First look at the "Economics" of a Tech Diving Instructor

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Darcy Kieran

Business of Diving Institute
Scuba Instructor
Reaction score
Great article, this definitely confirms a lot of what I suspected about the industry.

A couple minor critiques:

(1) "Even if you are satisfied with a $46,619.00 annual income as a full-time tech diving instructor, let’s not forget the considerable upfront investment required. Tech diving instructors have invested, on average, $125,120.00 ($50,553.00 in training and $74,567.00 in gear) to get the credentials and experience needed to teach scuba diving."

The average investment isn't necessarily the same as upfront costs. For example, it might cost $75k to get started, but then over the next 10-years, you tend to invest another $5k/year, bringing that up to $125k.

(2) The surveys Q32, Q33, and Q34 might be more useful, if the breakdown was (1) have done X (2) have not done X, but intend to do X, (3) not currently interested in pursuing X. For example, if 80% of people were cave divers, and 15% were interested in cave-diving, that would tell a different story from 20% are currently cave-divers and 15% are interested in cave-diving.

I did not answer the survey, but I might now that I see it is still open. I will make two separate posts to make two separate points, and I will make a summarizing post. This one will dwell on differences related to location.

I live in Colorado, USA. I am one of only a handful of tech instructors in the state, and that is because the local market is such that if there were only one of us handling all the potential students, we still would not make an independent living. This is true throughout the midwest. I recently had a potential student inquire about my availability. He lives in South Dakota. Many of the students I have taught do not live in Colorado, so I am very used to working with students living more than 6 hours away from me.

In Colorado, the deepest diving available (unless you go up to deep mountain lakes near timberline) is about 35 feet deep, with horrible visibility. Driving 6 hours puts me in the Blue Hole in New Mexico, with a maximum depth of 85 feet if you go down to what is essentially a pit. It is really only about 75 feet deep. The only site deep enough for tech diving training is a few miles away from the Blue Hole, and it offers 280 feet of depth. I think it's a great site, but it is on private property, the owner has no need for the income generated by the fees we pay, and the owner is concerned about potential liability issues. In the last few years, we have been told diving will no longer be allowed there several times, and if that ever actually happens, I will be out of business. There is no other site within a long day's drive that provides the depth needed for technical dives.

Because of those diving conditions, the market is predictably small. Because the market is predictably small, local dive shops will not support it. Their target market is divers who go on trips to remote dive resorts with them. Consequently, the only gear almost any of them have on hand for sale is typical recreational gear, with a focus on jacket-style BCDs. They all have access to tech gear through their suppliers, but they do not want unsold inventory, so any tech purchase will require a special order. The shop I worked for when I started teaching tech (next post) sold Oceanic gear, so they could order Hollis for tech gear. It took at least a month for Hollis to fill such an order, and students found they could have the same gear in a couple of days if they ordered it from an only shop. So the shop owner said, "See! Selling tech gear does us no good, because the students don't buy it from us."

Shops not supporting tech extends as well to breathing gases. I only know of one Colorado shop that offers trimix, and I don't know any in New Mexico, where we use it. That means I have to make my own. I have an account with a local supplier, and when I drive to New Mexico to dive, I take a van full of helium and oxygen supply bottles, and I bring a booster. Buying my own van and fill equipment was a big purchase, but that is the next post, too.

I’d expect that most of the tech instructors in non-tourist locations have at least one other job. My tech instructor has a full time job as a maritime archaeologist, but she also owns a dive shop.

• Trying to produce good divers while recreational students typically just want to get finished as quickly as possible.
  • Students don’t want to commit to a class that is long enough to produce a competent diver.
This is interesting, because I'm very much the opposite. I'll take as much time as an instructor is willing to give, especially if it doesn't cost me more. That said, credentials, certifications, and achievements don't mean a lot to me, and the knowledge/skills is what I'm there for.

I suspect there's a lot of academia-mentality going in. What I mean is students are forced to attend school, and then college is an obstacle to getting their career. I don't necessarily blame them for having that mindset, given the modern "education" environment, as I pretty much don't want anything to do with formal educational institutions anymore myself. However, I'm also a personality that loves to "level up" in terms of being more skilled and capable, so I do a lot of independent learning and self-teaching.

