first set of dive gear

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Jbell8289

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
25 - 49
I was looking for some critique of the gear that i have potentially selected for my first big purchase. I have used both jacket style and bp/w and of course found the bp/w far superior so i have def decided to go that route....thats the only thing im sure of. I am AOW and nitrox certified and will be diving both fresh and salt water 70 degrees and up mainly just recreational diving but am thinking abt taking a cavern diving course in the next few months. I will be diving mainly alum 80s but am considering buying a steel lp 95.
So far im leaning towards:

Dive rite transplate harness
Aluminum backplate?
Dive rite 16lbs integrated weights system (hate weight belts)
HOG 32 single tank wing
Oceanic delta 4 second stage w/ fdx10 first stage
oceanic slimline 2 octo
oceanic veo 180 navcon computer

any advice would be great thanks

I was looking for some critique of the gear that i have potentially selected for my first big purchase. I have used both jacket style and bp/w and of course found the bp/w far superior so i have def decided to go that route....thats the only thing im sure of. I am AOW and nitrox certified and will be diving both fresh and salt water 70 degrees and up mainly just recreational diving but am thinking abt taking a cavern diving course in the next few months. I will be diving mainly alum 80s but am considering buying a steel lp 95.
So far im leaning towards:

Dive rite transplate harness
Aluminum backplate?
Dive rite 16lbs integrated weights system (hate weight belts)
HOG 32 single tank wing
Oceanic delta 4 second stage w/ fdx10 first stage
oceanic slimline 2 octo
oceanic veo 180 navcon computer

any advice would be great thanks

BCD:
BackPlate and Wing Package reviews and discounts, Dive Rite
You can consider the 40 lbs wing as an add on.

As for weight pockets, I prefer these:
XS Scuba Single Tank Weight Pocket
They are small enough to be place around the waist to the cam bands etc.

I wouldn't recommend the oceanic slimline 2 octo, in fact for those prices of the reg, you might as well consider a scubapro mk17 from LP.

When their site is working, you can also check out the prices of Apeks... just search for diveinn.

Cheers,

SangP

All nice stuff......

I would upgrade the Octo to the same unit as your primary......

An AL backplate is a solid choice as an allrounder........

I aslo use the XS Scuba pockets but the ditchable weight is a good way to go.....

How much lead do you think you will need?

Hope this helps.......M

wow all great advice....as far as the octo goes i think i will take a second look and see if i can find a higher quality one., glad to hear the AL backplate is a good choice i was really unsure abt that ....as far as wight goes i usually use abt 12lbs with my 3mm suit. ....any problems with the computer or the delta 4?
thanks again for all the help

I won a Delta4/FDX10 reg at our dive clubs pumpkin dive 2 years ago.....

Great reg, breathes well, works well in cold water.........mine had the swivel ....very nice......

I sold it as I have 5 other regs but I did think it was nice......

Can't comment on the computer, we a Suunto family......

Hope this helps......M

About the weight......

I use 8 lbs with my 3mm fullsuit

I use the XS pouches because I place all 8 lbs up on my top tank band - 4 lbs per pocket.....

This does make the weight "non-ditchable".....unless my buddy does it for me........so I am not sure I would suggest that others do as I do........

I do this as it helps me trim out, for some reason I am very leg heavy, if I kept the weight on my belt/hips I would rotate feet down if I stopped fining.......

I do use SP Lighting Jet fins which are heavy and negatively buoyant.....so that might be part of the reason.......

Hope this helps........M

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom