First ocean open water, so disappointed

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

to get some practice for our trip to Thailand in June.
Just a thought, but Thailand is a long trip. If it's possible, can you try for a shorter trip to somewhere like Belize which would be much closer The hassle of traveling, time zones, lugging gear, transfers, etc. would be much less on a shorter trip with arguably the same or better diving than Thailand. (Of coure if it's not possible, follow the great advice that others have offered previously.)

Just a thought, but Thailand is a long trip. If it's possible, can you try for a shorter trip to somewhere like Belize which would be much closer The hassle of traveling, time zones, lugging gear, transfers, etc. would be much less on a shorter trip with arguably the same or better diving than Thailand. (Of coure if it's not possible, follow the great advice that others have offered previously.)

Are you saying that she should cancel her trip to Thailand?

Someone earlier mentioned a "better and easier" dive site and he is absolutely correct. Plan at trip to Key Laro, FL in June. You will not have to wear a wetsuit at all. The water temp will be 84 degrees and you can dive 30 ft. reefs with tons and tons of fish and visibility you wouldn't believe. That's the problem when we fall in love, or want to fall in love with diving. It really depends on where and when you do it. And it is definitely an expensive hobby. If you truly want to dive and want the easiest diving possible, it's either in the Florida Keys in the summer or Cozumel. But you have to pay the price. I live in Lousiana so it's not a real stretch for me to do to Key Largo or Cozumel. It ain't free but like I said diving is an expensive sport if you want "easy diving." In the summer, both places, no wetsuit. Key Largo for shallow (30ft.) reef dives, Cozumel for deeper dives. But Coz, oh incredible Cozumel. Always 100 ft. visibility and just drift along in the current. For those of you who "fear" drift diving, don't. It's the easiest diving you will ever do (in Cozumel). There's a reason why Cozumel is the number one diving destination in the Western Hemisphere. It's warm and easy. Even in February you can wear a 3/2 weightsuit. The water temp is 81. If you really, really want to fall in love with diving, do it where it is easy. That's why I will never live more than 50 miles from diving. I shot that 65lb Amberjack in my picture just 30 miles off the coast of Lousiana. But for you Pacific divers and landlocked divers...you are just gonna have to resolve yourselves that to get high viz when diving and warm water you are gonna have to put out some money.

If you have the time and money do a long weekend in Cozumel and get into the water there where you can do a check out dive, get your weight figured out, get comfortable. It will ease your mind about the Thailand trip.

As far as the area you were diving in, that woudnt be my first choice to take a new diver.

Get a few under your belt in an easier environment.

People seem to be forgetting, MOST people have finite resources of both time and money. The OP is going to Thailand. It is in June. She is going. She isn't changing her vacation because of suggestion from strangers on the internet.

She got a little tumbled doing what a pretty challenging dive in an exposure suit she never wore into a low visibility situation. NOTHING LIKE THAILAND.

Jackie, you will be fine, you will have an awesome time. Thailand will be great. Better visibility, warmer waters, you will be getting dives that are more appropriate to you level. You will learn a ton. By the end of the first couple of days you will be an old salt.

What I might try to do before going all the way to Thailand is to do a couple of small dives closer to home to get you over the "hump".

Jackie - doing it the way you did was very hard. New gear, new site (and it sounds like a fairly difficult one as well) and first OW dive without an instructor - three big steps to overcome mentally.

I was lucky in that I learned in poor vis with a thick wetsuit, hood, gloves etc. It does all add up to a lot to take in when you add it all on one dive. Get an instructor, divemaster or experienced buddy to take you out for a nice calm dive at an easy site. Get used to the gear both on land (even do a few trial don/doff sessions in the house) and in the water.

BTW I still dive with thick wetsuit, hood, gloves etc but I always give myself a few minutes between gearing up and splashing esp if doing a shore entry (and discuss it with my buddy). If I splash without that pause to catch my breath (more for relaxing tbh), I will try to take a couple of minutes floating on my back to just concentrate on getting relaxed.

Thailand is about as welcoming to inexperienced divers as a place can be. Diving from a boat, probably full of other relatively inexperienced divers, with a divemaster who is accustomed to just such a clientele, into warm clear water will be like night and day from your experience wading into the surf at La Jolla Shores. Aside from it being a long trip, there's little practical difference between the diving experience in the tourist meccas of Thailand and any other such places in the world. Have fun and put the past behind you.

Yes, I'm sure you'll be fine in Thailand, it'll be a totally different kettle of fish! (pun intended :D). Just don't drink too much Chang the night before your dives :wink:

Have a great time!!

ps, fwiw Singha is a better beer than Chang, imho

Last edited:
Hey Jackie, don't let La Jolla get you down. A few of us went there last summer for a couple dives while on our way home from another spot, and it was pretty difficult - between the four of us diving, we have probably 5k dives or so, two people thumbed the dives, two of us (me and one other) made the dives, but they were pretty hard work due to surge and currents. The viz wasn't an issue since we are used to 3' on a good day.

Thailand will be like diving in the pool!

Remember: any diver can call a dive for any reason, at any time, with no repercussions. Every experienced diver I know, myself included, has thumbed a dive for a variety of reasons. It's just a dive, don't sweat it...

I have not been down to SD to dive yet but California diving is not easy! The cold water, lots of required gear that squeezes the poo out of you and all the other factors that make California diving so unique and fun...but challenging!

This is the only place I have gone diving to date but look forward to seeing what all this talk about shorties, 3 mil suits and 100 + vis is all about.

Keep diving and know you already did something that is hard for most people, you thumbed a dive!

Back
Top Bottom