I actually think it would be cool to get scuba-tutoring. Not as a substitute for formal classes, but more as a supplemental learning. For example, maybe I want someone who can help me with my equipment configuration, review finning technique, or teach various miscellaneous skills. I understand there may be a few obstacles to doing that (liability, insurance, agency-agreements, etc), but it's something I personally would like to see more of.

I did not answer the survey, but I might now that I see it is still open. I will make two separate posts to make two separate points, and I will make a summarizing post. This one will dwell on differences related to location.

I live in Colorado, USA. I am one of only a handful of tech instructors in the state, and that is because the local market is such that if there were only one of us handling all the potential students, we still would not make an independent living. This is true throughout the midwest. I recently had a potential student inquire about my availability. He lives in South Dakota. Many of the students I have taught do not live in Colorado, so I am very used to working with students living more than 6 hours away from me.

In Colorado, the deepest diving available (unless you go up to deep mountain lakes near timberline) is about 35 feet deep, with horrible visibility. Driving 6 hours puts me in the Blue Hole in New Mexico, with a maximum depth of 85 feet if you go down to what is essentially a pit. It is really only about 75 feet deep. The only site deep enough for tech diving training is a few miles away from the Blue Hole, and it offers 280 feet of depth. I think it's a great site, but it is on private property, the owner has no need for the income generated by the fees we pay, and the owner is concerned about potential liability issues. In the last few years, we have been told diving will no longer be allowed there several times, and if that ever actually happens, I will be out of business. There is no other site within a long day's drive that provides the depth needed for technical dives.

Because of those diving conditions, the market is predictably small. Because the market is predictably small, local dive shops will not support it. Their target market is divers who go on trips to remote dive resorts with them. Consequently, the only gear almost any of them have on hand for sale is typical recreational gear, with a focus on jacket-style BCDs. They all have access to tech gear through their suppliers, but they do not want unsold inventory, so any tech purchase will require a special order. The shop I worked for when I started teaching tech (next post) sold Oceanic gear, so they could order Hollis for tech gear. It took at least a month for Hollis to fill such an order, and students found they could have the same gear in a couple of days if they ordered it from an only shop. So the shop owner said, "See! Selling tech gear does us no good, because the students don't buy it from us."

Shops not supporting tech extends as well to breathing gases. I only know of one Colorado shop that offers trimix, and I don't know any in New Mexico, where we use it. That means I have to make my own. I have an account with a local supplier, and when I drive to New Mexico to dive, I take a van full of helium and oxygen supply bottles, and I bring a booster. Buying my own van and fill equipment was a big purchase, but that is the next post, too.
You might try looking for more dive-sites here:

Search Dive Sites | DiveBuddy.com

I'm not guaranteeing there is something, but you never know.

Great article, this definitely confirms a lot of what I suspected about the industry.

A couple minor critiques:

(1) "Even if you are satisfied with a $46,619.00 annual income as a full-time tech diving instructor, let’s not forget the considerable upfront investment required. Tech diving instructors have invested, on average, $125,120.00 ($50,553.00 in training and $74,567.00 in gear) to get the credentials and experience needed to teach scuba diving."

The average investment isn't necessarily the same as upfront costs. For example, it might cost $75k to get started, but then over the next 10-years, you tend to invest another $5k/year, bringing that up to $125k.

(2) The surveys Q32, Q33, and Q34 might be more useful, if the breakdown was (1) have done X (2) have not done X, but intend to do X, (3) not currently interested in pursuing X. For example, if 80% of people were cave divers, and 15% were interested in cave-diving, that would tell a different story from 20% are currently cave-divers and 15% are interested in cave-diving.

1) Upfront: Correct! I will update, if the editor lets me!

2) I can get the data out that way... It is just a matter of putting in more time on it.

Thanks for the feedback.

Their target market is divers who go on trips to remote dive resorts with them.

Ya! It's what the dive industry has been doing forever and it's why the "outdoor industry" was booming during the pandemic with people looking for stuff to do outside that did not require an international flight, while scuba diving came to a stop in many states (except Florida and Hawaii). Will "local diving" ever be a thing?

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom