First time diving Curacao

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

didi440

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
I am heading to Curacao with my dive shop for a week of thawing out and diving. We are staying at the Lodge Kura Hulanda. Can anyone tell me if there is a market nearby? Do they have rental cars on site or should we rent one from the airport? Also, is there a guest laundry facility on the grounds?

How is the shore diving in Curacao? I have been to Bonaire several times. I expect it to be different because it's a different island. Having said that, is it as easy and abundant as
Bonaire? What are your favorite dive sites? And what is the best site for photography?

Thanks.
Didi

Hi Didi,

I am sure you will have a lot of fun on Curacao!

The next market (a so-called mini-market) you will find in Barber, that means driving for approximately 15 minutes from the Lodge. Entering Barber take a right turn at the bank. The market will be on the right hand side. You can also continue a bit in direction to Willemstad, and you will find California supermarket and another mini-market in Tera Cora (20 minutes driving).

For car rentals you can contact Go West Diving (the dive shop right beside the lodge, diveshop@oceanencounterswest.com) - they might be able to help you there; if things haven't changed they have cars for rent on site.

The shore diving on Curacao is nice and easy, there are lots of posts on this forum discussing the different dive sites. You can get a lot of advice as well as a dive & drive map from Go West Diving. Personally, I prefer the 2 sites in Westpunt, Playa Kalki (right in front of the lodge) and Playa Piscado (right in front of All West Apartments - fishermen's harbor, but a lot of cool stuff to be found), and the sites of the San Juan area, Playa Largu and Playa Shon Mosa. Playa Lagun is also very nice. There are good sites also in the east of the island, like the Superior Producer Wreck, Playa Marie Pompun, or Director's Bay / Tugboat. Expect to spend more time driving around than on Bonaire (Curacao is twice the size of Bonaire, and there is no coastal road like in the south of Bonaire that you just drive along, stop wherever you like, and hop in the water, so you have to take some detours to reach the dive sites), but you will find more smooth and esay beach entries. I have heard many SB members say that they think the reef architecture of Curacao is more diverse, while you see more / bigger fish on Bonaire. I haven't been to Bonaire since 1999 - after my first visit to Curacao (in 2004) I didn't see the incentive, yet back then I found that the differences underwater in my opinion are neglectable. How things may have changed, I cannot tell.

There are also wonderful sites to go boat diving: I recommend Rediho, Mako's Mountain, Scooter, Watamula, and Paradise (offered by Go West Diving), and East Point (offered by Dive Charter Curacao and Ocean Encounters). I don't know if it's because they see less divers than the shore dive sites, but on average I always felt the coral to be in a better shape at the boat dive sites.

Whatever you choose to do, have a lot of fun on Curacao with your group, and say hi to Sunshine and David at Sol Food (Curacao Sunshine - Rental Property on the Island of Curacao); they offer great food, and a fun atmosphere, on the weekend days!

Greetings from Cologne, Germany

Andreas

I am heading to Curacao with my dive shop for a week of thawing out and diving. We are staying at the Lodge Kura Hulanda. Can anyone tell me if there is a market nearby? Do they have rental cars on site or should we rent one from the airport? Also, is there a guest laundry facility on the grounds?

How is the shore diving in Curacao? I have been to Bonaire several times. I expect it to be different because it's a different island. Having said that, is it as easy and abundant as
Bonaire? What are your favorite dive sites? And what is the best site for photography?

Thanks.
Didi

I agree, a search here should help a lot.

Generally, compared to Bonaire:

Longer swims to reef
Mostly easier and sandier entries
Longer distances between dive sites, more driving generally
More dive sites with food/drinks and tank rentals available
Greater variety of diving if willing to move around island
Probably worth at least a few boat dives

As a big fan of shore diving, I have to reluctantly agree with Andreas that sometimes the reefs are nicer on some of the boat dives. (Hi Andreas, Wie Geht's?)

Overall, reefs and critters are very similar (You can see Bonaire from Curacao in the right spots)

Since you are going with a dive shop, I am guessing your diving will be setup in advance, and you may not be making choices.

Have a nice time.

Andreas back on ScubaBoard and both Johns headed to Westpunt this year! What a great thread to hear from you all :)
Just a tiny clarification..... there is a mini market in Barber just a hundred yards in from the turn at the church and a mini market at the turn to Barber when you are coming from the Lagun direction, but there is a larger mini market on top of the hill in between the two of them. But if you are on the afternoon flight, I'd recommend stopping at Centrum before you drive West.
Photography is easy because on most dives, you'll find plenty of subjects in 45 feet or less so the color will be even brighter.
Even though I constantly admit to preferring the west side dives, some of the memorable ones have been; on the East side (with Neils of Dive Charter Curacao) at Marie Pampoen (with Mark & Suzy of the Dive Bus) and Seldom when Bryan (of Go West Diving) woke me up early to get on the boat.
Since you are staying in Westpunt, you might want to consider snorkeling in the bay one day to photograph all the turtles, occasional rays and eels.
As far as a car rental.... if you are planning on a lot of boat dives, just rent a car at the Lodge for a couple of days to tour the island.

The ocean front rooms at Kura Hulanda Lodge (KHL) have quite the view for sunsets. Playa Forti just down the road from KHL is a nice dive if you go out and around to the left. A little bit like a dumping ground at first but be patient it improves dramatically. You can combine Playa Piscado and some of Playa Kalki if you get dropped off by vehicle at Piscdo and head toward KLH it can be done on one tank, but should you run low on air you will be close enough to KLH to surface swim the rest of the way. Take some time and experience the restaraunts on the way to Willemstad. Don't forget to visit the sister hotel to Kura Hulanda Lodge in town. The hotel has a daily shuttle there and back. You will have all the privileges don't forget your guest cards. IMHO dining at the sister hotel is much better than KLH and reasonably priced. You can bill your room at KHL. Make the trip to the downtown sister hotel early in your trip and you'll return before you leave. If you wait until the end of the trip you'll wish had gone earlier in the week. As Andreas said the dining at Sol's (Sunshine's place) is very good. You can even rent a mountain bike from David and do the trails behind KHL. Bring water and sunblock! Also try Jaanchi's restaraunt if you like birds in the kitchen.

Thanks for all the info. My dive shop is pretty relaxed on this particular trip as far as dives are concerned. It's winter break in NY and we have a lot of families and non-diving spouses/kids on this trip. We can dive as little or as much as we want. The boat diving is arranged in advance, but we can choose to skip the boat dives if we want. I know we are planning on doing some dawn dives and some night dives. I am really looking forward to this trip. I will post a report when we get back. I have made notes of all the tips for eating. And for getting supplies. I know I drink a ton of water when diving.

I know that several of us plan to explore the Island a bit while off gassing. We know that Carnival is going on while we are there and look forward to experiencing that as well.

I know I drink a ton of water when diving.

No need to buy bottled water on Curacao - the water running out of the taps is very good, even tastes nice. So maybe buy one or two bottles, and refill them at your convenience.

Carnival..... If you are arriving on this Saturday, there is a parade on the road Andreas and I mentioned - toko (small store) on the south shore to Church in Barber. Hopefully there is someone to show you the south side route..... After the large gas station in Tera Cora, take the 1st left you come to - the sign says Lagun. Drive 13 miles to Westpunt. You'll still hit some traffic but not as much as you would by driving straight. That said..... I read online that the parade will start at 10AM this year. Even if it starts 2 hours later, the participants would be headed away from the south side by 3PM - hopefully....

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom