First Reg and Octo

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Splash92

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
25 - 49
Looking at buying my own equipment and looking for some recommendations and advice. Looking for dependability that won't break the bank. I primarily drive in warmer water both salt and fresh. For my primary I've been looking at Atomic's B2 sealed first stage and Cressi's XS octopus.

Splash,
I was in the same place as you a month or so ago, and did a lot of online research.

Link here.

Aqua lung legend lx get it checked and serviced you won't have to buy parts just pay for time

@Splash92 I wouldn't personally mix brands unless you have a dealer that can service both and even then you may want to avoid it.

First things first. All divers need to own an IP gauge, especially those that own their own. This is really the only way to tell a regulators health other than something leaking. They're cheap, but they are incredibly useful
regulators. Compact IP Gauge (PSI and BAR)

My current recommendation for regulators is to get a doubles package. The rationale here being that if you purchase a doubles set and have a first stage failure *very uncommon, but the most common of regulator failures*, then you can swap the hoses to the other first stage in less than 5 minutes and not miss out on a dive. It's cheap insurance and much better/cheaper than paying for rushed service in some random location and having to use rental regs.
Based on price/performance/features, this regulator package is truly hard to beat. I prefer a 7' long hose, but you can also go to a 40" with swivel for the primary, and I would recommend upgrading to the 2" SPG. $835, includes the first service kits if you want to DIY service, and also includes the first service for free if you send it back to Deep6.

Deep 6 Signature Double Tank Regulator Package - Regulator Packages - Regulators

If you want to stay with a single tank regulator
Deep 6 Signature Single Tank Regulator Package - Regulator Packages - Regulators

You don't need a sealed reg.
You will be fine with a Yoke 1st stage.
Buy any octo you want, just try not to go too cheap.

All of the following regs will meet your warm water recreational diving performance requirements.

1) Cheapest price? Buy the DGX Deep6 regs.

2) Cheaper price? Buy the Deep6 Signature regs.

3) Higher price but name brand? Buy a ScubaPro Mk25+G260 or Atomic Aquatics B2

Guys,
First time I've researched Deep6. Will have to look into them further. But at first glance they are appealing. I will take the advice on not mixing brands for servicing, didn't consider the potential problem there. Thanks. And the IP gauge will be a definite purchase. Any further advice and knowledge is appreciated. Thanks.

Learn how to service your regs. Some brands are easier than others but getting the service kits could be an issue.
I carry spare service kits(Apeks) wherever I travel and have yet to miss a dive!
Take a good care of your equipment especially on rinsing and washing after diving.

i would spend more on the octo and either get a matching atomic or go with dive rite/hog/deep 6 if budget becomes an issue

The B2 sealed first stage is probably one of the most reliable and best breathing regulator out there. I have had mine for about 17 years now without any issues at all (I actually own several Atomic regulators I use for different purposes and in my dive school's rental/training inventory). I'd get an Atomic octo and definitely nothing from Cressi (Cressi has been the worst performing and least reliable brand in our dive school's training equipment inventory).

The Atomic regulators are designed to increase the reliability of the regulators while maintaining highest performance with smooth breathing. Their second stage is unique with automatic venturi adjustment. It also has a seat saving feature that works very well in making the second stage very reliable.

If I were to buy my son or daughter a regulator, I'd buy them an Atomic B2/Z2/M1 as first choice, sealed version, or a SP MK25/S560/G260/S600 or an MK17/S560/G260, nothing else!

Last edited:
My advice is this. Buy right and buy once. Many new divers purchase gear based on dive shop recommendations which are made to sell gear not give the diver what he needs or wants. Do you want to do tech in the future? If so that will determine what you want to buy. Some regulators are better that others for tech diving. This is true for other equipment also.

I second the advice of using one company for the first and second stages. It makes servicing easier because you do not need to find a dive shop that services both. I do not recommend buying any manufacturers "top of the line" regulators. Usually these are the worst values. An Aqualung Core delivers the same performance as the Legend for less money. Atomic is the same way, a Z2 is a great breather, their more expensive models do not deliver significantly better performance. From a price/performance standpoint usually the middle of the line is where you want to be. I personally would rather have Z2 first, second, and octo over a B2 with a Cressi octo. If you ever want to do doubles you just need another first and your good to go.

Don"t fall for the old "you get what you pay for" BS. You don't in scuba. The tactical, stealth, black pearl, Lux, etc models are designed for high margins not better performance. Several years ago when Hog regulators hit the market they were very inexpensive (like the Deep-Six ones are now) and people were dismissing them because of the price. Apeks regulators, the design the Hogs were based on, were over twice the price. However, Apeks regulators sold in the EU were actually around the same price as the Hogs sold in the U.S. Sometimes even less, so the Hogs were not cheap Chinese knock-offs.

Welcome to Scubaboard and good luck with your diving.

Back
Top Bottom