First Scuba Diving with DPDR

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

OP
P
Reaction score
# of dives
None - Not Certified
I am planning to go for my first recreational scuba diving experience, and I have a few concerns regarding my health condition. I have been diagnosed with DPDR (Depersonalization-Derealization Disorder) and have been taking medications for the past two months. I am currently on a daily dose of Prozac (fluoxetine) 20mg and Indeloc (propranolol) 20mg.

The maximum depth mentioned in the itinerary for the dive is 40 feet, with a duration of 40 minutes.

Considering my medical condition, the medications I am taking, would it be safe for me to go for this dive?

I am planning to go for my first recreational scuba diving experience, and I have a few concerns regarding my health condition. I have been diagnosed with DPDR (Depersonalization-Derealization Disorder) and have been taking medications for the past two months. I am currently on a daily dose of Prozac (fluoxetine) 20mg and Indeloc (propranolol) 20mg.

The maximum depth mentioned in the itinerary for the dive is 40 feet, with a duration of 40 minutes.

Considering my medical condition, the medications I am taking, would it be safe for me to go for this dive?
Great question and thank you for posting this. If you're otherwise in good health, the answer would depend on whether you're experiencing any side effects from your medications and how your symptoms are. Those are low doses of each medication, but most medications are not formally tested in a diving environment so anyone who dives while taking medications assumes at least some level of risk. There are probably a lot of divers who are on an antidepressant and do just fine. Propranolol is a beta blocker that slows your heart rate and could make you less tolerant of exercise.

Also, if your symptoms were causing you significant distress and they're not controlled or are only partly controlled by the medications, then (with the disclaimer that I'm not a mental health professional) there could be a concern about experiencing an episode under water, which could lead to panic and put you at risk of injury.

A tour operator would request that you disclose this before diving and would likely require a physician sign-off for you to dive. There may be a form on their website if they have one. If not, here is a link to a form that is used by one of the large dive training organizations. I would recommend that you contact the provider who is following you for this and ask this question of him/her.

Best regards,
DDM

Back
Top Bottom