First set of regulators for a newbie?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Gotcha... Well I don't care too much how it looks. I just want something reliable that I'll feel safe diving. I've heard of the brand before just not that specific model. Yet again I'm new at this...

Is it more for cold water? All my diving will most likely be in warm water down in south Florida, keys, Caribbean.
AFAIK the definition(Apeks) for cold water is 10C so any non environmental sealed first stage(eg. US4 and UST) is fine for tropical warm water. However, as someone had already pointed out it is difficult to rinse the reg. I used to use Apeks US1 and US4 as deco reg but gave up eventually because I noticed the amount of salt being accumulated inside the LP chamber when I serviced both regs. I thought I had done a thorough rinsing but I was wrong.
Environmental sealed reg is my preference.

You'll notice that threads sometimes tend to get side-tracked here on SB. Here's my suggestion. Buy from your local dive store. In my experience, most local dive shops are able to get pretty close to on-line prices. But even if you pay a little more, you're getting service you can't get on-line. Virtually all of the major brands produce quality products. For regulators, one of the important considerations is being able to get it serviced locally. So find out what your local shops sells/services and let that be a guide for which brand to buy.
Yeah I kinda noticed from other post haha

My lds is selling a set that I rented the other day for $590 less than a yr old.

Aqualung core 1st & 2nd
ABS octo
And suunto zoop console

AFAIK the definition(Apeks) for cold water is 10C so any non environmental sealed first stage(eg. US4 and UST) is fine for tropical warm water. However, as someone had already pointed out it is difficult to rinse the reg. I used to use Apeks US1 and US4 as deco reg but gave up eventually because I noticed the amount of salt being accumulated inside the LP chamber when I serviced both regs. I thought I had done a thorough rinsing but I was wrong.
Environmental sealed reg is my preference.
Gotcha

The Core is an excellent regulator, one of the best. However, the $590 for a rental service regulator, I would probably pass on that non-deal.

Consoles are not desirable except with the shops that push them.

N

The Core is an excellent regulator, one of the best. However, the $590 for a rental service regulator, I would probably pass on that non-deal.

Consoles are not desirable except with the shops that push them.

N
Ok good to know. Thanks!

How bout that apeks tx50 deal?

One more thing to add on this Apeks special offer.
If it is an old model then it is most likely comes with ONE 1/2"LP port on the turret. Not a real problem on itself if it is plugged. However, if it is the port that the 2nd stage is being attached. Then you better have a contingency to deal with hose failure! AFAIK, not many places stock LP hose with 1/2" fitting so you would have to hire a complete set to deal with it.
There are two ways to deal with this problem:
1. Closed it with a 1/2' plug.
2. Buy a adapter(1/2" male = 3/8 female) and closed it with a plug(3/8" male).
I use both methods on two of my old Apeks regs.
The newer Apeks models had replaced the 1/2" port with 3/8". BTW, not all Apeks eg. DS4 have this "problem".

Apeks regs built like tank with solid materials. Some divers don't like them because of the weight(solid brass).

Hi Jose,

For your first set of regulators don't panic too much just get a quality set. I would recommend going new rather than second hand if you can afford it.

Apeks, Scubapro, Hollis, Halcyon etc. They will work fine. I wouldn't recommend going for the top line either. Something like an XTX50, DST first stage and a simple octo. It's not important to have breathing rate adjustability on the Octopus. Unless money is no object. Most of the differences are aesthetic.

Don't worry to much about what people are saying about ice diving especially if it doesn't effect you.

There are plenty of nice regs out there and if you stick with the well know brands you won't go wrong. Consider miflex hoses as well they are very good for travel.

Computer wise just get something simple. As long as it does nitrox and air you are sorted.

Suunto Zoop Novo or Vyper Novo. I would get a puck size computer as they are easier to read. Again stick to the well know brands and you'll be fine. Keep it simple to start with and DONT BUY INTO THE DIVESHOP BULLCRAP! You don't need to spend a fortune.

If you want to spend you money and get real value spend it on diving more and more and pay for quality instructors and courses.

Also don't be afraid to go second hand with a computer they are pretty reliable but I have been burnt with second hand regulators before.

Don't get a console just use a quality brass spg. Instruments are better off on the arms where you can see them.

... Buy from your local dive store. In my experience, most local dive shops are able to get pretty close to on-line prices.

Maybe, but usually only if you ask them to price match. In my experience, most shops will be more than happy to charge you full retail even if they know you could get a much better deal.

.... But even if you pay a little more, you're getting service you can't get on-line.

Yes (..and No).. Many shops send your regs off for service anyway.. So for that.. I might as well send them off myself and deal directly with the service supplier. There are several very good options for mail-in reg service, and although that mandates more planning, it puts you in control of the process and opens up brand choice by a lot.

Of course.. You cannot buy gas online.. but if you are a vacation diver, you are not buying gas locally anyway. And you might have other options for gas fills anyway if you look. (ie clubs, fire stations etc).

I am not against local shops, and I typically weigh the cost benefit with most of my significant purchases. I do try to support the local business, but there is a limit to how much one can take. ie: If you can afford to spend $500 on a particular item you need, are you going to buy an inferior product locally just to help out your LDS? Or buy the higher end product from an online supplier.

Re: used gear.. This is a very touchy subject, and depends a lot on the kind of customer/diver you are. I would never buy something used unless I had a 100% understanding of how it works and how to test/trouble shoot it. I have purchased used gear that was a tremendous bargain, and I have been ripped off by people selling junk. It's all about being educated and knowing what your looking for.

Caveeagle: I suppose it depends on your local shop. I deal with two shops, one local and the other a few hours away where I do my diving out of. Both shops have excellent technicians and do all their own service in house. They also sell all their gear at internet prices or sometimes even lower.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom