First NJ Dive: Pinta. What to expect?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I dove the Pinta on the 4th of July. They may not grief you if you are diving with an instructor, if he has redundant gas. It was 93 degrees topside with 0-2 ft seas.It was 45 degrees at 85ft. Viz was about 20' which I thought pretty good. I was diving a 6.5 F/J and started to get chilled at about 30 minutes.

Tons of starfish and mussels, sea bass, only one lobster and he was totally unreachable. It was awesome for the first Jersey wreck. We then dove the Travis Tug, and the viz to 40-50 was about 6ft. Then it just opened up and the entire outline of the wreck was below you.....

I hoping to get another wreck trip in this year. Good luck with your trip, it's addictive!!

Matt19380:
One guy up wind of me got sea-sick. He leaned over the rail and tossed his cookies. It was a very windy day. Thank God I was wearing a rain coat. Ugh!

It's no big deal. I've lost it on several boats. Just go to the side, do your business, rinse out and that's that. Feels tons better if it has to be done. Would rather just do it and get on with my day than feel sick.

Matt19380:
Colder than I'm used to...well, I'm used to the quarry.

Then you'll be fine. I was talking in reference to the warm water diving you'd mentioned.

Matt19380:
I have a mesh bad very similar to this one. I was planning on bringing it on the boat. http://www.scubatoys.com/store/detail.asp?product_id=BG320

The bag is fine.

Regarding the pony, they'll likely let you skip it. I've dived from an NJ boat without one when there was a trip led by a divemaster. That was over a year ago though, so they may have gotten more strict. You're instrutor can double-check all that.

As for what to do about a pony, there's mass quantities of posts on that topic elsewhere on the board. Doubles vs. Ponies, how to carry, (back or sling), if you go the pony route, etc. Hold off on diving into THAT whole mess until you have some time to really read it all. As you might imagine, some strong opinions on all sides of the issue. The good news is you get to pick for yourself in any case!

Have fun!
Scott

Most of the boats I have been on now require a pony or doubles at anything over 80 feet. The Pinta sits in 85 feet and you hit the wreck at like 55. I would check with the instructor but I doubt they will require you to have pony. My advice would be to relax, have fun and enjoy it. The temps off the coast of Jersey are usually very close to what you encounter in the quarries, so pick your undergarments accordingly. Good Luck and have fun.

genxweb:
I personally carry a 40 cf bottle with 28% mix in it on any boat dive. I have the bottle slung like a deco bottle would be to easily reach the guages and to turn it on.

Don't you turn it on before you splash? If so reaching to turn it on isn't issue, because it should be bungied to the rail when you turn it on.

genxweb:
I would suggest asking the local shop if they rent one and using it in that manner. It would not require extra training and make for a good hand / arm rest while you are in good trim :)

That's the same config I use, and I don't know that I'd agree with THAT exactly! I'd not want to make my first dive slinging a stage bottle be my first ocean dive, and to 90'!

BTW - Mike, when we gonna get together down off LBI again? Tuna Seazue blew an engine today, so I'm scrambling to find another boat tomorrow! May get on Dina Dee.

Matt19380:
Colder than I'm used to...well, I'm used to the quarry. I've been down in the 85 ffw range in June. Yep, that was cold. Should I expect colder water on the Pinta? Or will it be similar? I'm trying to decide what to wear under my drysuit.

90' in the ocean will likely be a bit colder than at Dutch, you'll surely feel it more with current, surge, dark, and low viz!

:)

I wear a DUI trilam suit with patagonia polypro long johns and a BARE 200g thinsulate suit and am usually fine for up to an hour. Sometime I add a second layer of the patagonia.

As has been said, most boats require a pony, some will let you get by with your octo provided you are with a DM or above so if you are with your instructor you should be ok. That being said it wouldn't be a bad idea for you to have the pony with you. I would not recommend that a beginner sling a pony but instead get a mounting bracket and attach it to your tank.

RJP3:
BTW - Mike, when we gonna get together down off LBI again? Tuna Seazue blew an engine today, so I'm scrambling to find another boat tomorrow! May get on Dina Dee.

True about slinging it may not be for every one but i found that to me more comfy and easy to handle then the back mount. I usally leave it off till I hit depth. I had a few issues on splash in of it free flowing or a wave hitting it causing the free flow. The reg been service and it is all good but for some reason just too touchy.

As far as next trip down not sure i need to make sure my stomach can handle another puke session. I am prob going out on happy days on july 30th with the local dive shop off of deleware but would love to get back out on Tuna, cant say enough nice things about them and how patient they where with me being so sea sick that day. RJP check miss atlantic city if tuna not running they are a short drive from egg harbor or so I have heard. i want to get at least two more ocean dives in before the end of the season. though money tight as i started upgrading all my equipment and started dive master.

Sorry back on topic. I would just show up for the dive pony or no pony, if you are diving under the supervision of the instructor I would think he would of made sure of what you would need for the dive and briefed you on it. I would put the the trust blame on him. Either way have a great dive.

Update

Ok - I talked with the instructor. He said a pony isn't required but it isn't a bad idea either. He offered an alternative: an H valve. My understanding is that it is a value coming off the tank that allows two separate octo's. Is this correct? Does it really add any additional layer of security?

He suggested that if I do rent a pony that I sling an aluminum 40. I like the idea of a pony but want to dive one in the quarry before attempting it in the atlantic. It got the sense that it isn't a difficult thing to learn. Charge it before the dive so there is one breath on the hose. Then, keep it off until it is needed (hopefully, never). I don't mean to oversimplify it, make it sound trite or trivial. But, is that about the gist of it?

RJP3:

Is that true?, I think that is a faily new engine, like last year!

Matt19380:
Update

Ok - I talked with the instructor. He said a pony isn't required but it isn't a bad idea either. He offered an alternative: an H valve. My understanding is that it is a value coming off the tank that allows two separate octo's. Is this correct? Does it really add any additional layer of security??

Huh?

va2505lg.jpg

Maybe I'm off here, but I can see where this would help you if your regulator died on you. However, the boat wants you to have redundant AIR supply, not redundant regulators. Doesn't an H-valve just allow you to connect a separate first/second stage to the same tank? If that tank is OOA, doesn't matter if you have 10 regs connected to it. Right?

Matt19380:
He suggested that if I do rent a pony that I sling an aluminum 40. I like the idea of a pony but want to dive one in the quarry before attempting it in the atlantic. It got the sense that it isn't a difficult thing to learn. Charge it before the dive so there is one breath on the hose. Then, keep it off until it is needed (hopefully, never). I don't mean to oversimplify it, make it sound trite or trivial. But, is that about the gist of it?

It's by no means difficult, but I would want to - and DID - spend some time with one before diving in the ocean with it. Less about how to sling it than about how to USE it.

As to not turning it on until you need it; that just seems crazy to me. If the reg you have on it free-flows, then you have a problem with the reg. Fix it, adjust it, replace it, whatever.

If you - or anyone else - needs the gas in that bottle on an emergent basis, you want the tank ON. No question about it in my mind.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom