First time dive in Cabo

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

mbryant27

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
50 - 99
My family and I will be diving in Cabo for the first time the first week in August. We have dove Cozumel several times and Grand Bahamas, but never in the Pacific. Does anyone have a dive op they can recommend for a family that is used to using small div ops in the past. Will we need 3 or 5 mil whole body suits for the Pacific at that time and what are the best dives in that area. Any help would be much appreciated.

Hello and welcome to ScubaBoard!

I was just in Cabo last month. Went there for a long weekend and only got in one day of diving (there were a total of 9 of us; friends and significant others- only 3 of us dove). There were 8 divers split up between 2 DMs.

We dove with Manta Divers. Our bottom times were limited to about 50 minutes. We paid more to go to Cabo Plumo (about a 2 hour boat ride) because Gordo Banks wasn't divable yet. :(

Cabo Plumo was great. We saw a turtle, many eels, many rays, a couple of mantas and more fish on one single dive than I've ever seen. There were 4 different schools of thousands of fish. Very cool.

I also was in Cabo last month and used Lands End divers.
It's a small op with a small boat that would be fine for a family.
I dove Pelican Rock/Sand falls and Mirra wall.
It was just me and DM Eric diving with the boat capt. as surface support.
all went well so what more can be said.

I have been going to Cabo the first week in August for the past several years. Last summer at Cabo Pulmo I also saw more fish than any other dive with almost 200 logged dives. There can be current and the viz can be down but it is worth the trip. Car rentals can be expensive but it does give you some freedom to explore the east cape or if you want a rustic night, Cabo Pulmo Beach Resort has bungalows for rent that have kitchens and are comfortable although they don't have air conditioning. Prepare for it to be hot but without the humidity of Philly and you will probably be comfortable. They also have a rocky but pleasant swimming beach at Cabo Pulmo and only a couple of placed to eat. The dive shop there has two pangas and it's only a 10 or 15 minute ride out to the reef. I have been using a 3 mil hyperstretch but am taking a 3 mil shorty this year as the water can get chilly on the second dive or at some of the other dive sites like Santa Maria blowhole or the sandfalls at 90'.

Have a great time!

I dove down in Cabo in June of 2005. The diving was decent in terms of things to see, but the water was chilly. I think my computer logged 72F on most dives. We dove with Underwater Diversions after walking around and chatting with several dive shops. They were great and we always had a DM with us. I brought a 3/2mm full because i did not do any research about water temps beforehand and had to borrow additional wetsuits that they did not charge us for because they said the water was unseasonably cold.

During the week, we also did a trip to Cabo Pulmos and it was definitely worth it. It's an all day trip, but IMO, the diving is much better than Cabo. We saw a hammerhead briefly, several manta rays, tons of other fish, and the water was noticeably warmer.

Cabo also has many great restaurants near and away from the marina. The best sushi I have ever eaten was in Cabo...go figure.

You will fine in a 3mm suit water should be in the upper 70s and low 80s.
I like peligan Rock where the Sands Falls are and the Sea Lions Colony.
There are more species of tropical fish in the Sea of Cortez Than any place I have Dove.You are going at the time of year when there is a good chance of seeing Mantas And Whalesharks.Snorkelers will also have a good time.It seems the fish know when the Divers are coming they all come up to the Boats a look right at you.I think they are looking for a free snack.I Dive with Baja Dive Big Boat 40 feet with a full hard top and a great crew.And a plus for me is they have all safty gear Co2 first Aid kit.And on Board head.
Follow this link to a web site. Home :wink:

We go every year for Labour Day, I always dive with Amigos del Mar. They have a nice, wide catamaran boat with a head and oxygen. They have good rental gear that is well maintained. Whatever dive op you choose take a look at their dive boat on the web, lots of Dive ops use a panga which can be difficult to get back into and doesn't have room to store your stuff. What dive op you use also depends on where you are staying. If you are staying at the Sol Mar, Playa Grande, Finisterra or Terra Sol the closest dive op is Amigos Del Mar, its a short walk.

In early August the water temp will probably be high 70s, maybe even low 80s. I wear a 3mm long.

Please feel free to drop by BajaDivers.com where we have 15 Los Cabos dive operators listed, with links to their Web sites. You'll also find write-ups on almost 20 dive sites/areas around Los Cabos, as well as operators and sites in other parts of the Baja peninsula.

We're an informational Website for divers planning trips to the Baja peninsula and our goal is to list every established dive operator and every named dive site/area along Baja's 2,000-mile coastline. We're not quite there yet, but the Los Cabos area is well covered.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom