First time diving in Florida need advice please

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Note that the boats go out twice a day from Key Largo. Why not do both? You are coming from Naples. Stop in Key Largo for a day or two. Then head down to key west for a couple days. THen on the way back stop in largo for another day or two. Breaks up the driving. Gives everybody some variety. My wife liked the dolphin encounter. When we were there it came in choice from wade it and they come up and interact with you to you are swimming and they push you around and jump over you. Takes place in a pond connected to ocean. There is a beach in Key Largo at Pennekamp park called cannon beach. Lots of the upside down jellyfish which snorklers would probably find cool. But no reef.

I looked into a few of the dive shops and I like the looks of silent world, does anyone know any decent places to stay that are close by that are on the cheaper side?

---------- Post added October 17th, 2015 at 01:49 PM ----------

Also if anyone knows of anyone or has accommodations available in a private home or rental suite let a brother know! I'm traveling with my parents both in their late 60's my older brother and little sister, we aren't there to party or anything, just a mellow exploratory vacation.

Was going to answer but waiting - glad you clarified.

Ocean Pointe Suites is an outstanding choice. Significantly better accommodations with only a slightly more expensive price tag than the typical diver places.

Diver type places to me are more along the lines of The Pelican, Sunset Cove or Bayside Inn... reasonable prices but nothing fancy.

Higher end places include the Marriott Resort and the Largo Resort. Really nice but you pay the price.

Ocean Pointe Suites gets you the best of both for the most part. It's about a 15 to 20 min drive from Silent World but didn't have any issues. Good part too is that Ocean Pointe is a little further down the Keys to the point where you have some good choices to eat outside of what's in Key Largo.

Thanks for that Pickens! I'm looking at all of those places and they look right up my alley!

This thread is very timely as a buddy and I are new OW guys and looking to go down that way in January.

What is the water temp that time of year around largo? 3mm, 5mm or 7mm preferred?

Thanks,

I'm trying to twist my sisters arm into getting her OW or to do the discover scuba course but she's saying it's too expensive.. So we might go on a snorkeling trip one day instead. I'm guessing the dive shops that offer snorkeling just take you to dive sites that are compatible with both divers and snorkelers? I've seen this before and it usually works out in the divers favor. Would it be better to go with a dedicated snorkel tour company like this?
Snorkel Key Largo, Keys Diver, Christ Statue, Pennekamp Park

does anyone know If there's any unique snorkel trips that might take you to some more remote and interesting reefs? or are they all pretty similar?

This thread is very timely as a buddy and I are new OW guys and looking to go down that way in January.

What is the water temp that time of year around largo? 3mm, 5mm or 7mm preferred?

Thanks,

Winter diving is a 7mm for me, but I see people in shorties and dry suits during the winter. Everyone has a different tolerance for the colder water. Water temps will probably be in low 70s

https://xf2.scubaboard.com/community/forums/cave-diving.45/

Back
Top Bottom