first ocean dives--Help!

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Thank you for all the sound advice. My husband and I were certified last May and then took the advanced course in August. My husband is totally comfortable, but I was not necessarily a great water person before. We are going to get some refresher pool time before we go with our local dive shop.

I first went diving in Key Largo after I had dove at quite a number of places, all boat dives with divemasters. Imagine my surprise when the boat went out to the dive site, the captain gave a briefing and essentially said see you in in an hour or at 500 psi, whichever comes first.

I must admit there was some concern at that point, because this was a new ballgame for me. Fortunately, I was with a small group who had been through all this before and they put my mind at ease. I think my biggest fear was knowing where the boat was and particularly if I managed to get separated from my buddy. The most common good advice was DON'T PANIC. The boat is always (well almost always) on the surface, and if you are lost, just make a safe ascent (being very aware of any boats on the surface), find your boat (hopefully), signal you are OK and then resubmerge to swim in the direction of the boat (assuming some distance). If you don't spot your boat, any boat will hopefully do - the Keys operators are all the time picking up divers from other boats and getting them back to where they should be. Maybe a little embarassing, but not worth getting stressed out.

Some operations seem to cater to more experienced divers and some seem to be tuned in to less experienced folks. IMHO you would certainly want to use one of the latter. On my last trip to Largo I tried out two operators, Key Divers operating out of Bud & Mary's in Islamorada and Conch Republic Divers out of Tavernier. I felt that both ran excellent operations. For your trip I suggest Key Divers because they put a guide in the water with each dive group and I suspect they would even be able to supply a personal guide (for $$) if you chose to do so. Conch Republic is my choice now when I visit Largo - they are great folks, have nice boats and generally let divers dive their own plans, within the general constraints of the site that has been chosen.

Others have offered up excellent advice with regard to signals, surface marker bouys, etc. Many operations will require that you wear a snorkel. In the Keys, I have found this to be generally good practice.

I think my biggest worry would be the weather and surface conditions. The water can get pretty rough and some boats do go out even if it is fairly rough. Probably not the place to be for first time open water divers.

Good luck.:lotsalove:

I agree both with the advice to get a guide and to take seasickness meds. I did my first ocean dive with Pro Divers in Fort Lauderdale and paid extra to have a DM be my buddy (I was buddyless). It obviously helped with the safety aspect, but also really helped my peace of mind...easily making it worth the extra $$. Also I have spend a lot of time on boats on lakes so I didn't think I would get sea sick...boy was I wrong, it almost prevented me from diving that day. A huge storm had just blown through and the waves were crazy, most of the new divers got sea sick that day, so play it safe and take some meds or get the patch before the sea sickness hits.

Lots of great advice here. I'll second getting a DM in the water with you if you want one. If nothing else, you'll get a guided tour from someone who knows where all the cool stuff is. If you're ready for Advanced Open water or want to do a speciality, it's probably the same price, or slightly more than the same number of guided dives.

Diving Key Largo is FUN, enjoy it, Most of the diving is on reefs no deeper than 40ft or so. The wrecks are deeper, but you need AOW. On the reefs, current is rarely any kind of an issue, but it sometimes can get a bit rough.

Please, Please tell the crew that you're new to the area. They see lots of new divers and know exactly what you need. They bend over backwards helping you out. You also tend to run into friendly people on dive boats. Personally, I love the people at Conch Republic and the folks at Scuba-do, especially when it comes to new divers.

You & your hubby need to buddy-up with the DM, someone will be his/her partner.....

When in April will you be in Largo? I am running a trip down and diving April 10-12th and you are more than welcome to join our group.

We have divers ranging from new OW certs to Instructors and will be diving several sites well suited to your diving experiences so far...

If interested let me know, I can pass on the group rates since we have the boats to ourselves. We can take care of everything...

This is an annual trip for our shop and loads of fun...(not to mention a great way to meet new divers! :D )

Welcome aboard!

When in April will you be in Largo? I am running a trip down and diving April 10-12th and you are more than welcome to join our group.

We have divers ranging from new OW certs to Instructors and will be diving several sites well suited to your diving experiences so far...

If interested let me know, I can pass on the group rates since we have the boats to ourselves. We can take care of everything...

This is an annual trip for our shop and loads of fun...(not to mention a great way to meet new divers! :D )

Welcome aboard!

See, thats whats great about Scubaboard !
I'm sure you'll have a great time. I look forward to your report.

I love this board. I am so glad I found it. We are going April 4-10. I really appreciate the offer. That would have been perfect for us. Wouldn't want to change your date??:) We are going to get a guide. I think that would make me feel better knowing we are with someone who knows the area. We are only diving one day since my daughter will be with us and she is too young to take OW yet. Again, everyone has been great and I appreciate all the responses.

If you haven't set up a charter yet I highly recommend Florida Keys Dive Center in Tavernier, I use them every year and consider them one of the best. They have nice, comfortable boats, very experienced staff and will take great care of you. You can even take your daughter aboard (nominal fee) if she wants to ride or even snorkel while you dive...

Either way you should have no trouble finding a LDS to use that will accomodate all your needs...

Enjoy your trip!

(if you decide to contact Florida Keys Dive Center ask for Jason/Tom or Joe)

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom