First stage clone chart

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I wonder how much it would cost me to have my own reg with my name as the manufacture? Think how much fun you could have. Now to think of a name to call it . . .

The cost per reg is cheap. Even certain shops are doing it. TDL for example gets the "Ocean Divers Supply Tawain" regs and puts TDL on them.

the problem is the "minimum order" required. You just can't order one from the OEM's.
You have to order their "minimums".

I'm sure there is a way to order one w/o a logo though from someone and then figure out a way to label/logo it yourself for a qty of one.

Actually I got that a bit wrong. Tabata is the MFG. Tusa = Tabata USA

The call them Tusa over here too. No one says Tabata. I'll try it at my LDS and see if they even know what Tabata is.

No matter how a 1st stage "looks" on the outside be careful that most companies change 1 or more components so they are not exact. I have been servicing equipment for almost 30 years and yes some parts do look close and yes some untrained technicians will swap parts. This may happen when they are not authorized by that mfg to service, or when one company drops a model from it's line or just because after market parts are cheaper. For liability reasons I will only use parts supplied by the mfg named on the product, if a part becomes unavailable then so should the regulator. Of course cutting corners is done everyday and in some cases work but more often than not I am re-doing a service because either the parts are wrong or not replaced at all. If it is important to you to keep using a 20+ year old and your comfortable using "other" parts then that is a choice you have to make. It is after all ONLY life support.

ScubaPro MK16
TUSA RS460

Oceanic SP4 & ScubaPro MK2

It's more complicated than that. For example company A may design a reg and then farm it out for production to company B. Company B may then make similar models under license and sell them through company C.

The Scubapro Mk 16 S55 is a good example. The Mk 16 and S555 were both Scubapro designs that Tabata was contracted to produce. However, Tabata also made and continues to make licensed versions that were sold by TUSA (as in Tabata USA) as the RS-460 - a combination of the R-400 first stage and S-60 second stage - both of which are dead ringers for the Mk 16 and S555 with the exception of some minor cosmetic changes. And the current R-400 also includes the same poppet upgrade that the Mk 16 got a year or two ago when the new Mk 17 poppet was retrofitted to the Mk 16.

It is a good arrangement for Scubapro as they have no need to devote the resources to manufacturing resources for what is a small volume item, so they save money and benefit from Tabata's world class manufacturing facilities. Scubapro also saves on production costs by cutting a deal to allow Tabata to sell licenced copies and Tabata benefits from access to the Scubapro design that they then market through TUSA.

Where it gets confusing is that Tabata is a Japanese company with production facilities in Japan and Taiwan, but the Scubapro box the reg comes in will suggest the reg is made in Italy. I am not sure if just the box is made in Italy or if the parts are shipped to Italy and assembled there. I suspect the latter.

In any event, Tabata has been making scuba equipment since 1952.

Sherwood is another early maker of regs. They were around for 30 years making medical and gas handling equipment before getting into the scuba manufacturing business in 1955, but even though they made regs or parts for nearly every company selling scuba regulators, they did not sell a reg under their own name until 1972.

Beuchat is a third early maker of scuba equipment and early Scubapro and Beuchat models have the same similarities as do Scubapro and TUSA.

Between the three of them, I suspect they make the majority of regulators sold worldwide.

More stuff from DA

Coltri Sub C9000 + high polish = OMS r-251 ?

Attachments

• coltrisubC9000_vs_OMSr251.JPG
    coltrisubC9000_vs_OMSr251.JPG
    23.9 KB · Views: 318
Tusa RS-460 Second Stage vs. Scubapro R395 Second Stage

Different face plate same internals and dimensions

so... where can I get Apeks rebuild kits then?

:eyebrow:

It may be the same as Conshelf/Titan. Luis.....do you know what else shares internals with the Conshelf/RAM/Titan?

Back
Top Bottom