First Gear Purchase -- Need Advice

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Ronniemu

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
0 - 24
I am recently certified and looking to purchase gear. I plan to purchase:

1) Mares Vector 1000 AT BC.

2) A Aeris ATMOS ai Computer Console with Compass or Oceanic Pro Plus 2, AIR/Nitrox, Air Intergrated Computer.

3) Have not deceided on a regulator yet.

Can someone offer some advise on my planned package and on a regulator?

I have an Aeris AI computer and my husband dives with a Pro Plus 2. The Aeris AI and Pro Plus 2 run basically the same algorithym so the biggest difference between them that we've found, is the size/style. Definitely get the quick disconnect and compass, and call Larry at ScubaToys for a price quote.

As far as regs are concerned, I dive with a Zeagle Envoy and my husband an Aqualung Legend LX. Would recommend both highly.

Ronniemu:
I am recently certified and looking to purchase gear. I plan to purchase:

1) Mares Vector 1000 AT BC.

2) A Aeris ATMOS ai Computer Console with Compass or Oceanic Pro Plus 2, AIR/Nitrox, Air Intergrated Computer.

3) Have not deceided on a regulator yet.

I am diving with a pro plus. Defo get it with the dettachable hose, make a lot of difference. Added bonus is donwloadable port on Pro Plus can the Aeris AI do this? good luck

Yup, the Aeris AI is downloadable to your computer with a port. I actually use the same Aeris USB cable for both the Pro Plus 2 and AI...the Aeris USB cable was cheaper than the Oceanic. :wink:

Ronniemu:

I have an Atomic M1 reg and love it. It goes back and forth from Nitrox to air without cleaning and has a 2 year service cycle. The 2 year service cycle by itself will save you significant money over a "lower priced" reg over the life of the unit. It's great for cold water and had gotten outstanding reviews for how it breathes (do some searches and you'll see). There's lots of great options out there, but I'm really pleased with the M1.

We carry both the AI and the Pro Plus 2 and I love them both. Its really a personal preference on wireless or not.

Happy Diving

I know this posting is a few weeks old, but if you haven't gone out and made a regulator decision yet I'll put in a vote for Zeagle. Excellent service, they are willing to talk to you, free replacement parts if you have it serviced annually. I've personally had my ZX-DSV to 132 feet at 44 degrees F and it performed flawlessly. That being said I'll also mention Oceanic for excellent service and reputation, but I personally dont have any experience with them...yet.

I own 3 regs: Poseidon Cyclon 5000, Poseidon Jetstream and an Apeks TX50. They are good, EXPENSIVE regulators.

Divernet.com gave the Oceanic Alpha their best rating...and that was against the most expensive regs they tried. I don't know how good this reg. is at 300ft or in ice but maybe you don't need that?

I don't think you have to spend a lot of cash to get a good reg. You are better off spending time and energy on training and travel and other things you like to do underwater: videography, photography, treasure hunting, spear gun?-I would LOVE to spear carp underwater!

Other diving equipment is expensive too,e.g. dry suits. Maybe you want to save some bucks on the regulator end and invest in that...or something like that.

Personally, I advise EVERYONE to get a backplate and harness...and I am not into technical diving. They are just so much more comfortable and adaptable. I am pretty sure that 90% of the board will agree with me on that. I use a Dive Rite Rec Wing and a Fred T "heavy" plate...and just a simple harness...nothing fancy..just fabulous...nnd can be used for every situation-doubles, singles.

Mike

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom