First Liveaboard trip - what to take, what to leave behind, what to know?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I don't think that scopolamine is necessarily the better choice. I rely on plain old dramamine for sea sickness and it works wonderfully for me. I just got back from a trip on the Juliet and was completely fine during a rather rough crossing from Miami to the Bahamas. Other people using other meds were in much worse shape. I've also seen scopolamine screw up people's vision temporary. Yes, it is a better drug for some people but I'd advise anyone planning a liveaboard trip to try different meds beforehand and see what kind of side effects they get.

Absolutely, try whatever before being stuck on a boat somewhere, and try it for several days. Scop alpine doesn't bother me at all, however my wife will experience the minor vision issues only if she uses the patches for a week or more. She experiences minor blurring which at worst makes reading a book a pain.

I have my first experience with a liveaboard starting tomorrow! Scuba Diving California Channel Islands and Big Sur with Truth Aquatics This will be my first attempt at hunting lobsters. It should be a blast!

I have never had an issue with motion sickness, but I will go ahead and take some meclazine as a precaution.

I will bring some long pants on this as I think it may get pretty chilly at night and also bring a coat and some sweatshirts.

Probably throw a cribbage board in the bag as well.

Pretty much have it down to a big dry bag, one gear bag and one bag for my wet suit.

Will know a lot more after this trip!

Last edited:
OP, since you are going to be on the Aqua Cat you'll need to bring an extra stomach. In the first 24 hours the one you have will be full. The food is that good!

I didn't read the responses and I am sure this has been said. Figure out how many dives they offer a day. Say. they do five. Bring five bathing suits. Come up from a dive and immediately get into a dry suit. Nothing will tick your fellow divers off more than sitting on seats with a wet bathing suit. REALLY bad form. Bathing suits are your number one clothing needs. All liveaboards will have laundry service of some sort. You will need precious few clothing atricles.

Just returned from a trip on the Aqua Cat Sept 22nd.

Great ideas have been given, but a few you won't have to worry about on the AC...

Don't worry about towels. Plenty provided in your cabin and on the dive deck.
Don't need multiple wet suites. They have an area to hang yours up between dives.
Only took 3 bathing suites and wore the same one each day. They ask you not to enter the dry areas (dining area, hallway to the cabins and the cabins ) with wet clothing. There are 2 large showers on the dive deck. Once I stepped out of my wet suite I entered the shower and from there wrapped up in a towel and headed to my cabin to put on dry clothes. Really only did this for lunch and dinner. Usually between dives just rested/napped on one of the several decks. Beverages and snacks are readly available without going into the dining room. And speaking of showers, leave the soap and shampoo at home. Dive deck showers and cabins all have dispensers.

BIG YES on the dramamine. Took them first thing in the morning (needed or not, never know when you will hit rough water and the AC sites on top not in the water) and reapplied in the evening if needed.

One thing you don't need to take and is provided is the sunrises from the front deck off the dining room. Even if you are not a morning person, at least once get up early, grab a fresh cup of coffee and watch the sun come up. AMAZING!!! And the stars at night from the same deck.

For those who go on the AC as their first live aboard...BIG WARNING...you will be spoiled about live aboards.

I see several folks have quoted my oft-quoted thread on liveaboards so I won't rehash that stuff.

I will add my "how to pack clothes for a liveaboard" step-by-step guide:

1. Pack what you think you need into your suitcase
  2. Remove half of what you packed from your suitcase
  3. Remove half of what is remaining in your suitcase
  4. Look into your suitcase
  5. You still have twice as much clothing as you'll need

Best thing to pack for a liveaboard - and I don't care where it is - is a drysuit. Yeah, drysuit.

One drysuit means no wet bathing suits. No wet anything, really. You can get by with one pair of shorts for the week if you're careful during meal time. For a 7 day liveaboard I will bring two pairs of shorts (will typically wear one on the way there.) and one shirt and pair of underwear for each day. Add in a sweatshirt for cool nights or over-air-condition salons and you're done. No reason you can't fit all your clothing in a small carry-on bag, really.

The Aquacat will be my first liveaboard. I will be going in April 2013.

This is a great thread. We are leaving for our first liveaboard in 2 weeks on the AC. Thanks for the great advice. From what I have heard, I need almost no clothes (shorts and T's), cash for tips and gambling, cheap sunglasses that I don't mind losing overboard, and my favourite all-purpose accessory - DUCT TAPE.

Fred,

I too have been learning a lot from this thread. Please remember to post back to the board after your trip.

Please feel free to PM me with any other information from your trip. Since I'll be headed there in February, I'm interested in anything you may want to pass along.

Have a GREAT trip!

Chuck

Fred,

I too have been learning a lot from this thread. Please remember to post back to the board after your trip.

Please feel free to PM me with any other information from your trip. Since I'll be headed there in February, I'm interested in anything you may want to pass along.

Have a GREAT trip!

Chuck

You can post a trip report and feed me information from your trip too!

Both of you have a great trip!

Back
Top Bottom