First look at the "Economics" of a Tech Diving Instructor

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I suspect that instructors who outfit a vehicle with equipment and gasses, travel long distances, - only to teach a limited number of students would generate a loss. In this situation the issue is how the tax loss is handled.
Loss or fairly close at times. I was warned that businesses that generate regular losses are determined to be hobbies and no longer considered businesses, unless the owner's last name is Trump. If it is just a hobby, then your losses fall under "sucks to be you."

There was a lot more to it than that. My accountant made my head spin.

This is interesting, because I'm very much the opposite. I'll take as much time as an instructor is willing to give, especially if it doesn't cost me more..

I'm pretty upfront about my costs, so that students understand the justification for the prices I charge. Most people have no objection with me earning $15/hour. There is a good reason why many good instructors have daily rates. If a student simply can't meet performance requirements within a typical time frame, it doesn't make sense to give extra time without compensation. Good instructors who charge daily rates are not looking to milk students for as much as they can. Their reputation is affected by the speed in which their students learn new skills. They just want their students to have skin in the game as well if they need more time. No one should object to this. As most dive pros are paid peanuts, no one should be surprised that there are so many monkeys.

Back
Top Bottom