First Pair of Fins (Quattro + VS X-Stream VS Excel +)

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

scubakev07

Registered
Reaction score
Hi everyone I'm new to SB and diving in general and am looking to buy my first set of equipment (Fins/Booties/Mask/Snorkel):)
Product availability in my home country is not as wide as the US/EU so unfortunately I'm limited to a select few brands.
Read through most of the threads available on the first 2 pages of google without avail (couldn't find any that compared the same fins with the prospective buyer in my shoes) hence my post :cool2:

Would very much like to buy one of everything and stick with them for a long period of time so I usually go for the best(most expensive within my budget) available.
The 3 most expensive in the store right now are the Quattro +, Excel + & X-Stream.
There's currently a promotion going on for the Excel+ and X-stream so I can get them both at the same price as the Quattro+
Which leads to my current predicament. I'm well aware that the most expensive =/= best so I would like to hear the opinions of those more experienced than I am (which is basically everyone :D)

I would like to believe I'm a strong swimmer since I've been swimming for a long time now. I usually use the breaststroke and can go pretty fast for about 40-50laps ~ 2.4km/1.5miles (without fins but in the pool) non stop.
A year back I wouldnt have hesitated on purchasing the Excel+ as its supposedly the best if you have strong leg muscles? But with my recent ankle sprain(ATFL/PTFL injury), I'm no longer so sure as I'm afraid of aggravating my injury with such a stiff fin.
Seems to me like the X-Stream being so flexible would be my best option for my ankle but I've heard reviews saying they lack power in current?

To sum it up, strong swimmer with ankle injury looking for a good fin(Frog Kick/Flutter).

It appears to me that the Excel + is on one end of the spectrum and the X-Stream on the other with the Quattro + in the middle.
Any help would be greatly appreciated :blinking:
Thanks in advance

Regards Kev

The Quattro is a solid fin that can do most kicks very well, lots of divers have used these for many years. I've had them and they are a very good fin. For me, speed isn't a priority, an efficient fin is. Because of your ankle injury I would suggest a few different fins (UTD fin, HOG tech fin) but I assume those may be unavailible in you country ( which is?).

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

To sum it up, strong swimmer with ankle injury looking for a good fin(Frog Kick/Flutter).

Can you try them on? Can you do a few laps in the pool and take them back? I think the fit is very important and you have to at least try them on wet to get the feel for it, much better: swim a few laps in them. I suspect your ankle will not like the flutter kick anyway... but it should heal. And then you'll have an excuse to buy new fins.

@decompression Singapore
@dmaziuk most of the dive shops here don't have a try before you buy policy. Tried asking though

Sent from my D5833 using Tapatalk

Well if you're swimming anyway, consider a pair of e.g. burners or blue zoomers and a roll of K-Tape for your ankle -- put in a few laps in those with the kickboard (gently) and see how well your ankle can take it.

I have been using the old Quattro during almost 5 years and I am very happy with them.
I made some research about the improved Mares Avanti Quattro Plus and probably will be my new fins next year.

I would recommend the Quattros. I have the older version and they are great fins. The Excels may be too stiff for you given your ankle and the Xstreams are not durable. The middle rubber portion split from the outer rubber frame on my girlfriend's fins after only 60 dives.

I tried Excels and didn't like them. I tried several fins back to back one day and the Excels were the least efficient and most laborious of the pack. I didn't care for the X-Streams either; seemed like a gimmick laden product to justify jacking up the price. It didn't swim any better than a $60 fin.

With diving fins, more expensive is rarely better, unless you are looking at freediving fins. Good composite long blade fins are well worth the expense and are excellent for scuba diving, but scuba fins are all pretty much all cheap fins. So, don't spend more money on them than they are worth. A good metric for regular fins is to find a fin with a soft tip. This is the part that turns the edge vortices and makes thrust. Excels are very stiff at the tip. They are very much just a paddle. IMO - Better to find a good rubber fin.

I've been diving Quattros for 20 years now and love them. I think they are the best non-freediving full foot fins out there by far, and the open heel versions are excellent as well. They are certainly easier on the ankles than a full rubber fin, and are not so negatively buoyant.

The X-streams are gimmicky, I don't know anything about the Excells.

When I need new fins, I don't even bother looking for anything other than Quattros since I don't need heavy feet.

-Chris

I have been using the old Quattro during almost 5 years and I am very happy with them.
I made some research about the improved Mares Avanti Quattro Plus and probably will be my new fins next year.

I don't think the new plus version is improved, just more "twisty", I sold them.

I wouldn't buy the X Streams, a few too many reports of them snapping at the hinge joints.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom