marine life. Good place if you have snorkelers with you as it's a very good snorkeling spot. However, the middle keys are pretty much a snooze fest. It's very quite there.

From a diving perspective, Key Largo and Islamorada are the best. I made three dive trips to the Keys this year and spent the entire time in the upper Keys. From a nightlife and top side activity standpoint, Key West is really cool. Not that Key West doesn't have diving, the Vandenberg is a world class wreck to dive, but there are far more sites and variety of dives in the upper Keys: at least that the charter boats go to. Key Largo does have some fun bars and restaurants, but there are not nearly as many other top-side touristy type activities as there are in Key West. My bet is your parents/grandparents would enjoy seeing the Eisenhower Whitehouse, Hemingway House, Museums, Church tours, watching the sun set over Mallory Square and other activities on Key West. You'll enjoy the bars, restaurants, night clubs and stuff like that on or near Duvall Street. Key Largo has plenty of bars and restaurants, but nothing is really walkable like Duvall Street in Key West. You'll probably need to make a decision on whether this trip is more about top-side activities with some diving thrown in (Key West) or a diving trip with a few top-side activities thrown in (Key Largo).

I've tried to dive Looe Key several times but got blown out by the marine conditions each time. My daughter has snorkeled it and said it is quite beautiful and a dive buddy really enjoyed his dive trip. Getting to the dive boats that go to Looe Key from Key West is pretty easy: so if you choose Key West instead of the upper Keys, you can easily make a morning or afternoon trip to Looe Key.

Last edited:
If you have your heart set on diving the keys, other than diving the Vandenberg in Key West, Key Largo and Islamorada are the places to go. If I was only going to be in Florida this one trip with no idea of when I was coming back again, I'd head to the Atlantic side and dive the Palm Beach locations.

Looe Key is a TOTAL CRAPSHOOT.
Yes...
It is vey nice.
However....
As Sport said above, it is hard at times to actually get out there.
It is LEGEND as being the FIRST place in the Keys to blow out, and the LAST place to come back to a diveable condition.
You might get lucky and have 7 clean days in a row, but even an afternoon thunder-boomer can kick up a terrible white out and lift the seas in about 15 minutes there.
So...
Key Weird for drinkin' and Shoppin' and Sunset tomfoolery.
Islamorada to Key Largo for better diving than Key Weird.
Islamorada also has a nice dining, drinking, and sunset scene also.
Fort Lauderdale and Pompano has wrecks-wrecks-wrecks, and good reefs, but get to know the Keys First for your first trip, as Data Broward and Palm Beach counties are really just a big bad city with some great diving on the East side.

Chug
Loves the "Pompton" area, Likes the Florida Keys.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/
https://xf2.scubaboard.com/community/forums/cave-diving.45/

Back
Top Bottom