First NJ Dive: Pinta. What to expect?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Matt P:
Just so that I'm clear on why people are opposed to ponies:

Is it that they simply believe a diver will see it as an additional air supply which can be used to extend the dive? Is there some other hidden danger? Or, is it simply that they prefer doubles?

I have a regular dive buddy who is pretty good (relative to my rent-a-buddies). But, he's a newbie too like me. There have been moments where we are in plain sight of each other but I couldn't get his attention. For example - if one of us is leading the other. Or, sometimes he'll do a swim-through on a structure where I prefer to do a swim-around. I can still see him, but we're out of reach. We haven't had an incident yet. But, that is the sort of situation that has me thinking about having an alternate air source.

I trust the buddy system to a certain extent. But, when it hits the fan, ultimately I'm the one responsible for me. Accidents don't care that my OW book said my buddy is supposed to help me out.
When it comes down to it, diving is a solitary sport. Rely on yourself not your buddy. I personally dive with doubles now. I feel much safer than if i had a pony bottle. The only thing is they are heavy to get back on the boat in rough seas(probably not as bad for guys).

First, NJ diving is advance diving. It can also be a fun as diving in Florida or anywhere else. Plan your dive and dive your plan is the most important thing to remember. And advance diving practices require you to plan your gas supply on the rule of thirds.

If you are diving an AL 80 then you will have a rather short NJ dive. Taking a pony bottle to extend recreational bottom times should never be the reason to tote one. It is a back up for emergencies for you and your buddy.

Diving with a pony tank presents other problems, especially trim and buoyancy. It is imperative that one practices using a pony at your local training facility before donning it for a NJ dive. I agree that slinging the tank is the best way to carry the pony tank. This will have the least impact your trim and buoyancy.

For NJ diving, if a pony tank is required for the single tank diver, your SAC should determine the size tank one would need in an emergency. For most average size men, a 40-60 CuFt tank will bring you to the surface in a safe manner doing and 30 feet per minute ascent and safety stop.

Back
Top Bottom