First Liveaboard trip - what to take, what to leave behind, what to know?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

All,

I knew the ScubaBoard community would step up! This is great information, and I will take what I've learned here to heart. Keep the suggestions coming!

Chuck

What a good thread. Great suggestions from all and great humor, thanks BAMA 6977. I printed out some of these posts and will compile for our LDS's live-a-board trip next Feb. I have been on a live-a-board, but our shop owner and most of the other people in the group have not so these posts will be crafted into a nice piece of pre-trip information. My only issue on my trip was getting an outer ear infection on the last day and not asking if anyone on the boat was a doctor. I was able to get the medication on shore in Roatan during the last afternoon shore excursion only to find that one of the divers was a doctor and had 10 extra bottles of the drops. He just keep saying, why didn't you ask me? Moral of the story, "Is there a doctor in the house?", should always be the first question.
Thanks again to all.

Rob

I sort of glossed over the other posts, and not sure if this was covered. You should take some sea sickness pills, especially since this is your first time on a live aboard.

I would even take more than I need since if other people get sea sick, it will impact your fun (to a lesser extent than getting sea sick yourself lol)

I sort of glossed over the other posts, and not sure if this was covered. You should take some sea sickness pills, especially since this is your first time on a live aboard.

I would even take more than I need since if other people get sea sick, it will impact your fun (to a lesser extent than getting sea sick yourself lol)

Skip the pills. Transderm Scop patches. Put one on the night before and swap it out every three days. You need an Rx, but a quick trip to urgent care will fix that. I usually try to get the doc to allow several refills. I believe they come 4 to a box.

Reactions: Jax
Skip the pills. Transderm Scop patches. Put one on the night before and swap it out every three days. You need an Rx, but a quick trip to urgent care will fix that. I usually try to get the doc to allow several refills. I believe they come 4 to a box.

so I came here to offer advice, and I end up getting advice. Thanks, I'll have to try that next time. Seems like a much better option than trying to remember to take a pill every three hours :)

I don't think that scopolamine is necessarily the better choice. I rely on plain old dramamine for sea sickness and it works wonderfully for me. I just got back from a trip on the Juliet and was completely fine during a rather rough crossing from Miami to the Bahamas. Other people using other meds were in much worse shape. I've also seen scopolamine screw up people's vision temporary. Yes, it is a better drug for some people but I'd advise anyone planning a liveaboard trip to try different meds beforehand and see what kind of side effects they get.

Use Bonine every morning when I get up for seasickness. Never a problem. As mentioned, try them on dry land beforehand. Pills don't come off underwater.

As mentioned actually dive any gear that you get serviced. The best way to break it is to get it serviced.

Use any camera gear underwater prior to the trip. Get a good idea how to use it so you can fix any minor problems prior to the trip.

Pace yourself. Not so difficult for a 7 day trip, but definitely still important. You are diving multiple times a day and need to stay healthy and happy the whole time. The dives generally get better as the days go along, so you want to do them all as you get close to the end. Always do the first morning dive as it is usually the best viz.

Listen to the dive guide and follow their instructions, reasonably. He's from here, not you.

This post makes me smile. I think it was posted and is a sticky in the liveaboard boat section by RTB. I second everything he said. I am amazed at how little I need clothes on a liveaboard. 2 swimsuits and 3 t shirts. 1 pair of tivas with a pair of socks if you are coming from cold weather. If not dump the socks.

So let's bump this up a notch, some say "hijack", what you going to carry this dive shop/comfort items in?? I packed mine all of mine in Dive Caddy and personal bag. For me busted my "arse" with back pack and hand carry item. Next time some sort of roller attachment or roller bag....soft side. For me wanted everything with me as carry on....hmmmm...not sure next time!

Things I was glad I had or wish I had brought on my recent Juliet trip:
-Dive gloves. We often had a reasonably strong current and mooring lines that stay in the water aren't always the most pleasant things to hold onto.
-Multiple bathing suits. It would be nice to be able to change into a dry swimsuit while the other one dries out.

Things I didn't need:
-Long pants. This will vary depending on your destination and time of year but in the Bahamas in October I never needed anything more than a t-shirt and shorts.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom